Graduate School Admissions?

bluefire

Graduate School Admissions?

Post by bluefire » Mon Apr 03, 2006 12:08 pm

Hi all, I was wondering, in physics graduate school admissions, how important is undergraduate research? By my estimate, I will have about two research experiences under my belt(one REU and a year-long senior year research course). Will that help my chances for graduate school?
How important are the GREs? If I score anywhere between 890-990 on the Physics GRE with, say, a 3.5 average by the time I get to my senior year, how likely is it that I will get into a top graduate school?

Just curious.

yosofun

Post by yosofun » Mon Apr 03, 2006 10:54 pm

from personal experience, i would say that undergrad research (and/or rec's) are very important for Harvard and Princeton. you may be a rare us application with a great gre physics score and gpa (and have taken a bunch of grad courses), but i believe they get too many of those types applying and thus it is only research that makes you stand out.

bluefire

Post by bluefire » Thu Apr 06, 2006 6:02 am

Thanks, for answering my question!! :D

yosofun

Post by yosofun » Fri Apr 07, 2006 7:21 pm

but that isn't to say that a good gre score isn't required. i think top schools expect students to have good scores/gpa -- they probably have a weeding system where only the ones with better stats are given serious consideration. good research just helps you secure a place.