Concern regarding "incomplete applications"

• This has become our largest and most active forum because the physics GRE is just one aspect of getting accepted into a graduate physics program.
  • There are applications, personal statements, letters of recommendation, visiting schools, anxiety of waiting for acceptances, deciding between schools, finding out where others are going, etc.

LucasWillis

Concern regarding "incomplete applications"

Post by LucasWillis » Sat Feb 23, 2008 5:10 pm

For some schools I sent in the supporting documents (transcripts, GRE scores, etc.) a little late. Some schools (Princeton, Harvard) state that any application with materials arriving after the deadline will be considered incomplete, or that they can't guarantee that those materials will be reviewed. I'm starting to be a little concerned about this, and I was wondering if anyone else has any experience here.

I know the NDSEG fellowship stated a strict deadline of 1pm on 7 January, and that my GRE scores showed up on the 8th.

The most frustrating thing is that I don't think I'm entitled to get my application fee back from these schools, even though they may consider the application incomplete.

Yale was cool about it, though. I sent in some things late, but in their confirmation email they said that it wasn't a big deal if things were late. Michigan was kind enough to tell me that I forgot to send them a transcript.

Does anyone know if schools notify whether or not an application is considered incomplete? I'd hate not to receive a letter and be left hanging as to my status.

-Lucas

butsurigakusha

Re: Concern regarding "incomplete applications"

Post by butsurigakusha » Sat Feb 23, 2008 5:18 pm

It seems like most schools will send you an email telling you your application is complete and ready for review, or they will tell you if you are missing anything. The deadlines don't seem to be too strict. If you are unsure, you could always email the school and ask them if they received everything.