Submit GRE Scores?

• This has become our largest and most active forum because the physics GRE is just one aspect of getting accepted into a graduate physics program.
  • There are applications, personal statements, letters of recommendation, visiting schools, anxiety of waiting for acceptances, deciding between schools, finding out where others are going, etc.

deyton

Submit GRE Scores?

Post by deyton » Fri Feb 08, 2008 6:16 am

I am Canadian attending a Canadian university, and I took both the Physics and general GRE tests in November just to keep my options open. Here are my stats:

Physics GPA: 3.91
Overall GPA: 3.94

GRE
Q: 800 (94%)
V: 620 (89%)
W: 4.5 (54%) (wtf?)
P: 830 (80%)

Now that I am applying to Canadian schools (most deadlines aren't until March 1), my question is whether I should report my GRE scores. No schools require it, but they all recognize it and offer the option to report scores. Perhaps my perception is skewed by being third in my class behind two 4.0's, (one with a 990) but I'm not really sure if being in the 80th percentile strengthens my application. I know it's not a bad score, but does it really add anything to the table?

I understand that most of you are not applying to any Canadian schools, so this may be a difficult question. Nevertheless, I would greatly appreciate any input.

fermiboy

Post by fermiboy » Fri Feb 08, 2008 6:19 am

Those are good scores. I would report them. Who cares about the 4.5 writing, it's not a deal breaker.

funkoliteus

Post by funkoliteus » Fri Feb 08, 2008 11:49 am

I agree with fermiboy; wouldn't hurt to post your scores. Also, I applied to McGill's medical physics program and got in without posting any GRE and physics GRE scores.