Gre score to get admission in Barkley or Stanford univesity?

sprateek

Post by sprateek » Tue Jan 08, 2008 12:36 am

Hello All,

My BE percentage is 73 and now i am looking for GRE. can anybody tell how much score i need to get admission into Barakley or Stanford or MIT (Top 20 ) universities.......

Thanks

Prateek

grae313

Post by grae313 » Thu Feb 07, 2008 7:41 pm

you need a 990 to get into Barakley. not sure about the others

woooster

Post by woooster » Thu Feb 07, 2008 7:50 pm

No, you don't even need 900....I know a couple of people who got in both berkeley and stanford with a 760. And some girl with 6#0 getting into berkeley.

grae313

Post by grae313 » Thu Feb 07, 2008 7:52 pm

no no no, woooster, I'm talking about Barakley, not Berkeley.

where those people international though?
Last edited by grae313 on Thu Feb 07, 2008 7:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

woooster

Post by woooster » Thu Feb 07, 2008 7:55 pm

Oh...they are domestic.

VT

Post by VT » Thu Feb 07, 2008 9:08 pm

hahaha, grae313, you are so funny :lol:

quizivex

Post by quizivex » Thu Feb 07, 2008 10:20 pm

Hahahah new life is given to another classic thread... seriously just look through the archives... there are so many of these... indian name, redundant question that could be answered with a little websurfing, humorous grammar errors, one hit wonder (never posts again)... grae313 giving the first response... damn it's so funny...
Last edited by quizivex on Thu Feb 07, 2008 10:30 pm, edited 2 times in total.

grae313

Post by grae313 » Thu Feb 07, 2008 10:21 pm

quizivex, check the date on my first post again!! lol

quizivex

Post by quizivex » Thu Feb 07, 2008 10:23 pm

yea i just edited my comment after realizing you were the one who resurrected this thread...

rohan

Re: Gre score to get admission in Barkley or Stanford univesity?

Post by rohan » Sat Mar 01, 2008 10:09 am

Damn. Is it too late to crack another Barakaley joke????

grae313

Post by grae313 » Sat Mar 01, 2008 3:06 pm

rohan wrote:Damn. Is it too late to crack another Barakaley joke????
It is never too late to crack a Barakley joke

samarthaca

Post by samarthaca » Fri Mar 21, 2008 6:31 am

You guys...you are such loosers...let me tell ya something...if you are pitted one n one in the ring with some of the guys from IIT's in India, you would possibly collapse before the first round bell rings...
you guys are domestic guys who are pampered, incapable of standing up n their own, and definitely...definitely...[check the stats. if you dont believe me...] have an easier effortless ride into the top uniovs. in teh U.S ...so stop being loosers and mind your stupid tounges....
P.S: Just as bad as the guy is in English, how good are you loosers in Hindi, Kannada, or Tamil..?
Aha....time to mind your business....

rohan

Post by rohan » Fri Mar 21, 2008 7:52 am

ouch

dlenmn

Post by dlenmn » Fri Mar 21, 2008 8:02 am

samarthaca wrote:Just as bad as the guy is in English, how good are you loosers in Hindi, Kannada, or Tamil..?
It wasn't really the misspelling of Berkely that elicited these responses, it was the ridiculous question in the title... We all misspell stuff and many of our posts have bad grammar -- we generally don't think it's a big deal. However, a dumb question will always get you a dumb answer.

P.S. what type of ring are we talking about?

excel

Post by excel » Fri Mar 21, 2008 8:34 am

dlenmn wrote:
samarthaca wrote:Just as bad as the guy is in English, how good are you loosers in Hindi, Kannada, or Tamil..?
It wasn't really the misspelling of Berkely that elicited these responses, it was the ridiculous question in the title... We all misspell stuff and many of our posts have bad grammar -- we generally don't think it's a big deal. However, a dumb question will always get you a dumb answer.
There may be a misunderstanding here because of the different way in which American and Indian admission systems work.

If I remember correctly: In India, students take a common standardized test for admission to several national universities, and can choose an university based almost solely on their rank in this test. And, based on previous years, ppl can have a reasonably good idea about the minimum score/ rank they would need to get into a certain university. So, some Indian students may not readily grasp the U.S. method of a holistic admission process at first. So, this question may seem ridiculous to folks conditioned to a holistic admission process, but maybe is not all that ridiculous when you take into account the "educational culture" in which the questioner lives.

I am a bit in both camps. I find this sort of question exasperating, but do understand where the questioner is coming from. :lol:

rohan

Post by rohan » Fri Mar 21, 2008 8:45 am

dlenmn wrote:

P.S. what type of ring are we talking about?

dude........ funny thing........ you just spelt Berkeley incorrectly too..... dammit..... will i have to be careful about my spelling and grammar from now on around here........ no fun

dlenmn

Post by dlenmn » Fri Mar 21, 2008 9:04 am

excel wrote:So, this question may seem ridiculous to folks conditioned to a holistic admission process, but maybe is not all that ridiculous when you take into account the "educational culture" in which the questioner lives.
Interesting. I guess that makes the question somewhat more reasonable. Still, I think it could be "answered" without a forum post. sprateek is not the first indian student to go through this process -- there must be some support on his end to answer these basic questions.

dlenmn

Post by dlenmn » Fri Mar 21, 2008 9:07 am

rohan wrote:dude........ funny thing........ you just spelt Berkeley incorrectly too..... dammit..... will i have to be careful about my spelling and grammar from now on around here........ no fun
I did misspell it, but my spell checker caught it. I decided to leave it because of the message I was posting... I'd be toast if it weren't for spell checkers :)

quizivex

Post by quizivex » Fri Mar 21, 2008 10:22 pm

samarthaca wrote:You guys...you are such loosers...let me tell ya something...if you are pitted one n one in the ring with some of the guys from IIT's in India, you would possibly collapse before the first round bell rings...
If IIT students are so much better than us, why don't they just stay there for grad school? They could sit together and make fun of us Stanford/Barakley inferiors in a language they know how to speak.

you guys are domestic guys
n their own,
uniovs
loosers
mind your stupid tounges....

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

samarthaca wrote:P.S: Just as bad as the guy is in English, how good are you loosers in Hindi, Kannada, or Tamil..?
I'm pretty bad, I have Hindi fluency at about the level of garden's English.

Therefore, I won't travel to India for grad school. I'll just have to stay in Americal. :cry:

excel

Post by excel » Sat Mar 22, 2008 12:01 am

Can I request folks to just try to understand each other and not start to fight? I know it is a bit rich coming from me, but still I would like to make that appeal...Sitting with one foot in each camp, I think that I can really see where everyone is coming from, and it is not really worth a fight! :D

quizivex

Post by quizivex » Sat Mar 22, 2008 12:23 am

@ excel

I agree!

I only made my comment because samarthaca's tirade was inappropraitely rude in comparison to the light sarcasm with which grae and I discussed sprateek's post.

On the other hand, your comment on the Indian standardized test system made a lot of sense and was helpful to the rest of us who are trying to understand why many international applicants are unfamiliar with the holistic admission process.

samarthaca

Post by samarthaca » Sat Mar 22, 2008 1:26 am

I agree my tirade was rude...but taht was just emotional...sorry for that[:)]..!

But I am still just as strong on my stand that it makes no big deal which language you are able to speak properly...I think its a worthless point of discussion...

What's the "ring"..? Interesting question...
Let's see...

Hmm...here goes...
Perhasp ring in this context, it would be fair enough to say is the stats page that shows how many of us (From India..and non-us ) places notched up a 900 + on teh Nov / subsequent tests...

BTW, to all the "holistics" view people, let me tell you something....
The word "holistic" is EXXXTTTRREEEMELY" vague...

What..? you want a schol to Berkely coz you have a good smile? Or score well on your English test..?[:P]...Hmmm..yeah...."Holistic"!!!

samarthaca

Post by samarthaca » Sat Mar 22, 2008 1:28 am

And for Christs sake, forget the spelling mistakes....Im just lazy to correct them...they are not grammar mistakes...

Remember one more thing....Indian English is "Queen's" English....which is a lot more pure and original compared to the much modified "American" version of the language....

will

Post by will » Sat Mar 22, 2008 1:37 am

It does "make a big deal" which languages you can speak properly.

Unless you TA a class that entirely speaks Hindi or French or Swahili, chances are you will need solid English language and communication skills just to talk physics with your students and fellow scientists. If that's not important to you, I don't understand why an American education is. As for GRE scores, well fortunately scoring well doesn't make you special. Physics isn't an adversarial activity, nor is research multiple choice.

If there is a ring, apparently it's in my yard.

samarthaca

Post by samarthaca » Sat Mar 22, 2008 2:13 am

wow! You have a ring in your yard..?
what kind of "ring" is that..? :D :)

will

Post by will » Sat Mar 22, 2008 2:20 am

Metaphor eludes you, eh?

samarthaca

Post by samarthaca » Sat Mar 22, 2008 2:26 am

Yes.....!

I am the guy with the "Poor" English!!!!!!! :D :) :o :lol: :cry:

Help me!!!

No seriously, guide me...yes...metaphor eludes me...

excel

Post by excel » Sat Mar 22, 2008 7:54 am

samarthaca,

In the context of the U.S. admission process, "holistic" mainly involves the factors GPA, GREs, rec, and research experience. For more information, please visit the admission sites of various graduate schools.

The process itself is not clear-cut like the Indian system, but it does have its advantages. I personally prefer the holistic system because it takes into account all my accomplishments during the duration of college.

Grant
site admin

Post by Grant » Sat Mar 22, 2008 11:21 am

sprateek wrote:... i need to get admission into Barakley ...
I thought the humor in this was that sprateek may have accidentally coined a new slogan. Barack Obama is currently the favorite in the US presidential race and happens to be regarded by some (perhaps many) as the most liberal senator. Berkeley is also regarded by some (perhaps many) as the most liberal university. I imagine if Berkeley were to vote and decide the next president of the US then Barack would win by the biggest landslide ever. I thought there would be Barackley t-shirts by now :)

astrofan

Post by astrofan » Wed Mar 26, 2008 9:40 am

samarthaca wrote:
What's the "ring"..? Interesting question...
Let's see...

Hmm...here goes...
Perhasp ring in this context, it would be fair enough to say is the stats page that shows how many of us (From India..and non-us ) places notched up a 900 + on teh Nov / subsequent tests...

BTW, to all the "holistics" view people, let me tell you something....
The word "holistic" is EXXXTTTRREEEMELY" vague...
I think most people would agree with what I am about to say.

Many physics professors do not put a lot of stock in the GRE physics exam, for multiple reasons that are scattered across this website (as stated earlier). But you already know this because people with 700’s can find their way into the top experimental program; competing with the 900+ club of international students.

Let me compare to other fields; the GRE physics exam is NOT the USMLE exams (USMLE is the medical licensing set of exams and they are widley considered the final word on how good of a doctor you will be by the medical community). I would go as far to say that the GRE physics means less to the physics community than the GRE Biology does to the Biology community, due to the design of each of the exams.

blackcat007

Post by blackcat007 » Wed Mar 26, 2008 9:51 am

samarthaca wrote:You guys...you are such loosers...let me tell ya something...if you are pitted one n one in the ring with some of the guys from IIT's in India, you would possibly collapse before the first round bell rings...
you guys are domestic guys who are pampered, incapable of standing up n their own, and definitely...definitely...[check the stats. if you dont believe me...] have an easier effortless ride into the top uniovs. in teh U.S ...so stop being loosers and mind your stupid tounges....
P.S: Just as bad as the guy is in English, how good are you loosers in Hindi, Kannada, or Tamil..?
Aha....time to mind your business....

if you think that IIT's are so damn better then why are you wasting your time giving Phy GRE?? and trying to go abroad. even i am an indian and nothing is against anyone, i have cleared IIT JEE 2006 (although not a very good score and thus i am doing B.Tech in mechanical engg in ISMU, dhanbad) but just having a tough entrance test doesn't make an institute great. the JEE doesn't consider many things of a student and thus i have seen many brilliant students don't clear JEE, but goto very good institutes like stanford, princeton through SAT.
also as far as research and accomplishments are concerned, IIT's doesn't stand anywhere in the world. IIT's are nothing but an overblown brand due to its entrepreneurial alumni, and industrial support. as far as physics is concerned IIT's doesn't have that std.

WontonBurritoMeals

Post by WontonBurritoMeals » Wed Mar 26, 2008 3:03 pm

Actually, I think that samarthaca may have a point...

May the wind be always at your back,
-Wonton Burrito Meals

samarthaca

Post by samarthaca » Thu Mar 27, 2008 9:34 am

Folks!

If anyone took insult at what I said, Like I said before, that wasnt my point....But the point is....
It is definitively much harder for an Indian / Foreign student (even the best ones) to get into the cream institutes in the U.S for competitive programs...they go through a lot more....Are much more outstanding in all their credentials than the compared domestic pool of applicants....In either case, I think they are definitively more talented...

ISM Dhanbad boy...when you talk about research, you have to be careful...You are still a very small person in that world...be ready till you are exposed to the reality...not everything goes by merit...

I would disagree abt Physics in Indian Institutes...

I think IITK and IISc. are doing a great job.... :D :) :lol:

blackcat007

Post by blackcat007 » Thu Mar 27, 2008 10:20 am

samarthaca wrote:Folks!

If anyone took insult at what I said, Like I said before, that wasnt my point....But the point is....
It is definitively much harder for an Indian / Foreign student (even the best ones) to get into the cream institutes in the U.S for competitive programs...they go through a lot more....Are much more outstanding in all their credentials than the compared domestic pool of applicants....In either case, I think they are definitively more talented...

ISM Dhanbad boy...when you talk about research, you have to be careful...You are still a very small person in that world...be ready till you are exposed to the reality...not everything goes by merit...

I would disagree abt Physics in Indian Institutes...

I think IITK and IISc. are doing a great job.... :D :) :lol:
yes of course i am nothing but a humble, small guy.. but speaking of research in the IIT's i think i didn't only speak my heart in the last post.. even students of IIT says so. i have spoken to many professors who did their PhD's from IIT's, even they say that if you want to do quality research then you must go for GRE and all. i just wanted to bring this to the light that the so called IIT, the brand that is supposed to be the best in the country is not so supreme. here people even waste 2-3 yrs of their quality yrs to prepare for the IIT JEE.. and regarding physics in indian institutes, i think you should reread my reply once again, i never said "Indian institutes" but "IIT's" there are quality research institutes like the one you mentioned IISc, TIFR,HRI (where the world renowned string theorist ashoke sen is working), IIA,IUCAA etc..

i just wanted to emphasize on the blind and pseudo apotheosis of the brand IIT.
Last edited by blackcat007 on Fri Mar 28, 2008 6:03 am, edited 1 time in total.

WontonBurritoMeals

Post by WontonBurritoMeals » Thu Mar 27, 2008 2:20 pm

Folks!

Don't take insult heaps of competitive students! People from some distant country are just more outstanding than you in all of their credentials and are amazingly more talented! U.S. Universities should ONLY have Indian students!

-Wonton Burrito Meals

will

Post by will » Thu Mar 27, 2008 3:31 pm

Maybe samarthaca is just bitter that he didn't get in to Barakley.

excel

Post by excel » Fri Mar 28, 2008 12:16 am

The IITs are excellent institutions that admit a group of students strong in high school sciences and give them good opportunities. It depends on the individual students how they utilize these opportunities. An undergraduate degree from IIT necessarily means that the student did well in high school sciences, but not much more. Just studying at IIT certainly does not indicate a high proficiency in doing research unless doing well in high school sciences indicates such a proficiency!

At any rate, there can be no justification to downplay the quality of any U.S. institution or its students. I agree with will that Samarthaca just sounds bitter that s/he did not get into an "elite" U.S. institution.

samarthaca

Post by samarthaca » Fri Mar 28, 2008 2:11 am

Jesus Christ!! I thought I was the only one with less better time to spend on this forum... :D :) :o :lol: ...Thnaks guys...you have given me confidence that there are others who waste their time equally well......
:D :) :o :lol:

samarthaca

Post by samarthaca » Fri Mar 28, 2008 2:13 am

I just wonder how many fake profiles and bluffers have made this forum their home....?
hmmmm..... :D :roll: :wink: Just wondering.....!!!That's all.....
Wait here long enough, youll find some nobel prize winners discussing their experiences apping to Grad School!!!! :D :) :(

blackcat007

Post by blackcat007 » Fri Mar 28, 2008 6:05 am

WontonBurritoMeals wrote:
Folks!

Don't take insult heaps of competitive students! People from some distant country are just more outstanding than you in all of their credentials and are amazingly more talented! U.S. Universities should ONLY have Indian students!

-Wonton Burrito Meals
dilbert is the best!! :D

blackcat007

Post by blackcat007 » Fri Mar 28, 2008 6:30 am

sometimes immature people miss the big picture, they are mostly driven by what others around (mostly laymen as always) say about the world, and they give their thinking a similar shape, instead of keeping their mind wide open, they weave a world that is biased in all respect and try to proclaim their own thought as the supreme of all.

poor souls.. :cry: i wish they someday find a way out from their benighted world. and face the harsh reality.

blackcat007

Post by blackcat007 » Fri Mar 28, 2008 7:33 am

it seems you are the one who is wasting your time.. i log in only when i am free :D

excel

Post by excel » Fri Mar 28, 2008 9:51 am

I too came to the U.S. from India (for my undergrad). The situation is even tougher for intl students to come here for an undergrad than for grad: there are way fewer scholarships at the undergrad level; U.S. loans require an U.S. cosignor which many of us may not have; also, few students can build a convincing enough resume by the end of high school level. So, I have gone through the transition, and understand the sense of inequity that an intl student may feel when s/he sees that s/he does not have the same chances as someone in the U.S. However, I dont see how that is the fault of the U.S. students. These U.S. students did well to take advantage of the opportunities they got and deserve the further opportunities that they are getting. So, I think that any bitterness towards U.S. students on this account is not justified at all.

blueeverest

Post by blueeverest » Fri Mar 28, 2008 7:02 pm

sprateek wrote:Hello All,

My BE percentage is 73 and now i am looking for GRE. can anybody tell how much score i need to get admission into Barakley or Stanford or MIT (Top 20 ) universities.......

Thanks

Prateek

To answer this question (with the name of the school corrected), I would guess you need 900 or better to stand a chance. Try and do the math. A 990 means something like 96th or 97 th percentile. Consider the average number of people taking PGRE and assume all ppl with perfect scores apply to MIT. Those top 3-4 % make a good number of applicants. Even if not all of those apply to schools like MIT, there's still a good number of students (say only half of perfect scorers apply to MIT). Again, these are only the top scorers. There are many ppl with 900+.
Bottomline: competition is mad furious.

I hope you understand what I mean. Btw, that 75% doesn't count unless you prove your worth on PGRE.

blueeverest

Post by blueeverest » Mon Mar 31, 2008 12:00 pm

Additional note: Looking at the postings above and a few research on my own, I found that if you graduated from IIT India, that 75% might actually mean something :)

trupti

Post by trupti » Mon Mar 31, 2008 12:49 pm

He doesn't seems to be from IIT. IITians get a Btech and not a BE

MGC13

Post by MGC13 » Tue Apr 01, 2008 1:44 am

@blackcat007

Grapes are indeed sour :mrgreen:

vivek.m1234

Post by vivek.m1234 » Tue Apr 01, 2008 4:24 am

A note to some of my fellow Indians, trust it will be taken in the right spirit:

1. For all your punctuation needs: "Lynne Truss - Eats, Shoots and Leaves". You guys ought to read P.G.Wodehouse even if you don't like his brand of humor - should help with your vocabulary, and syntax (proper usage of words).

2. Aren't we budding engineers and scientists? Engineers fix things, they don't go on and on, like a bunch of deranged loons, about issues not pertinent and germane to the main issue at hand, which is? Well.. Setting Prateek on the right course of course! Getting bogged down in verbal battles with nimrods, and then dragging IIT's into the picture just muddies up the water.

3. Guns, Germs, and Steel by Jared Diamond should help us understand why the West has progressed more than some Asian societies. They certainly have their fair share of idiots - getting into arguments with that section of their population, even if they hold PhD's, serves no purpose - best to let life and living sort them out.

4. Hope you guys aren't going to gnaw my ears off for being uppity :p It's my first post on this forum and already I'm lecturing <g> Still.. those books i suggested are useful :p
Cheers.

(Err.. The books i suggested are available on Rapidshare, eMule, uTorrent and other P2P apps. You should also be able to find a LOT of textbooks and GRE study material..

I'm not sharing any material that is under copyright, so i don't think I'm breaking the TOS that this site operates under.. If any admins feel differently, please let me know and I'll amend the bracketed para)

excel

Post by excel » Tue Apr 01, 2008 8:39 am

Three cheers for P.G. Wodehouse!!! :D

By the way, many of his works are available at no cost at http://www.gutenberg.org, which operates within copyright laws.