questions regarding international students in the U.S

• This has become our largest and most active forum because the physics GRE is just one aspect of getting accepted into a graduate physics program.
  • There are applications, personal statements, letters of recommendation, visiting schools, anxiety of waiting for acceptances, deciding between schools, finding out where others are going, etc.

irockhard

questions regarding international students in the U.S

Post by irockhard » Thu Jan 24, 2008 3:04 am

I understand that grad schools expect foreign students to have really high GRE scores. Some schools even look at their applications in a separate pool. And the competition is extremely intense.

But what about international students who attend U.S universities? Do I face the same situation?

grae313

Post by grae313 » Thu Jan 24, 2008 3:44 am

This has been addressed in some threads this year. The concensus seems to be that you will be considered as an international student in terms of funding, but as a domestic student in terms of academic expectations. However, because it is more difficult to fund you as an international student, I would not be surprised if it was a little bit tougher for you as a "domestic international."

irockhard

Post by irockhard » Thu Jan 24, 2008 4:01 am

why is it harder for schools to fund international students? Could you explain to me a little bit more?
I am guessing for public schools, they can only use tax money and other government sponsorships, like NSF funds for u.s citizens.
But what about private universities?

butsurigakusha

Post by butsurigakusha » Thu Jan 24, 2008 4:06 am

Even at private schools, most of the funding comes from government sources.

quizivex

Post by quizivex » Thu Jan 24, 2008 5:11 am

After hearing about all the devastating budget cuts across the board for science, I'm worrying that grad schools won't be able to fund (and hence admit) as many students this year... looks like it'll be harder for everyone to get in :(

twistor

Post by twistor » Thu Jan 24, 2008 11:20 am

Yeah, I was worried about that too. I keep getting emails from APS about how screwed we are.