what field and schools are you applying to

woooster

Post by woooster » Wed Jan 16, 2008 3:48 pm

Just curious. What area is everyone applying to and what schools?

I am applying to experimental particle physics at Princeton, Harvard, Stanford, Berkeley, Caltech, Chicago, Yale, Washington

Maxwells_Demon

Post by Maxwells_Demon » Wed Jan 16, 2008 4:04 pm

If anyone wants to, can you please post your stats?

I'm not applying until next year :)

good luck to everyone!
-Maxwell's Demon

goodfromfar

Post by goodfromfar » Wed Jan 16, 2008 4:46 pm

oh man, I'm embarrassed to put up my stats! But seeing as how I'm not going to the top 10 and won't see any of you in real life, it really doesn't matter =P

I'm applying to experimental particle physics - emphasis on detector development. Bonus if the department has any research on medical physics, but most of them don't

U Washington
UT Austin
U Florida
U Michigan
U Oregon
Northeastern
U Hawaii

GPA: 3.4
GRE physics: 690
GRE math: 800
GRE verbal: 620
GRE analytical: 4.5

But to make up for those somewhat dismal stats, after graduation I worked full time for a year and a half at a particle physics lab on detector characterization for the ATLAS upgrade. Then I was sent to the National Institute for Nuclear Physics in Italy for a month to help them set up a data acquisition system similar to the one I had worked on. Have several publications (one of them my senior thesis work on using high energy protons to image tumors) and some of those nifty poster presentation things.
And I sent brownies in with my applications! ok, not really, but I was thinking about it...

goodfromfar

Post by goodfromfar » Wed Jan 16, 2008 7:02 pm

on a related not just got an early acceptance to UF...the deadline for applications is in feb =)

tnoviell

Post by tnoviell » Wed Jan 16, 2008 7:09 pm

UF, the place of infinite distractions (in the best way possible). If you get accepted there and go on an interview, enjoy the scenary. It may even force you to matriculate.

schandre

Post by schandre » Wed Jan 16, 2008 7:17 pm

Damn you people with your early acceptances! :D
You're making me jealous and nervous for not getting one!

goodfromfar

Post by goodfromfar » Wed Jan 16, 2008 7:27 pm

haha...it's not like it's the early admission from MIT that will got!
But it is nice that you at least got accepted *somewhere*

I wouldn't start getting nervous until the beginning of march

twistor

Post by twistor » Wed Jan 16, 2008 8:33 pm

<removed>
Last edited by twistor on Fri Apr 04, 2008 10:22 am, edited 1 time in total.

vicente

Post by vicente » Wed Jan 16, 2008 10:24 pm

deleted
Last edited by vicente on Sun Feb 03, 2008 1:27 am, edited 1 time in total.

grinjones

Post by grinjones » Wed Jan 16, 2008 10:56 pm

I seriously doubt the average GPA in honours physics at U of T is 2.5

fermiboy

Post by fermiboy » Wed Jan 16, 2008 11:27 pm

Hey grinjones,

Why would vicente lie about it?

grinjones

Post by grinjones » Wed Jan 16, 2008 11:38 pm

i don't know. Why would the average GPA for the program be 2.5? It doesn't make sense. I imagine, if that is the case then that means the grades aren't inflated at all. Even so, it seems quite low. U of T has the reputation of being the best school in Canada (well, along with McGill) and one of the best in the world. That demonstrates poor teaching if you average student is getting a C+... even if the grades are uninflated. I would expect more from U of T.

calphys

Post by calphys » Wed Jan 16, 2008 11:40 pm

Wasn't sure about doing this, but I've lurked a long time and I'm always curious to see when others do it, so here goes...

I'm a domestic applicant, applying in theory (cosmology) to Berkeley, UCSB, Harvard, MIT, Princeton, Caltech, and Chicago.

[redacted]

UG GPA: 3.9
grad GPA: 3.9
GRE physics: 930
GRE math: 800
GRE verbal: 720
GRE analytical: 5.5

Two summers of research. [redacted]

I decided to remove the information that was a little too identifying. If anyone's interested, I'll repost after I get in somewhere.
Last edited by calphys on Tue Jan 29, 2008 3:40 am, edited 1 time in total.

geomar

Post by geomar » Thu Jan 17, 2008 7:18 am

Well, applying in experimental condensed matter.

Harvard, MIT, princeton, cornell, UIUC, Stanford, Berkeley, Santa Barbara, Caltech

Calphys, we know eachother - pretty easy to figure out who I am if you haven't already.

calphys

Post by calphys » Thu Jan 17, 2008 1:59 pm

I know. That last post didn't exactly strive for anonymity. I just have to try harder not to say anything too embarrassing now -- or I could just switch names.

vicente

Post by vicente » Thu Jan 17, 2008 3:06 pm

i don't know. Why would the average GPA for the program be 2.5? It doesn't make sense. I imagine, if that is the case then that means the grades aren't inflated at all. Even so, it seems quite low. U of T has the reputation of being the best school in Canada (well, along with McGill) and one of the best in the world. That demonstrates poor teaching if you average student is getting a C+... even if the grades are uninflated. I would expect more from U of T.
I really hope the admissions committees don't think like you, otherwise I'm screwed with my shitty GPA.

Here are the class average marks from my physics courses:

Course Title ClassAvg
PHY140 Foundations of Physics C
PHY225 Fundamental Physics Lab B
PHY255 Waves & Oscillations C+
PHY256 Intro to Quantum C+
AST121 Origin of the Universe C+
PHY251 Intro to Electrodynamics C
PHY252 Thermal Physics C+
PHY351 Classical Dynamics B-
PHY305 Electronics Lab B+
PHY352 Electromagnetism B-
PHY355 Quantum Mechanics I C
PHY326 Advanced Physics Lab ??
PHY353 EM Waves C
PHY357 Particle and Nuclear Physics B
Last edited by vicente on Thu Jan 17, 2008 5:44 pm, edited 2 times in total.

twistor

Post by twistor » Thu Jan 17, 2008 3:59 pm

Damn you and your superior education. My school doesn't offer half those classes. WTF am I learning?

woooster

Post by woooster » Thu Jan 17, 2008 4:28 pm

vicente, do you also apply to some canada schools? like toranto? Is there a reason u really want to go to grad school in the US? Canada schools like Toranto are pretty famous.

Since you are applying to ut austin, you may want to what kinda of people got in. well, may be u have seen it.

http://www.ph.utexas.edu/fall_2007_incoming_grads.html

hchemist

Post by hchemist » Thu Jan 17, 2008 5:05 pm

I think this is my first post. I always felt that I was an outsider due to my wanting to go to graduate school in medical physics rather than physics. But I guess I'm not the only one. So here is my stat.

UCLA - Interview
UT-Houston-Interview
UW-Madison-Accepted
U. Chicago-Pending
Duke-Pending
Purdue-Accepted
Stanford-Pending

UW-Madison sent me an e-mail saying that they have record number of application this year. Same message from Duke and UT-Houston. This is insane. I hope I get to put my foot somewhere.

:evil: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Last edited by hchemist on Mon Feb 11, 2008 1:55 pm, edited 6 times in total.

vicente

Post by vicente » Thu Jan 17, 2008 5:41 pm

Damn you and your superior education. My school doesn't offer half those classes. WTF am I learning?
That's nice. But when you present a 3.5 GPA despite being in the top 25% of the class in the top physics school in the country, you're going to have a tough time convincing graduate schools that you're not a stupid slacker.

twistor

Post by twistor » Thu Jan 17, 2008 11:35 pm

hchemist:
I think this is my first post. I always felt that I was an outsider due to my wanting to go to graduate school in medical physics rather than physics. But I guess I'm not the only one. So here is my stat.
Let me know if you hear from Madison or UChicago. I applied to medical physics at those schools as well. I'm also applying at Purdue.

Also, when did Madison give you any further details on the number of applications? I got their stats from last year saying that got 150 apps, so I presume that this year that got even more???

Your physics GRE score is competitive, do you have any research experience?

twistor

Post by twistor » Thu Jan 17, 2008 11:41 pm

That's nice. But when you present a 3.5 GPA despite being in the top 25% of the class in the top physics school in the country, you're going to have a tough time convincing graduate schools that you're not a stupid slacker.
Yeah, if you're applying to top 10. Otherwise I think don't think it's too bad.

grinjones

Post by grinjones » Fri Jan 18, 2008 12:34 am

vincente - those average marks do look incredibly low.... clearly there is no mark inflation going on at u of t. You might find it interesting that at my school (McGill) only in one class (physics or math) has the class average been below a B-, and that not since 2nd year has the class average in any class been lower than a B+. Admittedly there is a lot of mark inflation going on... but i get the feeling that this is the norm.

I find the difference between the two schools quite remarkable. Is there an 'Honors' and 'Majors' stream over there too?

Your GPA is still pretty damn good, especially with those average marks... jesus. Good luck fellow Canadian.

hchemist

Post by hchemist » Fri Jan 18, 2008 1:28 am

twistor:

About UW, I've personally e-mailed them to see if my application is all completed. The info on my previous post is the result of this email converse with the department. I have also received another e-mail from UW recently. They were asking me if I qualify for certain fellowship. Did you also get that e-mail?

About research, I've done one REU over summer of my Junior year. Since then, I've been working at the Radiology lab as a programmer.

What about you (twistor)? Can you share your stat as well? Just really want to know where I stand. I don't know anybody who's applying to medical physics around me. Some says it's really competitive. Some thinks it's not that competitive. Also, it's not like we have a websource like gradschoolshopper.com. (not sure if this is correct). The only stat I know is from the UW and UCLA. You probably know the stat for UW. UCLA had 18% acceptance rate from past 4 years. However, no mention on GRE/GPA and so on.

:evil:

VT

Post by VT » Fri Jan 18, 2008 1:38 am

twistor,
I also received an email from UW, Madison saying that they received a record breaking number of applicants this year which is over 400!!!! :o

Physics is totally fucked up due to some insane flow of students from nowhere world!

jdhooghe

Post by jdhooghe » Fri Jan 18, 2008 8:28 am

Theoretical Particle Physics

C.S.U Chico

GPA Overall: 3.3
GPA Physics:3.6
GRE Verbal:460
Math:680 :(
Analytical:3.5
Physics:740(65%)

U. of Michigan
Rutgers University
University of Maryland
Syracuse University
U.C. Davis
Stony Brook University
Pennsylvania State

I'm praying to the Flying Spaghetti Monster that I get in somewhere...

twistor

Post by twistor » Fri Jan 18, 2008 9:18 am

hchemist:

Sure:

School: Large public university
GPA Overall: 3.97
GPA Physics: 4.00
GRE Physics: 730 (64%)
GRE General/Math: 710 (82%)
GRE General/Verbal: 620 (89%)
GRE General/Writing: 5.5

1 year research experience in high-energy heavy-ion physics. I've delivered 1 talk at a conference and have a publication on the way (co-author among 3 others). 3 very strong letters (I hope...)

I don't know much about medical physics statistics. 400 Applications will only hurt our chances, unless 398 of those are not very competitive. I have a document from UW saying one of the problems in medical physics is its failure to attract the best and the brightest. So I'm hoping most of those 400 applications were from people with scores/GPAs so low that they don't think they'll qualify from a regular physics program, or from bio-sci students without the hardcore physics background.

Wisconsin didn't ask me I qualified for any fellowships....

landau007

Post by landau007 » Fri Jan 18, 2008 10:30 am

International student from Czech Republic (It is in middle Europe for guys who dont know geography well :). I received Fulbright Science and Technology award so if I would be admitted the study will be free of charge for me.

Applying to theoretical high energy physics to Princeton, MIT, Harvard, Duke and Rutgers.

GPA: 3,97
GRE: 800 (math) - 390 (verbal, for us non-native speakers it is very difficult) - 4.0 (analytical)
GRE physics: 970

4 publications - 2 in journals with IF.

twistor

Post by twistor » Fri Jan 18, 2008 11:43 am

hchemist:

Also, I didn't apply to Duke because they have a very low acceptance rate for medical physics. I don't remember exactly, but I calculated their percentage and it was very low. I figured why send them money only to reject me? Application fees are a scam... can you imagine if you had to pay money every time you filled out a job application?

twistor

Post by twistor » Fri Jan 18, 2008 1:44 pm

hchemist:

Just found this link:

http://www.wisc.edu/grad/education/admi ... s/655.html

I'm not sure how to interpret these statistics. They say that the # of applicants (118) for 2005 is actually the # of apps received by the graduate school and may NOT reflect the # actually received by the dept. However, I'm pretty sure at UW Med-Phys is its own dept. so these may be pretty accurate. If they're only admitting 17 people to the program I think both of us have reason to be concerned.

Also, the rather large percentage of people earning a masters degree makes me very concerned about their qualifiers...

*Sigh* Time to start looking for jobs in sales, I guess....

tnoviell

Post by tnoviell » Fri Jan 18, 2008 2:07 pm

Don't get yourself down before you've heard word, twistor. Just wait and see what happens. How many schools did you apply to?

marten

Post by marten » Fri Jan 18, 2008 2:25 pm

I'm not sure how to interpret these statistics.
Neither am I, how did 19 out of the 17 accepted, actually enroll? 2 people weren't accepted, but enrolled anyway? Does someone understand that?

Marten

woooster

Post by woooster » Fri Jan 18, 2008 2:28 pm

@Ladau007,

your stats. look good. Is your publication in high energy physics as well? I assume you are about to finish master degree, since you are in Crezh, right?

Why Duke, not other like Caltech for HEP?

hchemist

Post by hchemist » Fri Jan 18, 2008 3:55 pm

Twistor, thanks for sharing. I am pretty sure the stat is correct since the medical department is a lone department. Also, 19 people could enrolled when 17 were admitted. The number of students they admit must depend on how much funding is available at that time. If some professors were able to pull off more funding from NHS at later time, I can see it is possible to notify late admission announcement to lucky few. Well, this is all my speculating, of course. Interesting thing to notice is also how UW is able to attack all the students that they admitted. That is pretty impressive. My professor earned his ph.d in med physics from UW and he can never stop bragging about how wonderful UW is.

Looking at your state, I'm now more worried. :? I guess the statement you heard about medical physics program not being able to attract bright student is obviously false. You are the counter example. And looking at the stat of admission, it is clearly not true. Duke had like less than 10% acceptance rate. UW and UCLA all follows that mark closely. And did you notice, the increase in number of application UW gets every year?

Seriously, I started applying yet more schools after yesterday. I'm going to apply to 3 more physics schools for safety.

Rice-Condensed matter
GTech-Condensed matter
SUNY Stony Brook- nuclear physics

hchemist

Post by hchemist » Fri Jan 18, 2008 4:00 pm

I forgot to mention. I had a friend who is now studying ph.d in condense matter at well known institution. He is international student from Japan and had completed his b.s degree from state. He was a very good student. 3.8 gpa with 960 on physics gre. The only low mark I could see from him was his 300 gre verbal score and no significant research experience. He applied UW, UC, and UCLA for medical physics while he was applying to few more physics program. At the end he was admitted to two physics program none medical physics program.

landau007

Post by landau007 » Fri Jan 18, 2008 5:07 pm

to wooster: According to conditions of Fulbright award, I had to apply to three top universities and two "excellent but less competitive". Anyway, I believe to be submitted to one of the top schools, otherwise I am not sure if I want to leave my country for such a long time.
Yes, the publications are in HEP in effective field theories.

twistor

Post by twistor » Fri Jan 18, 2008 8:41 pm

hchemist:

Thank you for the compliment. However, those statistics don't reflect the fact that I actually took the physics GRE twice because I only got a 600-something on the math portion the first time I took it. I actually think you have a great shot at any of those schools because of your experience in radiology.

I guess we just wait and see. :?

twistor

Post by twistor » Fri Jan 18, 2008 8:46 pm

hchemist:

If you look carefully through the annals of the internet you'll find that Wisconsin medical physics has a policy of not admitting students with a cumulative general GRE of less than 1200 (Math+Verbal). I suspect that was your friends problem. Also, it is very difficult for foreigners to get into US medical physics programs. I can only speculate as to why that is...

victory118

Post by victory118 » Sun Jan 20, 2008 3:41 am

twistor and hchemist,

I am also applying to medical physics. hchemist, what kind of email did UCLA send you about an interview? Now I'm really worried because I haven't heard anything from them yet! The schools I applied to were UW-Madison, UCLA, Purdue, Duke, UChicago, UT-Houston, and MIT/Harvard.

My stats:
UC Berkeley, Mechanical Engineering
GPA: 3.6/4.0 (Cumulative and Major)
Math/Verbal GRE: 790/590
Physics GRE: Embarrassingly low...lets just say I omitted the score when it wasn't required in the application. MechE curriculum left me horribly unprepared for atleast 60% of the material!
Decent recommendations and internship/research experience.

Let's keep each other updated when we hear back from the schools! Good luck!

hchemist

Post by hchemist » Sun Jan 20, 2008 6:50 am

hi victory,

Hey, you're from UCB? How wonderful. I used to live in SF but now I am at SD.

I've got an phone interview from UCLA. After that they sent me an email of place and time of formal interview. I don't know if this is good or bad. I knew nothing of UCLA interviewing graduate students. I might be at the very edge and maybe they just want to make sure I fit in. So I'm very much scared. I better be prepared for the interview. :shock:

Anyway, I don't think you should worry too much about your GRE physics scores. Since most of department now don't require GRE physics.

victory, twistor: Did you guyz apply any other program rather than medical physics? I am about to apply few more graduate program in Physics for back up. How about you guyz?

cancelled20080417

Post by cancelled20080417 » Sun Jan 20, 2008 3:13 pm

What do they do in medical physics? Is it Medicine or Physics! :?

victory118

Post by victory118 » Sun Jan 20, 2008 3:38 pm

RG, medical physics is pretty much nuclear physics applied towards radiation therapy and diagnostic imaging. I don't know much more about it than that, so if you want to know more there are many websites where you can read about it.

hchemist, I did not apply to any schools in physics as backup. I figured if I don't get accepted into any medical physics programs, I'll just find work in the mechanical engineering field since that's what I know most about. I really hope this won't be the case! UW-Madison has asked me if I qualify for fellowships and told me to fill out a FAFSA, however, in both emails they said it was not linked in any way to admissions. That's all I've heard so far. Anyway, continue to keep us updated. Good luck!

twistor

Post by twistor » Sun Jan 20, 2008 7:20 pm

I didn't apply to any other programs. It's med. phys. or nothing! Why settle for less?

Maxwells_Demon

Post by Maxwells_Demon » Sun Jan 20, 2008 8:00 pm

Anyone apply to applied physics programs? If so, where?

Feel free if you wanna post your stats :-) thanks,

good luck to everyone
-Maxwell's Demon

butsurigakusha

Post by butsurigakusha » Sun Jan 20, 2008 8:42 pm

I've applied to Stanford and CalTech Applied Physics.

Stats:
3.7/800/650/5.5/990

goodfromfar

Post by goodfromfar » Mon Jan 21, 2008 3:10 am

@ twistor

Because if you get in for physics, you can gradually befriend the medical physicists and hopefully get a good research position.
There are also many different areas within medical physics. The area I've worked on is using silicon detectors in the imaging of tumors (in this case, high energy protons are used instead of x-rays). The detectors I used in this experiment were very similar to the strip detectors that will be used in the ATLAS upgrade...something that is researched within exp particle physics.
of course, it depends what you want to do. Instrumentation might not be your thing.

twistor

Post by twistor » Mon Jan 21, 2008 11:32 am

I'm looking for a position that's more clinical in nature.

marten

Post by marten » Mon Jan 21, 2008 2:00 pm

Anyone apply to applied physics programs? If so, where?
Maxwells_Demon, I'm applying to Applied Physics at:

UMich
UMBC
as well as 5 physics programs.

Stats:
GPA 3.8 (engineering)
Math/Verbal GRE: 710/570
Physics GRE: 750

(UMich is my reach school)

Marten

GTPHYS91

Admitted to Wisconsin Medical Physics

Post by GTPHYS91 » Sun Jan 27, 2008 5:35 pm

Twistor and hchemist,

I received an email from Wisconsin on January 24th telling me I was admitted to their medical physics program and that a subsequent email would be sent with information regarding the optional open house in March. I visited the program in December and spoke with the woman in charge of preparing the applications for review. She told me that January 24th was the first day applications would be reviewed. I haven't heard from any of the other places I applied to (Chicago, Columbia, UPenn, UCLA, Duke), not even an email informing me that they had a record number of applications this year, like some of you got. I visited Chicago as well and they said they probably wouldn't start reviewing applications until early February.

Some of the more significant aspects of my application were:

GRE Physics - 810
GRE Quantitative - 770
GRE Verbal - 540
GPA is 3.85 in physics and 3.82 overall at Georgia Institute of Technolgy (physics major)
President's Scholar at Georgia Tech
2007 American Association of Physicists in Medicine Fellowship Recipient
Research in dual-species Bose-Einstein condensation supervised by a former postdoctoral research fellow to Nobel laureate Wolfgang Ketterle
Research at Los Alamos National Lab pertaining to secondary induced malignancies from proton beam radiotherapy treatments
Recommendations from a medical physicist at MD Anderson Cancer Center, a coauthor with a Nobel Prize winner, and the undergraduate chair of physics at my school

I think the most significant aspect of my application was the medical physics fellowship I received last year. The woman I worked for said the biggest problem these programs have with potential students is their lack of experience in medical physics. I think my recommendations and my research experience, which was directly related to medical physics, were also critical.

Do either of you know which medical physics program is considered the best? I know Wisconsin has the longest standing accreditation of any program.

twistor

Post by twistor » Sun Jan 27, 2008 6:27 pm

GTPHYS91:

I also received that email telling me I was accepted to UWM. I also applied to Chicago but I have not heard from them yet.

Both Wisconsin and Chicago have excellent programs. Chicago's undergraudate program, however, is not CAMPEP accredited. However, it's not so big of a deal because they have a CAMPEP residency program which you do after you're done with classes/qualifiers. Both are world class schools for Medical Physics. University of Chicago has their world renowned University of Chicago Hospitals right on campus for you to do your residency. They have the prestige factor going for them, but the entire campus is located in one of the most violent and poverty stricken parts of the city. UChicago is a great school but Hyde Park is a nightmare.

I think both are great schools. It is harder to get funding at UWM, though. If you get into UChicago your funding is guarunteed and you don't have to be an RA to acquire funding (though you might have to TA and grade). At UWM Med-Phys there is no such thing as a TA.

So to summarize, I don't know what program is considered "the best." All the programs out there have good points and bad points. The worst things about going into medical physics over physics is the lack of CAMPEP accredited programs and the lack of available funding for graduate students. I considered applying to Purdue also, but they suffer from the funding problem and they are not CAMPEP certified (although someone in their department told me they are putting together an application which they will submit next year. From that point it usually takes 6 months to review and accredit the institution).

Congratulations on your acceptance. Your research experience is phenomenal and your other stats are impressive as well. Maybe I'll see in you in Wisconsin or Chicago this fall.