Info needed to Join a School for Phd Physics

• This has become our largest and most active forum because the physics GRE is just one aspect of getting accepted into a graduate physics program.
  • There are applications, personal statements, letters of recommendation, visiting schools, anxiety of waiting for acceptances, deciding between schools, finding out where others are going, etc.

qdevice

Info needed to Join a School for Phd Physics

Post by qdevice » Tue Jan 10, 2006 11:54 am

Hi Everyone.

Need advice from all of you.

I did my Masters in Science in Electronics Science(2yrs) and Bachelors in Science-Physics(3yrs) - totally 5yrs. Worked in Software industry as Sys Admin and network Engineer for about 8 yrs until now. But now interested to get back to my research in Physics which I have been dreaming to do that from my childhood. My degree is from India both bachelors and masters.
Kindly give me some advice on how to proceed and what grad program and where can I apply for and also how much score do I need and how should I go about from here.
Thanks for everyone taking time to help me out in getting me to know about this and getting to get my dreams full filled.

QDots.

Kitty

Post by Kitty » Wed Jan 11, 2006 10:54 pm

If you need help selecting schools, it is worthwhile to contact your former academic advisor or some other professors you knew from university. They will be able to give you specific information about scores. Anyway, you will probably have to ask at least one professor to write you a recommendation (though some places do not require a recommendation from a professor at the last school you attended if you've been out of school for more than five years).

I hope this doesn't come as bad news, but I think most deadlines for this year have passed, so you will have to wait until next December and January to apply to enter a graduate program in Fall 2007. Of course, this gives you plenty of time to study for and take the GRE General Test, TOEFL, and GRE Physics test.

Good luck!

qdevice

Post by qdevice » Mon Jan 16, 2006 12:47 pm

Thanks for the advice Kitty, but am already in US in H1B visa, working here for long time. Also planned for the fall 2007. as you stated that should I get a recommendation, but am out of contactg with the professors in the University in India. but hitherto I can try to get those from them.

Also do I still need for the exams like TOEFL still being in US for the past 6 yrs. Am planning to write Physics Subject and General Test.

Give me your advice on this how to proceed.