physics or applied physics

• This has become our largest and most active forum because the physics GRE is just one aspect of getting accepted into a graduate physics program.
  • There are applications, personal statements, letters of recommendation, visiting schools, anxiety of waiting for acceptances, deciding between schools, finding out where others are going, etc.

grae313

physics or applied physics

Post by grae313 » Sat Nov 03, 2007 10:54 pm

does anyone have knowledge or an opinion as to which is tougher to get into? I love the flexibility of applied physics, the ability to take more classes outside physics if that's where my interests wander, or even to join a research group from another field. I'm worried though, because the departments look smaller and for Cornell, the acceptance rate is lower for applied physics. Also the departments seem to be somewhat less established and in some cases, funding is not assured like it is in physics. Thoughts?

senatez

Post by senatez » Thu Jan 17, 2008 8:12 pm

You would not have to worry about Cornell's Applied physics program. Courses are filled with both Physics and Applied Physics majors. The department shares buildings and labs. It is easy for AP majors to work under any professor, and there is always available work under faculty within AP. You will not have a problem getting funding at Cornell. Being in an Applied Physics program will likely limit your ability to get involved in exclusively theoretical work.

goodfromfar

Post by goodfromfar » Fri Jan 18, 2008 3:32 am

I've always thought that Applied Physics was easier to get into, albeit a lot smaller than physics. I've had one classmate who applied to Stanford in both physics and applied physics...he was accepted for the latter.
Applied physics programs typically don't require the physics GRE (at least they don't at Berkeley)

Maybe the program at Cornell is especially competitive?

But I agree with you that AP is much more flexible!