MIT

VT

MIT

Post by VT » Fri Jan 04, 2008 6:38 pm

Did anybody get an email from MIT saying that their application is complete and is sent to the review committee! Couple of my frens did, but not me yet.
Last edited by VT on Fri Jan 04, 2008 10:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

quizivex

Post by quizivex » Fri Jan 04, 2008 9:55 pm

Nope, I got an e-mail saying they're missing a recommendation from someone. And the funny thing is I got an e-mail 3 days before on the 31st when he submitted it... It's so annoying he had to wait until last minute, for now they're starting to review applications while mine sits in the mail room until they match my last recommendation with it. :evil:

nvanmeter

Post by nvanmeter » Sat Jan 05, 2008 3:25 pm

yeah i got that email already, but i submitted the MIT app about 6 days before the deadline, so maybe that's why.

Geoff Olynyk

Post by Geoff Olynyk » Tue Jan 08, 2008 4:32 pm

Just got the email at 2:30 this afternoon. (I submitted my online application December 28th). That's a relief.

Haven't heard anything from Princeton Physics or MIT Nuc. Sci. & Eng. I'm not sure that I should expect anything from them though, so I'm not worried.

quizivex

Post by quizivex » Tue Jan 08, 2008 5:34 pm

I'm frustrated I still haven't gotten the MIT email. Everything was submitted by the deadline.

gcensr

Post by gcensr » Wed Jan 09, 2008 5:36 pm

For those interested, I submitted my app on Dec 31st, and I received my confirmation email just today.

quizivex

Post by quizivex » Wed Jan 09, 2008 7:26 pm

<deleted for anonymity>
Last edited by quizivex on Mon Jan 14, 2008 1:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

physicsdude

Post by physicsdude » Wed Jan 09, 2008 8:27 pm

<.>
Last edited by physicsdude on Sun Nov 16, 2008 6:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

quizivex

Post by quizivex » Thu Jan 10, 2008 4:37 pm

<deleted for anonymity>
Last edited by quizivex on Mon Jan 14, 2008 1:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

fermiboy

Post by fermiboy » Thu Jan 10, 2008 10:20 pm

Screw MIT, in fact screw any "Institute of Technology." I want to go to a place where there are women, not some hyper geeky, testosterone laden, Halo playing dork fest. :P

Just my opinion.

cancelled20080417

Post by cancelled20080417 » Fri Jan 11, 2008 12:35 am

fermiboy, me too, I have a girlfren. I hope my girlfren does not read this post :wink:

I just want to meet( only meet or talk to) some women who do theoretical physics. No offense, but I really want to know how they would look like. ( My sucking college has no female student in physics. All the hot chicks are in economics or elsewhere. Biology seems to attract lot of these chicks, I do not know why) Are they really hot like business majors? Any girls on this forum, plz don get me wrong. I am jus talking cool, after all, looks does not matter, it is the brain that really matters, but it would be nice to talk to a girl who has beauty and brain. May be she will ignore me, coz I sound too stupid here
Its time to go to bed for me.

goodnite everybody.

doodlebug

Post by doodlebug » Fri Jan 11, 2008 9:30 pm

RG, I think it would be nice to talk to a guy who has both beauty and a brain. Still not sure it exists though - no offense guys!

will

Post by will » Sat Jan 12, 2008 2:20 am

Women can get into MIT, too, fermiboy.

Anyway, I don't think it's as important to be with a person who gets what you do (especially because if you're any good, at some point in time there might be at most 4 people in the world who get what you do, and unless it's cosmology, none of those 4 people will be Lisa Randall) as it is important for them to get why you do it. Also, you don't have to know physics to have "a brain," and even being a physicist doesn't guarantee that you have a good one either.

cancelled20080417

Post by cancelled20080417 » Sat Jan 12, 2008 2:29 am

doodlebug, first thing( I am assuming I am talking to a girl here, I may be wrong, no offense) no body says beautiful guy, sounds weird!! wrong word choice.

Oh and for your next thought, cool guy with brain, I think you should look around on this forum, I am sure you will find one. :wink: heheheh

Guys, I am just talking cool ok, no bragging or anything serious here.

cancelled20080417

Post by cancelled20080417 » Sat Jan 12, 2008 2:34 am

will, the point is not just about a woman!! The whole point is (I think this is what fermiboy meant, I may be wrong) about having some business majors smoking hot sorority girls in the physics department at MIT. Then I and many others would all love to be in the " institute of technology". may be I would sit down and retake the GRE again to get in to all institute of tech!!
hahahaaha
Ps. I am not saying only business majors girls are hot and beautiful. So far this has been my experience in the US ,so this applies to me and my College only.

butsurigakusha

Post by butsurigakusha » Sat Jan 12, 2008 3:03 am

There may not be very many women in physics, but everyone that I've met has been smokin' hot. Way hotter than the business majors.

will

Post by will » Sat Jan 12, 2008 3:14 am

MIT has one of the best business schools in the world, the Sloan School of Management.

tnoviell

Post by tnoviell » Sat Jan 12, 2008 3:31 am

I think I'm a beautiful guy, and the only thing that challenges my beauty is my intellect. :wink:

cancelled20080417

Post by cancelled20080417 » Sun Jan 13, 2008 3:43 am

tnoviell
i do not think anything! i think blank. :wink:

cancelled20080417

Post by cancelled20080417 » Sun Jan 13, 2008 3:49 am

butsurigakusha
Then I think it is safe to conclude that you have not met any real hot women!
no offense.
Girls ( i mean everywhere) plz don hate me, its all fair in love, war and forum! hahaha

cancelled20080417

Post by cancelled20080417 » Sun Jan 13, 2008 4:00 am

Can any body on this forum teach me how to stalk people? I really want to stalk somebody on this forum! This would be one of the most amazing things that I would ever do in my life!
I will apprecaite your help!

Thanks in advance
I would really appreciate if you could guide me carefully so that I do not miss any thing when I perform an actual stalking task on the field! As a payback, I am ready to share the information i obtain after I succesfully complete stalking. ( of course I wont share if the person is a girl. Deal or no deal). I hope we will have a great stalking time.
Cheers!
Bye. Thanks again.

phoenix

Post by phoenix » Sun Jan 13, 2008 7:53 am

@RG:
from my personal experience..a good chance to meet with hot chicks working on physics is to attend conference...but it doesnt guarantee meeting with hot chicks working on theoretical physics...
well...i guess an important reason that many intelligent girls dont go to physics (or more specifically theoretical physics) may be because that career doesnt guarantee a prosperous life...i mean..with the intelligence and ability to do theoretical physics..it might be much more tempting to go to Wall street...
if you just want to meet a hot chick with the equivalent intellectual ability to do theoretical physics i guess you can find them by chance every now and then..

cancelled20080417

Post by cancelled20080417 » Sun Jan 13, 2008 12:34 pm

phoenix,
It is nice to hear back from you after our long quarrel last time. Actually, I am a retarted person, so I drop my whole idea of stalking or meeting a girl with beauty and brain. :wink:
last question: Since you have been attending many conferences and do research in particle physics, so may be I can safely conclude that you are hot. hahahah.

please take it easy. I do not come to this forum to quarrel, I come jus to have fun.
so here is my shout out to other guys on this forum, "Phoenix is hot!"( I would not shout, if i did not have a girlfren,hehehe)
hahaha
I am jus kidding, alright!
(sorry)

phoenix

Post by phoenix » Sun Jan 13, 2008 12:51 pm

@RG:
well..i wouldnt call that a quarrel i guess?..just some random conversation online?...alright..i am here for fun too...i see things and i say things, and then i forget them in 5 minutes..so everything is cool...

in terms of being hot, i would rather look cool......hah

cancelled20080417

Post by cancelled20080417 » Sun Jan 13, 2008 1:14 pm

why do you want to look cool, you shud look hot, it is already cold out here in the States!

phoenix

Post by phoenix » Sun Jan 13, 2008 1:17 pm

@RG:
i am in Hong Kong..its almost semi-tropical...

cancelled20080417

Post by cancelled20080417 » Sun Jan 13, 2008 3:54 pm

Hello all,
I am confused with the admission process in Physics. When we are called for an interview, do we already have the admission offer, or we are admitted only after we do well in the interview?
Does any body know how this works in the biology department?

Are we first admitted and then called for the interview or the interview will decide whether we get the admission or not?
Thanks
appreciate any info!

vicente

Post by vicente » Sun Jan 13, 2008 4:06 pm

There aren't many women in the physics and engineering departments at my school but the women who are there are mostly good-looking, very few of them are "ugly". The only problem is that they're almost always taken. So many males competing for so few females.

quizivex

Post by quizivex » Sun Jan 13, 2008 4:26 pm

This competition over girls is relentless everywhere. At my REU program a few summers ago, there were two girls among us, one was very unattractive and one was "average". The grad students in the department (all were guys) went gaga over the average girl all summer long. She got a lot more attention than she warranted simply because of the supply and demand.

will

Post by will » Sun Jan 13, 2008 4:32 pm

I guess I just don't understand why, if all the guys here are lonely and miserable, are you all so intent on dating physics girls?

goodfromfar

Post by goodfromfar » Sun Jan 13, 2008 4:49 pm

good question, will!

If you want standard intelligent girls, they can be found everywhere. Usually the physics-oriented types go for astrophysics. Biology and chemistry are even better bets. Philosophy will almost guarantee you an intelligent girl that can out argue you any day. Also keep in mind that just because someone is a physics or science major doesn't promise that they are a decent person. Just smart.

But you're going to be in grad school anyway - I wouldn't suggest putting forth much effort to find a serious relationship. Physics girls are easy because they are right in front of you.
Personally, I'm swearing off relationships for at least the first couple years. You guys are great, but all this emotional baggage you carry around is such a pain in the ass to deal with.

cancelled20080417

Post by cancelled20080417 » Sun Jan 13, 2008 4:59 pm

Hey goodfromfar,
"You guys are great, but all this emotional baggage you carry around is such a pain in the ass to deal with."
What do you exactly mean by this?

Actually, when I am on this forum, I never carry a bag, I put the bag down on the floor and start typing, o/w people in front of me will start laughing at me!

So no, I do not think any of us here carry any baggages( that sounds heavy too. It is difficult to type carrying a heavy baggage)
LEt me make sure. Do you any of you guys carry any baggage that goodfromfar claims? I hear the answer. No.

Ok, enough with fun! what exactly is emotional baggage! It sounds really nice word and I want to know the meaning so that I can start throwing this word around regardless of the context!

{ I see a girl everytime when I go to work out. She runs like 3 miles, I cant run 3 miles, actaully I have not tried running! She is already thin at least in my definition, which means she is pretty thin, but she stil keeps running to stay fit!
what the heck is wrong with her( she is a business majors now, hehehehe)
I think she probably is carrying an emotional baggage around in the gym that goodfromfar is refering to!}
so will you please be a goodfromnear ?

will

Post by will » Sun Jan 13, 2008 6:26 pm

"to get a girl you need to have some way to communicate with her on a regular basis..."

So you make the time. If the amount of work you do precludes that, you're on track for a burnout. As for the skew in the playing field, I used to feel like that too, but I was also kind of an arrogant jerk (not to mention a little pudgy :( ). Get over yourself and look around; work at it and there will be plenty of girls who secretly pine away for you.

Also, in that conversation you're basically accusing your friend of being a tramp. Nice.

quizivex

Post by quizivex » Sun Jan 13, 2008 8:21 pm

Ok, enough with fun! what exactly is emotional baggage! It sounds really nice word and I want to know the meaning so that I can start throwing this word around regardless of the context!
Haha that's funny enough to put into an AIM profile...
I wouldn't suggest putting forth much effort to find a serious relationship. Physics girls are easy because they are right in front of you.
Personally, I'm swearing off relationships for at least the first couple years.
This pretty much reflects what I've been trying to illustrate... guys could not afford to pass up opportunities as cavalierly as you plan to because they're so hard to come by for us.

From personal experience, it's very often the case that the girls, despite the choices they know they have, settle for a destructive disfunctional relationship while several guys who'd treat them better sit in a destructive loneliness as all of their female friends are taken by losers.

In fact, I just realized you're the girl who wrote that post about the bad relationship(s) detracting from your academic performance. I'm sorry that happened and I thus respect your plan to avoid relationships early in grad school. But it's interesting to note that my academic performance was detracted from by the lack of relationships. And the difference between us is that I didn't have a choice in my situation.
So you make the time. If the amount of work you do precludes that, you're on track for a burnout.
I do have the time, plenty of it. Does anyone else think that (undergrad) physics is one of the easier majors in terms of the time commitment? I think the lack of written papers, projects, presentations and research (for coursework) is AWESOME!!!! :lol: For most courses, all we have to do is sit in class, watch the prof, and solve 4-5 problems per week based directly from the material. It's much easier than memorizing huge quantities of info (premeds/bio/chem) or having like 3 projects for each class (business/art/education).

When I said, "to get a girl you need to have some way to communicate with her on a regular basis...", it's not a matter of having enough time, it's a matter of encountering her in an informal setting over a period of time to get to know each other, which isn't feasible if your paths never cross, such as is often the case being in physics.
Also, in that conversation you're basically accusing your friend of being a tramp. Nice.
I disagree, I didn't accuse her of abusing/exploiting the situation, I think I was just highlighting how different life is for girls and guys by citing her so-called "predicament".

vicente

Post by vicente » Sun Jan 13, 2008 9:10 pm

Just because most women in physics have an endless supply of guys wanting to date them at any time doesn't mean their life is a piece of cake compared to a guy in physics.

I don't think most girls are happy in an environment full of guys. It's annoying to always get hit on. You're seen as "the girl" rather than another classmate or friend. You have to think of ways to craft rejections that aren't too hard or too impersonal, and you have the pressure on you to pick the right guy or find yourself in a bad relationship. In that respect guys often have it easier because they already know that they like the girl when they ask them out.

Sometimes you may not want a relationship but you're nonetheless still inundated by guys asking you out.

In summary,
A setting with mostly guys and very few girls is bad socially for both the guys and girls.
A setting with lots of girls is good socially for both the guys and girls.

goodfromfar

Post by goodfromfar » Sun Jan 13, 2008 9:38 pm

@ RG

You know how when people, especially females, get depressed they tend to eat A LOT? All that extra weight they gain = emotion baggage!

@quizivex

It's sad but true that girls often get involved and stay in damaging relationships. You usually can't tell if a guy is insane until ~6 months in, and by that time you are already emotionally involved and attached. A female, however... you know she is crazy as soon as she wants you to come purse shopping with her.

But females don't aim to get into fucked up relationships. I'm sure grae313 and other females here will back me up on this, but as physicists we definitely gravitate towards other hardworking scientists, not the stereotypically hot guy who can do a one-handed keg stand. We tend to ignore random hot guy because he'll probably end up being more drama than he is worth and most likely wouldn't take interest in our work. Random hot guy isn't even worth sex because he probably caught chlamydia sleeping with random hot girl in Santa Barbara.

That said, everyone I have seriously dated has been either a physicist or computer engineer and you only need to follow will's advice because most girls dig scientists/geeks.

Sorry that a lack of females impacted your academics...it honestly is quite hard for you guys and any advice is generally not that useful. Also seems like your undergrad classes needed to be a bit more strenuous! Not having to write essay after essay is refreshing, but at some point your writing skills start to atrophy and you don't even know what is going on in the world because you're too busy calculating probabilities of neutrino oscillations.

@ vicente

exactly. Although most of the male physicists I took classes with were completely appropriate towards the females and were a lot of fun to be with. But sometimes you just got "the vibe", and it makes things incredibly awkward. It's almost easier to be in a relationship because then you are not expected to reciprocate interest.

will

Post by will » Sun Jan 13, 2008 9:57 pm

What's this crap about paths, q?

I imagine you're old enough to make your own decisions. If you have so much free time, why don't you ask a girl to go to lunch with you. Dating is exactly how you get to know someone if you don't spend every waking moment with them otherwise.

If you're healthy, wash your clothes, wear deodorant, and brush your teeth, you have as much chance with any girl as any other guy does.

goodfromfar

Post by goodfromfar » Sun Jan 13, 2008 10:05 pm

It's just harder for some people...I don't know why, but it is.

There is a fairly attractive but very mildly socially awkward phys PhD at my school who has started to resort to online sites to find girls. He just can't find good ones in person...

Also, girls don't want Mr. Random to just ask them out...it makes them feel like a piece of meat. A couple hours of conversation (or many "see you in passing") are suffice to warrant a request for coffee

zxcv

Post by zxcv » Sun Jan 13, 2008 10:17 pm

I'm somewhat disturbed by what seems to be unbalanced and ridiculous attitudes about relationships and women on this forum. These sorts of comments and physicists who express them are, I imagine, much of what creates an unhealthy atmosphere for female physicists. Maybe if you spent less time coming up with preconceived notions and generalizations about women you'd have more luck yourselves.

cancelled20080417

Post by cancelled20080417 » Sun Jan 13, 2008 10:32 pm

"I'm somewhat disturbed by what seems to be unbalanced and ridiculous attitudes about relationships and women on this forum. These sorts of comments and physicists who express them are, I imagine, much of what creates an unhealthy atmosphere for female physicists. Maybe if you spent less time coming up with preconceived notions and generalizations about women you'd have more luck yourselves."

Hey what ever your name is !!! I guess you know on this forum everyone is student! There is not anybody who belongs to admissions commitees here. So please do not throw you big words to impress anybody! No body is going to take u in to Harvard for your high profile post.
I am sorry, I am little pissed off with your post. Don bring politics when there is a fun talk going on between friends! We are all frens here, goodfromfar is from CA, grae is from CA, quizivex is another from east coast and likewise. I mean just keep the profile low and talk like an undergradaute( do not speak like Bush, you aint going to win 2009 election)

I do not see anywhere where anyone of us are trying to discriminiate female physicists or discouraging them or making their life harder or anything like that. Plz don make random conclusions
Here r my last questions:
if you are a girl, then tell me if you think yourself hot or not!
if you are a guy, then tell me how much you bench press? Can you do 185 pounds?? if you dont, then start now, not with 185 pounds,ofcourse hahaha
Be cool man(woman)
Take it easy

If you are already disturbed by this kind of talk, then I think we should go to school together. That would be awesome, ofcourse only if you were a girl!

I am thinking now how much you are going to get disturbed when LHC will confirm Witten's conjectures in HEP.
Last edited by cancelled20080417 on Sun Jan 13, 2008 10:40 pm, edited 2 times in total.

goodfromfar

Post by goodfromfar » Sun Jan 13, 2008 10:36 pm

sooooo....to turn this back to physics...

did anyone write a "diversity" essay?

The truth would sound like, "I smoked crack in high school and hung out with a lot of homeless losers and pregnant drop outs. Really, it's a miracle I even received a BS."

When I'm sure admissions wants to hear "I came from a disadvantaged background and had to work especially hard to break all the barriers that were put up before me"

Apparently these essays are only to allocate funding for anyone who might display any sort of uniqueness....

Anyone else feel that they are mostly contrived and not really necessary?
This is my very last one and I'm procrastinating because once it is in, there is absolutely nothing to do but wait.

nvanmeter

Post by nvanmeter » Sun Jan 13, 2008 10:52 pm

i haven't taken the time to actually read through all of what has been said, but here's my two cents:

attractive girls are rare in physics. it's definitely true, so accept it. (but to me, two physicists in a relationship sounds dreadful, so that doesn't bother me). however, that does not mean that as a (male) physicist girls are hard to get...you just need to adapt to looking for them outside of classes (like go to the bars or something and pick them up).

basically, i think most of you guys need to stop sitting in your rooms analyzing how physics prevents you from getting girls, and just admit that you've been lazy and go out and get laid...you'll feel a lot better afterwards, i promise.

as for the asymmetry between girls having thousands of guys to pick from at any moment and guys often having to settle for a mediocre girl...i agree completely. but complaining about it still won't change anything or get you laid...so go get your mediocre girl in the meantime while you're waiting for the gorgeous one. just my opinions..

cancelled20080417

Post by cancelled20080417 » Sun Jan 13, 2008 10:59 pm

One shud first go to Amsterdam and then get laid in the US. This is so much fun

cancelled20080417

Post by cancelled20080417 » Sun Jan 13, 2008 11:07 pm

Ok, I am changing the whole topic now!

How many of us here have really understood the renormalization technique! I have some questions that I have not found the answers yet, and some information that I would like to share and ask but ofcourse it would make no sense unless there is some body out there who has done some work in this area! My Profs at my College are douchebag, they do not know anything about renormalization group! I have been trying to email Profs from other Universities, and it is hard to get in touch with them and get my questions answered.

I will appreciate any help. I am in the middle of writing my story on RG and I am stuck here now.

physicsdude

Post by physicsdude » Sun Jan 13, 2008 11:39 pm

<edited>
Last edited by physicsdude on Mon Feb 11, 2008 7:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

quizivex

Post by quizivex » Mon Jan 14, 2008 1:05 am

I have no complaints about changing the subject, but just had a few more comments I wanted to get out first... by the way, I've really enjoyed discussing non-physics things with physics people. It's enlightening.
Just because most women in physics have an endless supply of guys wanting to date them at any time doesn't mean their life is a piece of cake compared to a guy in physics.
I totally agree. I'd hate that situation of being "the girl". The population ratio in physics is bad for everyone. But I know something even worse than being "the girl"... being the "other girl," that is, the undesirable girl in a department that has two girls, ha :wink:
What's this crap about paths, q?
I imagine you're old enough to make your own decisions. If you have so much free time, why don't you ask a girl to go to lunch with you. Dating is exactly how you get to know someone if you don't spend every waking moment with them otherwise.
goodfromfar touched on part of the answer:
Also, girls don't want Mr. Random to just ask them out...it makes them feel like a piece of meat. A couple hours of conversation (or many "see you in passing") are suffice to warrant a request for coffee
Getting an opportunity to talk to a new girl for more than a few minutes is nearly impossible if you never "cross paths" with them. Meeting someone once for a few minutes is not enough to justify taking them to lunch or facebooking them or requesting their #.

I don't want to give the impression of being an outcast or socially inept person. I get along with everyone, old/young/girl/guy/black/white etc... I was well liked enough to be the class president in high school and have a very diverse group of friends today. I'm usually the one asked to hangout or whatever and have had "chances" with some very desirable people. But again, various factors, such as their unwillingness to forget about a douchebag ex, or hard core competition from people who do get to see them on a regular basis, or just bad breaks, has prevented me from having a real relationship.

This has been belabored enough here, I'm letting it go now... but again I think it's a good trait that I'm completely open and willing to discuss embarassing personal issues with friends and strangers alike!
I'm somewhat disturbed by what seems to be unbalanced and ridiculous attitudes about relationships and women on this forum. These sorts of comments and physicists who express them are, I imagine, much of what creates an unhealthy atmosphere for female physicists. Maybe if you spent less time coming up with preconceived notions and generalizations about women you'd have more luck yourselves.
For a while I was quite satisfied that the forum members were mature enough to recognize that no comments any of us have made were derogatory to men or to women, and nobody has accused anyone of this, until now. I have simply brought up a few obvious social trends and discussed some of their implications for students in physics, with reference to some of my own experiences. I have complete respect for women and should not even have to respond to such an unwarranted accusation.

We're all used to this, though. Stand in front of a classroom and say, "Jews tend to be ____," and someone out there will accuse you of discrimination regardless of whether the statement is positive, negative, true, false, irrelevant or whatever.... I think it'd be funny to post some sickeningly blasphemously obscene comment on the forum just to get some of the 1000 silent members to come out of the closet and start posting hate messages against me, ha!

On that note, RG, you do not need to include 5 lines of apologies with every funny comment you make. Nobody with any common sense should take offense to them, and anyone who does is not worth worrying about. Your comments are great.

Fortunately, I did not have to write a diversity essay. If I did, I would say something like this: "I am half black, half native american and half hispanic..."
hehe 8)

@ nvanmeter... thanks for your input.

@RG. I have no clue what the renormalization technique is.

goodfromfar

Post by goodfromfar » Mon Jan 14, 2008 1:37 am

after I wrote that, I realized that there are always exceptions!

Honestly, I don't think most guys here (including you) are in any danger of coming off as creepy or too forward. If you see a girl in passing, just smile and be friendly. If you get a warm reception, take a chance and don't over analyze.

maxwell200

Post by maxwell200 » Mon Jan 14, 2008 2:20 am

After reading all the posts and debates here, I could not help but wonder why many forum members here seem so bitter in the first place about the lack of women who seem to be interested in them. I mean, I woudl think the majority of us knew going into it that they would get at most five or so women in the whole department, of which 1 or 2 would even be semi good looking. Bottom line, if we really wanted a career in the hard sciences with big money, we'd have gone to engineering and if we had wanted a career in the hard sciences with lots girls to choose from, we'd have gone into biology or premedicine. It should go without saying that we did not go into this for money and girls so to speak, so I never could understand why some phsyics majors looking for women discover that they actually have to go out and make the extra effort to make themselves presentable to women, as opposed to smart guys in pre-medicine, economics, biology, psychology or pre-law who can just let women gravitate towards them.

I think part of the problem lies in the fact that physics majors, both men and women, are almost univeraslly at least partly antisocial and cynical. In particular, being cynical and judgemental is almost a hallmark of physics majors. I don't think there's any shame in saying that, it's just phsyics majors, myself even more so than most I reckon, struggle more with social skills, talking to others without coming off as elitist or dismissive and working well with others. Incidentally, physics guys are mor elikely to not know effectively how to talk to women or be afraid; it seems like it's an offshoot of these antisocial tendnecies inherent in physics majors. They worry whether or not they can impress women by what they do as physicsists because they don't trully feel comfortable casually walking up to a woman in a bar or somewhere and getting her interest simply by intorducing themselves. There's no obvious easy solution either other than to go out and try it and get turned down repeatedly before the right moment comes up, hence the resulting cyinicism of the forum members here.

quizivex

Post by quizivex » Mon Jan 14, 2008 4:28 am

I could not help but wonder why many forum members here seem so bitter in the first place about the lack of women who seem to be interested in them.
I don't think it's the case that nobody's interested in us... at least not for me. I've been very well received by the people I meet... In fact, girls usually respond with respect and admiration when they hear I'm a physics major... I doubt business majors get the same admiration. Also, most of us on the forum seem like personable guys, not stereotypical outcasts... Our issue was that being in physics, not our own personality, limits our chances.
Bottom line, if we really wanted a career in the hard sciences with big money, we'd have gone to engineering...
I thought engineering was just as bad, isn't it??

My dad was an engineer... he met my mom in a business class he took as an elective, haha.

cancelled20080417

Post by cancelled20080417 » Sun Jan 20, 2008 2:34 pm

I also got that fuckin email from them, but I don know when the hell they start sending out their decisions!