Scores from November available

• This has become our largest and most active forum because the physics GRE is just one aspect of getting accepted into a graduate physics program.
  • There are applications, personal statements, letters of recommendation, visiting schools, anxiety of waiting for acceptances, deciding between schools, finding out where others are going, etc.

tleilax

Scores from November available

Post by tleilax » Sat Dec 10, 2005 3:05 pm

Just called and got mine....830 scaled, 83rd percentile...I only answered 74 out of the 100 questions. Is that good or not? I have no idea what kinds of scores are needed for top schools. I'm a domestic student, by the way.

Also, relevant phone numbers for scores:

1-888-GRE-SCOR
1-609-771-7290

KMac

Post by KMac » Sat Dec 10, 2005 6:45 pm

For an American, that is an excellent score, high enough to get you a pretty much guaranteed spot at many graduate schools, and a good chance at the best schools.

I got 780, 75th percentile...answered like 98 of them, I must have done a pretty bad job of guessing :)

danty

Post by danty » Sat Dec 10, 2005 7:10 pm

I aswered 75 questions, and also got 780/75% . My dreams for top schools have faded out just like that, since I'm international applicant....

Heisenberg

Post by Heisenberg » Sun Dec 11, 2005 2:42 am

I called ETS but my scores aren't available. What gives?

Creature

Post by Creature » Sun Dec 11, 2005 2:40 pm

930, 94%. I think I answered about 90 of the questions. Very pleased.

Heisenberg

Post by Heisenberg » Sun Dec 11, 2005 3:00 pm

Has anyone else not gotten their scores yet?

Bufalay

Post by Bufalay » Sun Dec 11, 2005 3:40 pm

My scores aren't available yet either...very odd

slightlyconfused

Post by slightlyconfused » Sun Dec 11, 2005 9:18 pm

I lurked here for a while before the exam, but never made an account.

I got a 940 (95%), and I'm not sure whether to be happy or disappointed about it. There aren't any worries about getting into grad school at the moment; I'm a senior in high school, and taking the test was pretty much a move to improve my college prospects (ah, the crazy things we have to do!). Hopefully, whatever "wow" factor I was looking for hasn't been lost because I didn't get a 990.

The depressing thing, however, is that circumstances for the last test were so bad - and I know that they could have been far better. There weren't really any "difficult" problems: it was all memorized and regurgitated knowledge, by the book. This definitely didn't play to my strengths - after all, my knowledge hasn't had time to become very broad. ;) If I had any idea that the test was going to be so formulaic and knowledge-based, I would have spent my time far differently.

But that's just whining... I'm not really so unhappy, and given the craziness of the idea to take the test at all, I suppose I shouldn't be. I learned a lot of very enjoyable quantum mechanics and thermal physics in the past three months or so, and luckily I haven't completely forgotten all the random facts I crammed the night before the test. If anyone wants ideas about learning lots of physics really quickly, I'd be happy to help. And one other thing... try to get more than three hours of sleep the night before the test (we insomniacs find that a bit difficult sometimes). :)

yosofun

Post by yosofun » Sun Dec 11, 2005 9:53 pm

interesting that november scores are available right after the 12/10 exam.

does calling to find out your score require a $10 surcharge (as it was with AP exam scores)? if so, then i'd play the waiting game until the snail mail arrives.

(actually not really looking forward to my score, since i took the nov exam while on a 104 deg fever. epidemic flu.) :roll:

eanzenberg

Post by eanzenberg » Sun Dec 11, 2005 10:56 pm

ets can seriously suck my fat cock

Bufalay

Post by Bufalay » Mon Dec 12, 2005 3:46 pm

Wow finally got my scores, I answered 74 questions, got 750, 70%...thats much better than the 520's I got on three of the four practice tests.

phayne

What the hell is the matter with you?

Post by phayne » Mon Dec 12, 2005 4:26 pm

slightlyconfused wrote:I got a 940 (95%), and I'm not sure whether to be happy or disappointed about it. There aren't any worries about getting into grad school at the moment; I'm a senior in high school, and taking the test was pretty much a move to improve my college prospects (ah, the crazy things we have to do!). Hopefully, whatever "wow" factor I was looking for hasn't been lost because I didn't get a 990.
Are you freakin' kidding me? You are a high school senior, and you scored better than 95% of graduating physics majors in college, and you're DISAPPOINTED?!? Get a life, dude.

Incidentally, that score is probably above the 99th percentile for Americans, if you want to look at it that way. And don't worry, unless you did something really awful in your classes, you can probably go to any college you want. I just feel sorry for whatever schmucks have to compete against you in freshman physics. Actually, you'd be best advised to skip that one.

Jeebus.

tleilax

Post by tleilax » Mon Dec 12, 2005 8:07 pm

Wow, that's unbelievable for a high school senior, congrats. Creature, where are you from?

ipensive

score != physics

Post by ipensive » Mon Dec 12, 2005 9:22 pm

I only got a 770 with 74% and I think I did 81 questions on the test. To think about how good I could do physics and how much I like it, the test score is not able to tell how well one could do physics. The most important thing for us is how much we like physics.

nutbrown

GRE scores....

Post by nutbrown » Tue Dec 13, 2005 9:42 am

So I called Saturday and I have a 970 (97th percentile). I'm an Indian citizen, but my undergraduate work has been at the University of Rochester... does that make me count as a "domestic" student?

nana_123

Post by nana_123 » Tue Dec 13, 2005 2:48 pm

hey
I got a score of 750, how bad will that be, i am mostly applying to interdiscp programs in biophys and the depts do not explicitly require an agre, any views ?

TBAtheEE

Post by TBAtheEE » Wed Dec 14, 2005 10:02 pm

Hey folks,

I just go my scores back. I did pretty bad--640. However, I am at a distinct disadvantage because my degree is in electrical engineering, so I had not seen a lot of the material on the test before.

I have worked the last two summers in physics internships--one in particle physics and the other in designing data aquisition systems for a physics lab. I have a 4.0 gpa (not that a gpa means much anymore), good recommendations, and a strong background in the electronics of data aquisition and experimentation. My general GRE scores are okay (Math: 770, Verbal: 590, Writing: 5.5). I wanted to do experimental physics because I like the subject matter of physics better than engineering. Enough background...

My question is whether my scores are so bad that I should just give up the idea of going into physics. I know I won't get into a top-10, but what about other schools? Will my subject GRE score pull me down so much that I should kiss my physics dreams goodbye???

Heisenberg

Post by Heisenberg » Thu Dec 15, 2005 4:34 am

hi,

Don't kiss your dreams goodbye. If you want to do physics I'm sure you'll get your chance. Another thing you should consider is : There is a dearth of women in physics today and this may play out to your advantage. Good luck!
Last edited by Heisenberg on Thu Feb 23, 2006 4:52 am, edited 1 time in total.

Nirf

Post by Nirf » Fri Jan 06, 2006 8:43 pm

If I am applying from Canada am I considered foreign or domestic? Yes, I KNOW Canada is not part of the states but in other posts people talked about how American schools are aware of the fact that many schools abroad (like in China) cover far more undergraduate physics. Obviously, Canada is pretty much like the States in virtually all respects. So, will my score be compared to American students, foreign students, or somewhere between?