Recommend for some SAFE school and suggestion on changing major

Yolanda

Recommend for some SAFE school and suggestion on changing major

Post by Yolanda » Thu Dec 01, 2016 11:41 am

I saw my PGRE just now; it is only 800 which is far below what I estimated. :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: I feel like it is high possible that I have no offers from those schools which are in my list. Therefore, I want some schools for safety, and is there anyone who can help me. :(

Undergrad Institution: east public university in top 20 of physics
Major: Physics
GPA: 3.94
Major GPA: 3.95
GRE: Q:169 V:149 W:2.5(once 3.5) P: 800 (70%) "I screwed up all standard tests..... :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: "
Letters: One from research adviser which i have followed in the past two years, but no publication. One from a lecture perfessor which only will give me a short letter to proof my academic success. The last one is from my out-school mentor.
Research Experience: 2 years in low dimensional material lab. Have learned a lot of expoerience on dealing with graphene and making electronic devices ( can finish a device by myself)

Places applying (All Condensed Matter Experimental):
Yale
Cornell
UC Boulder
Cornell
UChicago
Columbia
Stony Brook
Rugters
Duke
UIUC
Maryland- College Park

Also, I am thinking that maybe I should change me major to material science since I do not need to submit my PGRE, but I did not take any courses in material science, which may give me a disadvantage. So I am confused and nervous.... :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

AlexisPrel

Re: Recommend for some SAFE school and suggestion on changing major

Post by AlexisPrel » Thu Dec 01, 2016 1:25 pm

Don't worry your scores are quite fine in fact. Look at the data mashups from 2015 applications: you PGRE score won't prevent you to get into Columbia or Yale for example (I am lazy about checking all the others). So go ahead !

At this stage of the application process the only thing you should worry about is perfecting your statements

Yolanda

Post by Yolanda » Fri Dec 02, 2016 12:52 am

Thank you for your reply! it is so glad to hear that reply! BTW, do you think I am safe enough, and I mean at least an offer..... :?:

AlexisPrel

Post by AlexisPrel » Mon Dec 05, 2016 4:08 pm

Honestly, I have no idea: I am an applicant just like you. I think you stand very good chances at any of the univ. you are applying to, and there are many of them.

Now, I believe that focusing on improving whatever application material you still have an influence on is a far better strategy than increasing the number of schools you apply to. First it costs lest, second it increases your chances at both your dream and safety options.