Theoritical Physics Universities List -- Dec-2008

pauldeepakraj

Theoritical Physics Universities List -- Dec-2008

Post by pauldeepakraj » Fri Dec 14, 2007 11:48 am

I am Paul working in MNC in India. I had been graduated(2006) in ECE(Electronics and Communication Engg) from Anna University, chennai,India. I have a passion to pursue to my higher studies(Master of Science) in Theoritical Physics from any good American or other country's University. By my recent research, I came to know that I should write GRE Physics, GRE General and TOEFL exams to content my desire. Since there is no time for giving these tests for Aug-2008 intake, I am likely to get admission for Universities on Dec-2008 intake. Here I need to know the list of Universities( Theoritical Physics M.S program) having opening for Dec-2008 intake (I was heard that most of universities do not have any openings Dec-2008 Intake ). if thre are a few univerties being opened for Dec- 2008 intake, Is there any possiblity to write these exams on upcoming days to get admissions for Aug - 2008. please provide details or highlight any site names.

grae313

Post by grae313 » Fri Dec 14, 2007 6:48 pm

There is no way to gain admission to a program for August 2008 at this point. The physics GRE test dates have already passed. The next opportunity you will have will be to take this test when it is offered in April of 2008. I don't know which schools offer admisison for the term starting in December of 2008, but the vast majority of schools do not accept students for this term. If they do, it is highly selective.

You would probably be better off doing research for a year. Take your subject GRE in April or October of next year, take your general GREs, and do well on your TOEFL, and apply for the term beginning in August 2009. Applications for this term are due December 2008 or January 2009.

butsurigakusha

Post by butsurigakusha » Sat Dec 15, 2007 3:17 pm

I don't know of any schools that allow students to enroll starting in December or January. Also, you say you want to pursue a Master of Science? It seems that all of the schools I have looked at do not offer terminal masters degrees in physics. If you are going to come to the US to study theoretical physics, you should go for a PhD, not a master's degree. I have never heard of anyone getting just a master's in theoretical physics.