Sept 17 Test

• This has become our largest and most active forum because the physics GRE is just one aspect of getting accepted into a graduate physics program.
  • There are applications, personal statements, letters of recommendation, visiting schools, anxiety of waiting for acceptances, deciding between schools, finding out where others are going, etc.

danielfaraday

Sept 17 Test

Post by danielfaraday » Mon Sep 12, 2016 9:48 pm

It's lit!
Who's taking it?
Feel ready?

stronglycoupled

Re: Sept 17 Test

Post by stronglycoupled » Mon Sep 12, 2016 10:35 pm

This guy. I'm going over some sections in Conquering, will go over their sample tests and write their third sample test for the first time. I still have the 2001 test to try but I've heard it's quite different from the recent ones. I really have no idea whatsoever what to expect, since it's my first time writing it. Hopefully my last time, as well. In case I don't feel too well about my performance, I'll register for the Oct 24th one. Best of luck to everyone taking this stupid test that is just bad physics.

milkywayguy

Post by milkywayguy » Mon Sep 12, 2016 10:57 pm

Taking it for the first time this Saturday!
I've been preparing for the last few weeks using the infamous Conquering the PGRE text but I can't help but feel unprepared.
Best of luck to all those taking the PGRE this Saturday! May we all prevail :)

Qwaps

Post by Qwaps » Tue Sep 13, 2016 12:34 am

Just a heads up, guys. Remember to sleep well the day before the test.

queenbee

Post by queenbee » Wed Sep 14, 2016 11:45 am

I'm taking it. Feeling very nervous--I'm almost 8 years out from college and 2 months ago I couldn't even remember what an eigenvalue was. Worked through all of Conquering the Physics GRE, the 2001, 1996, and 2008 tests, and a huge pile of notecards. On the last practice test (2008) I got a 670. Not at all where I want to be (I was a 4.0 physics student), but we'll see how it goes. I signed up for the Sep because I wasn't sure where I would be living in Oct, but now that looks settled so I can take the Oct again if need be.

Biggest problem at this point seems to be time. Once I start working on a problem, it's hard for me to let it go and move on to the next, even if it ends up taking way too long to work out.

queenbee

Post by queenbee » Fri Oct 14, 2016 3:28 pm

queenbee wrote:I'm taking it. Feeling very nervous--I'm almost 8 years out from college and 2 months ago I couldn't even remember what an eigenvalue was. Worked through all of Conquering the Physics GRE, the 2001, 1996, and 2008 tests, and a huge pile of notecards. On the last practice test (2008) I got a 670. Not at all where I want to be (I was a 4.0 physics student), but we'll see how it goes. I signed up for the Sep because I wasn't sure where I would be living in Oct, but now that looks settled so I can take the Oct again if need be.

Biggest problem at this point seems to be time. Once I start working on a problem, it's hard for me to let it go and move on to the next, even if it ends up taking way too long to work out.
Got my score today--820 (74%). Can't be upset with that, given my constraints. I won't be retaking, going to push forward with my applications. I got a 170/170 on the general so I think that should shore up my "she is passably decent, look at other things" angle.