UWMadison, UWSeattle, vs gap year

mandark

UWMadison, UWSeattle, vs gap year

Post by mandark » Fri Apr 08, 2016 9:38 pm

All for PhD in hep-ex. Funding will not be an issue.

Contacted Cal, Stanford, and CalTech (denied to all) and was told that I didn't have enough research experience. :cry: :x :cry:
Taking a gap year and working in a lab could get me in next year but its difficult to predict.

Need some outsiders's perspectives.

Catria

Re: UWMadison, UWSeattle, vs gap year

Post by Catria » Sat Apr 09, 2016 9:36 am

Washington-Seattle, Wisconsin are nothing to scoff at. Plus you cannot discount the human aspect of attendance at Washington.

Are you comfortable living on $2,060/month in Seattle? Or $20k/year in Madison?

Wisconsin's funding problems mean that graduate students will often TA three sections (but that is not always the case; I have no idea about Washington, though) Even though $20k will go a longer way in Madison than $24k will in Seattle, that is not something to discount.

Izaac

Post by Izaac » Sat Apr 09, 2016 1:23 pm

That's interesting to hear. I'm about to accept an offer from Washington, offered a monthly $2279 stipend (nine months, plus perspective of RA for summer). Doesn't look too bad to me, looking at https://www.quora.com/How-much-would-I- ... in-Seattle . And that's above the living wage reference http://livingwage.mit.edu/metros/42660 .

mandark

Post by mandark » Sat Apr 09, 2016 1:49 pm

Catria wrote:Washington-Seattle, Wisconsin are nothing to scoff at. Plus you cannot discount the human aspect of attendance at Washington.

Are you comfortable living on $2,060/month in Seattle? Or $20k/year in Madison?

Wisconsin's funding problems mean that graduate students will often TA three sections (but that is not always the case; I have no idea about Washington, though) Even though $20k will go a longer way in Madison than $24k will in Seattle, that is not something to discount.
Yes, both programs are strong which is why it would be risky taking the year off, and hence my dilemma. :oops:
Salaries will not be a problem since I have an external fellowship.

mandark

Post by mandark » Sat Apr 09, 2016 1:52 pm

Izaac wrote:That's interesting to hear. I'm about to accept an offer from Washington, offered a monthly $2279 stipend (nine months, plus perspective of RA for summer). Doesn't look too bad to me, looking at https://www.quora.com/How-much-would-I- ... in-Seattle . And that's above the living wage reference http://livingwage.mit.edu/metros/42660 .
Hi! Congratulations! The campus and city were absolutely beautiful, I'm sure you'll have a wonderful time!

If its worth anything, the graduate students I stayed with during my visit mentioned the stipend was more than enough to live off of. The could even afford to take a few vacations throughout the year.

Izaac

Post by Izaac » Mon Apr 11, 2016 9:33 am

Thanks, that's good to hear, Mandark. Now the only thing I'm afraid is of the rain in Seattle, but I'll live with that.

By the way, to reply to your initial question: I really doubt six or eight months will make a difference. Personal experience (last year I was accepted to Georgia Tech, WMadison; went for a one-year master in Cambridge; this year, got rejected from 8 top universities, as well as Georgia Tech and UMichigan) tells me that in the PhD case it's better to take what you already have instead of gambling with fate.

mandark

Post by mandark » Mon Apr 11, 2016 5:03 pm

Izaac wrote:Thanks, that's good to hear, Mandark. Now the only thing I'm afraid is of the rain in Seattle, but I'll live with that.

By the way, to reply to your initial question: I really doubt six or eight months will make a difference. Personal experience (last year I was accepted to Georgia Tech, WMadison; went for a one-year master in Cambridge; this year, got rejected from 8 top universities, as well as Georgia Tech and UMichigan) tells me that in the PhD case it's better to take what you already have instead of gambling with fate.
It will technically be another full year because I've been working full time in a lab since January, but I totally understand what you mean.

I guess I can rephrase the question now as Madison vs Seattle, seeing as you got into both and chose Washington, can you please elaborate so to what "sold" you on the school?

Izaac

Post by Izaac » Tue Apr 12, 2016 6:34 am

To clear up a misunderstanding: I was accepted in WMadison last year (2015) and chose to go to a master in Cambridge instead. That's where I am today. Didn't apply to WMadison this year, but, among other, Washington. I'm going to Washington because that's my only option this year, meh!

I'm not that informed on the two places, but they seem of fairly equal level, so I'd advise you to choose the place where you think you'll meet a supervisor that you will enjoy working with (research-wise and human-relationship-wise), in an environment that you'll enjoy. If I had to make that choice today, I'd still take Washington, Seattle looks like the kind of big city with easy natural get-away that I'd enjoy. I'm the kind of guy for whom the place is as important as the people I work with, and for that matter Cambridge really put me off small towns. It would take a Tony Robbins-like supervisor for me to work in Siberia, say.
Wish I could've ended up in a sunnier place though, but San Francisco is just 2 hours away by plane so I guess I can spend a few weekends over there.