transition from Environmental Science to Physics

• This has become our largest and most active forum because the physics GRE is just one aspect of getting accepted into a graduate physics program.
  • There are applications, personal statements, letters of recommendation, visiting schools, anxiety of waiting for acceptances, deciding between schools, finding out where others are going, etc.

Greenangel

transition from Environmental Science to Physics

Post by Greenangel » Mon Apr 04, 2016 5:24 am

I am currently doing my Undergraduate studies at a Liberal Arts University, majoring in Environmental Science. This will lead me to a BS in Environmental Science.

However, I now want to switch to Physics. But my university doesn't offer a physics or maths major, meaning that its not possible for me to change my major to physics or math at my undergraduate level. So, I am willing to do my graduate studies in Physics.

Can anyone suggest me any possible options/steps that I can take to make this transition, from Environmental Science to Physics, possible?

Your response will be much appreciated.
Thanks in advance.

ashishdastro

Re: transition from Environmental Science to Physics

Post by ashishdastro » Mon Apr 04, 2016 6:54 am

Hi,

I am sharing my experience on this.

One way is to apply for graduate study in USA. For that you should have good Physics GRE score. If you have time, you can tackle it by reading some standard introductory texts. I didn't study seriously in my undergrad hence got a poor GAP of 6.9/10. After I got the job, I studied everything again from the beginning and got a decent physics GRE score of 920/990. So give it a shot. It won't be that difficult. About half of the stuffs are below graduate level. :)

If you are not willing to do this, better would be to try for Masters in Europe. There are programs which can you take students for Masters from different domains. After getting hold of Physics, you can again try for PhD.

I hope this answers somewhat.

Good luck !