string theory phd

• This has become our largest and most active forum because the physics GRE is just one aspect of getting accepted into a graduate physics program.
  • There are applications, personal statements, letters of recommendation, visiting schools, anxiety of waiting for acceptances, deciding between schools, finding out where others are going, etc.

physicsisfun000

string theory phd

Post by physicsisfun000 » Mon Apr 13, 2015 12:58 pm

What are the top schools for string theory and mathematical physics (focusing on the mathematical side of string theory) in the US ? And What are good schools to apply to (in string theory and mathematical physics ) as a backup in case this doesn't work out ? What is the required PGRE score and other criteria such that one can have a high chance of getting accepted into a string theory program ?

Thanks

quizivex

Re: string theory phd

Post by quizivex » Sat Dec 05, 2015 3:57 am

Probably Princeton is the ideal place for string theory. I met a student there who was working with Ed!

Jding

Re: string theory phd

Post by Jding » Sat Dec 05, 2015 9:25 am

By looking at past profiles you can see that for international applicants if you want to do HE-th in top 10 schools you need near perfect scores on pretty much everything+1st author publications or REALLY STRONG recommendations.

I'm applying this year, with 95%tile+ on all my GREs(except AW of course..) & top 5% rank in my major, but as an international applicant with no publications I can only think about applying to 50-100 universities if I'm serious.