reviewing from halliday resnick ...2nd edition

• If you want to know something about the GRE subject test in physics then chances are you will find it in here.
  • If something about the physics GRE it isn't already discussed in here then please put it in here.

ice109

reviewing from halliday resnick ...2nd edition

Post by ice109 » Sat Oct 22, 2011 3:27 am

im reviewing from halliday and resnick 2nd edition. i chose 2nd edition, 1960s, on purpose because of advice from older professors who said material has been watered down over the years. the book is good but im worried that there are certain problem types it won't include because it's so old. also there's the fact that it only has about 30 problems per chapter. i know it's a matter of knowing the material and not drilling it but for standardized tests i find drill and kill usually leads to the highest score.

should i buy a newer book?

Minovsky

Re: reviewing from halliday resnick ...2nd edition

Post by Minovsky » Mon Oct 24, 2011 10:05 am

Your edition should be fine to cover the basics. Even recent editions don't have PGRE-type problems. For actual practice with PGRE-type questions, use the released past PGREs. For the old exam questions grouped by subject, see Ohio State's SPS website.

One thing to look out for in your old edition are the units used in the E&M section. The PGRE uses MKS(SI) units, but cgs(Gaussian) units were common in the US during the 1960's. Not too big of a deal, you could always make it an exercise to convert all the E&M equations to MKS if need be.

Sylba

Re: reviewing from halliday resnick ...2nd edition

Post by Sylba » Thu Sep 03, 2015 11:16 am

Do you know if there is in the internet any Solution pfd? i got the 3rd edition