Adjunct fields?

• This has become our largest and most active forum because the physics GRE is just one aspect of getting accepted into a graduate physics program.
  • There are applications, personal statements, letters of recommendation, visiting schools, anxiety of waiting for acceptances, deciding between schools, finding out where others are going, etc.

big_E

Adjunct fields?

Post by big_E » Sun Dec 09, 2007 2:52 am

Is anyone trying for a physics-related yet non-physics department? I'm going for 8 astronomy or astrophysics departments; I'm sure that admissions take into account that your physics GRE score won't (necessarily) reflect your ability to excel in the department since many applicants will already have shown specialization in astrophysics. Is anyone aware of some quantifiable adjustment that takes place? Am I the only one in this forum not trying for a physics grad program?

KB

Post by KB » Sun Dec 09, 2007 3:44 am

I am applying to astronomy/astrophysics programs as well, and from what I hear astronomy students are generally not held to quite the same standards as physics students in terms of the GRE. Not that it isn't a factor in the admissions process, just that you aren't expected to score in the 900s.