Starting over a PhD in another school

• This has become our largest and most active forum because the physics GRE is just one aspect of getting accepted into a graduate physics program.
  • There are applications, personal statements, letters of recommendation, visiting schools, anxiety of waiting for acceptances, deciding between schools, finding out where others are going, etc.

Cho'bal

Starting over a PhD in another school

Post by Cho'bal » Mon Apr 06, 2015 4:34 am

So, this year I'm at the point where I am practically rejected from all the schools that I applied to.

I am planning to try again next year, since my MS thesis adviser gracefully offered me a research position in his lab, along with decent funding.

He also asked me if I'm interested in applying for the PhD program here at my home institution, just in case things don't work out next time.

I have a question regarding this situation.
If I enroll here as a PhD student this year, will this fact act against me in any way when I apply to other schools in the upcoming year?

In other related topics I read that it's hard to get good recs when you're planning to abandon your current program, but this does not apply to my case. So, my only concern is whether the schools that I will apply to might consider this as a red flag.

woodbetweenworlds

Re: Starting over a PhD in another school

Post by woodbetweenworlds » Mon Apr 06, 2015 11:57 am

I'm sorry you're where you're at :/ I looked at your profile and your scores were impressive.

Transferring graduate schools in the US is pretty much impossible and all-but unheard of. I'm trying to do it now, and I also got rejected across the board by everywhere I applied to. My scores weren't as good as yours, but I also didn't apply to just-top-20 schools. It hurts, though, man.

Yes, the very fact that you started your PhD at one school and then went to another school will count against you.

This might actually explain the reason for your rejections. In the US, people usually enter the PhD program immediately after a bachelor's degree. If you are applying with a masters, then you look like you're bailing out, and bailing out is bad on applications.

You would probably be better off doing paid research somewhere for a year or two, than doing the PhD program at your school.

Cho'bal

Post by Cho'bal » Tue Apr 07, 2015 4:46 am

Thank you for the reply. I greatly appreciate it.

I am getting polarized opinions on this matter, and it's difficult to make up my mind on whether I should sign up for the program in my home institution... Some people say it does not matter at all as long as my ex-adviser doesn't mind, and others say it will definitely hurt my application.

TakeruK

Post by TakeruK » Tue Apr 07, 2015 10:12 am

Unless your advisor told you otherwise, if you enroll in a PhD program at your home institution then they will likely expect you to stay, not continue to apply to more PhD programs! So, if you are still planning to apply to other schools, you should either 1) clarify this with your MSc advisor or 2) take the research position. You can't have both the PhD program at your home institution AND apply to other schools.

Cho'bal

Post by Cho'bal » Tue Apr 07, 2015 1:27 pm

Thank you for your feedback.

Indeed, my ex-adviser is fully aware that I am reapplying next year, and is just suggesting to apply for the program at his school as a backup plan. What I am not clear about is whether the other schools will take this negatively, even if my ex-advisor does not hold any issues with the whole situation.