International Astronomy/Astrophysics programs on the AAS Reg

uhurulol

International Astronomy/Astrophysics programs on the AAS Reg

Post by uhurulol » Wed Apr 01, 2015 10:02 pm

I'm wondering if anyone knows anything about the selection process for programs at large universities in European countries like Sweden, Ireland and others... there are postings for applications to some programs that aren't due until late April, so it's a good choice for me since my options are limited right now. I noticed some differences from the American system, so I'm wondering if applying is a waste of time or not. They all seem to want only a cover letter, references, and a CV. This means my imperfect transcripts and my crummy GRE scores aren't going to be a part of the selection process. On paper, this translates to me being a much better applicant. I have great research experience, sometimes in very specific preferences listed in the application.

Does anyone know anything about these programs that they can share? Any information is useful, I've found nothing at all but the job postings so far.

Catria

Re: International Astronomy/Astrophysics programs on the AAS Reg

Post by Catria » Wed Apr 01, 2015 11:01 pm

Most European PhD astro programs will ask for a MSc first...

Sportsfan77777

Post by Sportsfan77777 » Thu Apr 02, 2015 1:37 am

If you apply to Europe, you would be applying to Masters programs, not Ph.D. programs.

The difference is that in Europe, the M.Sc. and Ph.D. are split, so there are a lot more options for masters programs than in the US.
The disadvantage is that like in the US, I think most (all?) of these programs are not funded.

uhurulol

Post by uhurulol » Thu Apr 02, 2015 3:36 am

Yeah, I think I said that in the OP, but I'm pretty sure I've seen a few listings that only required a bachelor's degree, and they were fully funded. They were specific job titles---you're applying for a very specific research assistant position. Maybe these are rare and I'm just seeing a couple at once. Anyways, I emailed a few of the coordinators for ones I've found asking if it's possible. We'll see I guess.

TakeruK

Post by TakeruK » Thu Apr 02, 2015 11:14 am

Also in Europe and Canada, grad student positions are often treated like jobs and hired in that way. That is, these positions are often advertised like job postings and are for a very specific project/professor. Often, there is no admissions committee like in the US, but instead, it's basically up to the professor if they want to hire you and pay for you or not. There might be a minimal admissions committee to ensure all admitted students meet some minimal department standard.