Talking to Lecturers and it's effect on admission

• This has become our largest and most active forum because the physics GRE is just one aspect of getting accepted into a graduate physics program.
  • There are applications, personal statements, letters of recommendation, visiting schools, anxiety of waiting for acceptances, deciding between schools, finding out where others are going, etc.

Explorer33

Talking to Lecturers and it's effect on admission

Post by Explorer33 » Tue Mar 03, 2015 5:51 am

Hi,
So I have applied for a Physics Ph.D but since it is not clear in my mind what exactly I am aiming to do ( i.e which field , not that I dont know which but there are 2-3 which I like and I am at the moment unsure of which one I will pick ) I have not been talking to the Professors. I am wondering now if this has any kind of weightage on my chances of getting in. Does any one have a clue about this. Let me know.
Thanks

vagnox92

Re: Talking to Lecturers and it's effect on admission

Post by vagnox92 » Sat Mar 14, 2015 6:36 am

Look at my latest post. I describe my profile in there, and I point out that, with two exceptions, every University where I contacted professors accepted me, and every University where I didn't rejected me. There is, however, a bias, as I purposely didn't contact professors at top 10 places

blackmass

Post by blackmass » Sat Mar 14, 2015 11:07 am

I don't think talking to a professor can ever really hurt you, but I don't think it will necessarily help, either. I got rejected from places where I had reached out to professors and offers from places where I hadn't. I honestly wouldn't worry about it this late in the game. I think it's mostly helpful when you've not only contacted professors, but also have some sort of connection to them through a professor at your own institute. If there's anything I've learned, it's that this whole process is a gamble. It's nearly impossible to say what will/will not get you in. That being said, good luck Explorer33!

Catria

Post by Catria » Sat Mar 14, 2015 12:36 pm

Got rejected from at least 3 schools where I had contacted professors, one of which I even visited and met with the POIs face-to-face...