Should I be offended...?

• This has become our largest and most active forum because the physics GRE is just one aspect of getting accepted into a graduate physics program.
  • There are applications, personal statements, letters of recommendation, visiting schools, anxiety of waiting for acceptances, deciding between schools, finding out where others are going, etc.

PhysicsIsCool

Should I be offended...?

Post by PhysicsIsCool » Sat Mar 14, 2015 1:29 am

This may be silly, but I could not attend a visiting weekend at a graduate school, so I asked if I could arrange to visit on different dates. They said sure, and asked me to send a list of professors I'd be interested in meeting with and dates I was available. Admittedly, it did take me 5 days to respond to that email with all the craziness going on in my life right now, but that was 3 weeks ago, and I have heard nothing back yet.

It wouldn't be a huge deal, except one of the dates I was free is two weeks away (and I'd have to buy expensive airfare to go), and the other date I was free is so close to April 15 that I'm not sure it's even worth stressing myself with it at this point.

Should I be offended that they're taking so long to reply? I know it's a busy time of the year, but I feel like they really let me slip through the cracks, and it's a top school so I thought they'd be more interested in recruiting the people they accepted?

Idk obviously I'm going to email soon to ask why I haven't heard back, but I'm wondering if I should just cancel the visit altogether at this point. But I don't want to seem rude or offensive, and I really would love to visit the school, but it may be more trouble than it's worth if they don't really care about recruiting me to go there. :(

Sportsfan77777

Re: Should I be offended...?

Post by Sportsfan77777 » Sat Mar 14, 2015 3:02 am

I think this could just be an honest mistake.
I would recommend emailing them again to check that they saw your first email.

If it's a professor, maybe they are busy and accidentally missed your email.
If it's an administrative assistant, I would hardly call that "the department not being interested in you"