would industrial applied math job help in profile building ?

• This has become our largest and most active forum because the physics GRE is just one aspect of getting accepted into a graduate physics program.
  • There are applications, personal statements, letters of recommendation, visiting schools, anxiety of waiting for acceptances, deciding between schools, finding out where others are going, etc.

instrument.santosh

would industrial applied math job help in profile building ?

Post by instrument.santosh » Mon Mar 02, 2015 7:01 pm

well I am in a bit of odd situation.I am an international student switching to physics from engineering. I had just got admitted into Case western and am waiting from few more. and i am in the verge of getting a job in a biological research company which would like pay me really good and involves making mathematical models (mostly non linear dynamics and chaos). The other programs i am waiting to hear from are not the top (maybe between 40-60) . My idea is, if i like work in this modeling job for a year and then reapply the next, taking my PGRE again (890 this time :| and am sure i would cross the 950 border in next attempt ) would the applied math work be considered and would it make any significant difference in my profile to get me into any top 30 programs ?