hep-ex, UIUC or ETHZ?

• This has become our largest and most active forum because the physics GRE is just one aspect of getting accepted into a graduate physics program.
  • There are applications, personal statements, letters of recommendation, visiting schools, anxiety of waiting for acceptances, deciding between schools, finding out where others are going, etc.

hcai

hep-ex, UIUC or ETHZ?

Post by hcai » Wed Feb 25, 2015 2:31 pm

Hey,

Just surprisingly got an unofficial offer this morning from ETHZ, but am little bit hesitant between the UIUC PhD offer and this one. Sine the European Institutions only have Master's program, and little financial support, my parent's would rather let me go Illinois.

Just wonder know some comments about UIUC's ATLAS group, or it is more worthwhile to go Switzerland?

Thanks!

Catria

Re: hep-ex, UIUC or ETHZ?

Post by Catria » Wed Feb 25, 2015 3:08 pm

If you go to ETHZ, you may have to re-live the stresses of applying to graduate school again.

hcai

Post by hcai » Wed Feb 25, 2015 3:18 pm

Catria wrote:If you go to ETHZ, you may have to re-live the stresses of applying to graduate school again.

Well, stress always makes progress

blahblah

Post by blahblah » Wed Feb 25, 2015 5:19 pm

What do you mean by European schools only have Master's programs? If you mean you're only admitted to a Master's program, well it's my understanding that PhD admissions are more... flexible, I guess, in Europe: if you can find a professor who agrees to take you on as a PhD student during your Masters you are basically sure to get a seat in the program.

Regardless, ETH is an absolutely excellent school that would be recognized in physics anywhere you go. If you have any desire to go to school outside the US, you should consider this an excellent opportunity, and if you don't like the European system after your Masters you can always come back to a US institution afterwards.

Catria

Post by Catria » Thu Feb 26, 2015 12:44 am

If you know for sure you need a PhD to do what you want out of physics, and that HEP-EX is the way to go, UIUC.