One year taught Master's: Perimeter vs Oxford vs Cambridge

Yourself

One year taught Master's: Perimeter vs Oxford vs Cambridge

Post by Yourself » Mon Jan 26, 2015 8:22 am

I am aware of three options for a one-year taught Master's in theoretical physics:
1 Perimeter Scholars international
2 Cambridge Math. tripos Part III
3 Oxford, Mathematical and Theoretical Physics

Does anyone know anything about the ranking of these programs and by how much they improve one's chances at PhD admissions the next year? Can anyone comment on the quality of living, of the lectures, and of the students in one of these programs?

Catria

Re: One year taught Master's: Perimeter vs Oxford vs Cambridge

Post by Catria » Mon Jan 26, 2015 10:33 am

One has to wonder what are the opportunities to do research while taking Part III of the Tripos at Cambridge or at Oxford.

Perimeter, on the other hand, contains a short research project, about 2 months long...

flobadobadie

Re: One year taught Master's: Perimeter vs Oxford vs Cambridge

Post by flobadobadie » Mon Jan 26, 2015 2:22 pm

I know a little about the part iii maths. As Catria points out, there's not much opportunity or time to do the kind of research the US adcomms are looking for. Most the students do an essay, worth a sixth of the year, but it doesn't require original work. I'm biased having done the part iii physics course, but I think the maths course is generally overhyped. To my eyes the three courses you've mentioned are roughly equivalent, I suggest you do some more of your own reading, and find out for yourself which you like the best.