Why does nobody ever...

• This has become our largest and most active forum because the physics GRE is just one aspect of getting accepted into a graduate physics program.
  • There are applications, personal statements, letters of recommendation, visiting schools, anxiety of waiting for acceptances, deciding between schools, finding out where others are going, etc.

Roberto

Why does nobody ever...

Post by Roberto » Mon Jan 19, 2015 12:51 pm

...name their undergraduate institution when it comes to posting their profiles each year?!?

I'm really curious as to why! Is it because you fear the admissions committee going through the forum and associating the applicants with their profiles, and thinking: "Well, this guy has time to waste on the forum!".

Or is it for some other reason?

Cheers,
Roberto

McLovin

Re: Why does nobody ever...

Post by McLovin » Mon Jan 19, 2015 1:55 pm

People just want to keep their privacy.
I think the real mystery is why so many people want to do HEP theory or why many foreign guys want to switch from engineering to physics.

Roberto

Post by Roberto » Mon Jan 19, 2015 2:23 pm

McLovin wrote:People just want to keep their privacy.
I think the real mystery is why so many people want to do HEP theory or why many foreign guys want to switch from engineering to physics.
You sure it's just that?

Well, everyone dreams of solving AdS/CFT or formulating a coherent theory of quantum gravity or solving the information paradox. But the fact it, we need more experimentalists and people doing stuff like AMO whichmight be less interesting and certainly less appealing to the general audience.

Regarding guys switching from engineering to physics, I won't say anything.

PathIntegrals92

Post by PathIntegrals92 » Mon Jan 19, 2015 2:24 pm

^^^^ That!

Edit: You know I honestly wonder the same thing all the time. There are so many posts about people who want to go from engineering to physics. It's understandable if they want to do physics research or something. However, once I saw a post either here or physicsforum where someone asked "I have a BSE in EE and I want a PhD in physics, will this increase my job prospects? " I honestly wondered whether that person even knows what a PhD in physics is...

Roberto

Post by Roberto » Mon Jan 19, 2015 2:35 pm

PathIntegrals92 wrote:^^^^ That!

Edit: You know I honestly wonder the same thing all the time. There are so many posts about people who want to go from engineering to physics. It's understandable if they want to do physics research or something. However, once I saw a post either here or physicsforum where someone asked "I have a BSE in EE and I want a PhD in physics, will this increase my job prospects? " I honestly wondered whether that person even knows what a PhD in physics is...
Prolly not! So you reckon, for my question, that's just a matter of privacy? How weird though...I mean it's not like you're writing your name and surname...also, privacy against members of forum or possible admissions committee lurking on forum?

djh101

Post by djh101 » Mon Jan 19, 2015 2:44 pm

I assumed it was because people might not have heard of their school and thought a description (e.g. large state school) would be more descriptive. I don't know, though.

TakeruK

Post by TakeruK » Mon Jan 19, 2015 2:45 pm

I think it's privacy from both. Some subfields are small enough that there may only be one applicant from certain undergraduate programs. Or, even if there are several, having the school named and other details such as test scores might be enough to identify someone.

Now, whether or not professors will actually spend the time to match up users with applications is another story (probably not, why would they?). However, I would argue that naming the exact name of the undergrad institution provides us (other users on this forum) with virtually no additional information. Therefore, I think it's always wise to not provide any unnecessary information when on the Internet.

Also....the template specifically says "School type" not "school name", so I think most people just follow that instruction and not state the name.

Leanas

Post by Leanas » Mon Jan 19, 2015 2:58 pm

For me, it's privacy... kind of. Being female and having finished my degree in 3 years, if I listed my school, I would be identified immediately by my peers. And it's not that I mind, I'm willing to say my scores and such, but in the chance that I get accepted to a lot of schools, I don't want my friends to feel bad that they didn't. I haven't actually told anyone who is currently apply that I've already been accepted. I would just feel bad since I know some of them already got rejections.

wompwomp

Post by wompwomp » Mon Jan 19, 2015 3:19 pm

Privacy for me.

Given that there were 7 physics grads from my program my year, any little information I post here is more than enough to identify me...

PathIntegrals92

Post by PathIntegrals92 » Mon Jan 19, 2015 4:19 pm

I'm sorry, I just realized when I wrote "^^^ That!" I agreed with the second post and didn't see the OP's post right after.

I agree with everyone that it is about the privacy. Some people write enough in their profiles that if you know someone well enough you'll be able to figure out who they are and undergrad school name would confirm it. I already know two from the 2014 thread :D