Having trouble with the Caltech Astronomy app today?

• This has become our largest and most active forum because the physics GRE is just one aspect of getting accepted into a graduate physics program.
  • There are applications, personal statements, letters of recommendation, visiting schools, anxiety of waiting for acceptances, deciding between schools, finding out where others are going, etc.

shep23

Having trouble with the Caltech Astronomy app today?

Post by shep23 » Sat Dec 27, 2014 6:25 pm

When I log-in to complete my application I keep getting the message "You may only apply once per year" and it will not let me go to any part of my application. It also says "You may not resubmit this application". The problem is that I never submitted it, and I definitely haven't paid for it yet. So, is this a site issue? Is anyone else having similar problems?

PathIntegrals92

Re: Having trouble with the Caltech Astronomy app today?

Post by PathIntegrals92 » Sat Dec 27, 2014 6:56 pm

Some schools only let you apply to one program. Have you already applied to caltech for something else? If not, email someone in the department. Or call.

shep23

Post by shep23 » Sat Dec 27, 2014 6:58 pm

I'm only applying to their astronomy program. I left a voicemail and sent an email, so I'll be impatiently waiting until Monday.

blackmass

Post by blackmass » Sat Dec 27, 2014 8:12 pm

I'm having the same exact problem -- can't access or change any part of the application, and I'm getting the same error message.

Just noticed it now says one of my recommender's has not submitted their letter when the last time I logged in, all of the letters had in fact been submitted. Ugh...

TakeruK

Post by TakeruK » Sat Dec 27, 2014 9:54 pm

Just a FYI, Caltech is closed until Jan 5. So, you might get a response if you emailed a professor (although many will be very busy at this time too), but if you emailed any type of administrative position (e.g. Departmental Graduate Secretary) then you will probably not get a response until January 5 since all staff are on vacation during the winter break. The staff in the Graduate Office itself may have special working hours for applications but in general, most of the campus is closed this week and next week.

Hopefully the technical issues are resolved soon! There should be contact info for technical issues with applications with the Graduate Office (since the whole school uses one system) and you might have much better luck trying to contact people through that web form. Good luck!

Sportsfan77777

Post by Sportsfan77777 » Sat Dec 27, 2014 11:56 pm

Excellent! Less competition for me, HAHAHA!!! :D

But seriously, I submitted my application a few days and the confirmation included an email address -- help@applyweb.com -- to contact if any problems arose.
I would try emailing them since they are not affiliated with the university.

I imagine that if this is a serious problem that affects a lot of people and Caltech does not notice until after the deadline, they would just extend the deadline to accommodate everyone affected.

monopod

Post by monopod » Sun Dec 28, 2014 3:35 pm

Same problem here! Such a relieve to know that I'm not the only one. I emailed applyweb's help desk and am waiting as well.