Graduate Application Profile Website

• This has become our largest and most active forum because the physics GRE is just one aspect of getting accepted into a graduate physics program.
  • There are applications, personal statements, letters of recommendation, visiting schools, anxiety of waiting for acceptances, deciding between schools, finding out where others are going, etc.

djh101

Graduate Application Profile Website

Post by djh101 » Wed Dec 17, 2014 4:23 am

Hi, everyone. While researching for grad school, the data on this site has been extremely helpful. However, being scattered across various threads and posts, it is a little bit disorganized. Anyway (I'm surprised no one else has done this yet), I've decided to make an attempt to start organizing the data. I'm still working on it, but I've started a little bit of a site for submitting school profiles and displaying GPA/GRE/etc. means, medians, and ranges for schools. The site is still in progress, but the profile submission page should be working so I'd like to start collecting data while I continue working on it. If anyone that has gotten acceptances/rejections would be interested in submitting a profile, here's the link:
http://gradadmissionstats.com/submit

Hopefully enough data can eventually be collected to make this a somewhat useful resource for future applicants. If anyone has any suggestions, do let me know. Right now profiles are verified through .edu email verification to prevent spam and duplication, but I imagine a lot of people will be uncomfortable giving their .edu to some random website they haven't heard of (I'm not sure which will hurt the reliability of the data more, lower quantity or lower quality profiles), so I'm still trying to figure out a solution to that. Maybe I'll make verification optional and rank verified profiles higher? :?

djh101

Re: Graduate Application Profile Website

Post by djh101 » Wed Dec 17, 2014 6:08 pm

I've started adding some data from the past application profiles on this thread. Right now Santa Barbara has the most data (2 accepted, 3 rejected). Check it out and let me know what you think:

http://gradadmissionstats.com/schools?s ... hysics&sf=

Right now only data from domestic applicants is used. I'll add international later on.

HappyQuark

Post by HappyQuark » Thu Dec 18, 2014 2:24 am

I tried to do this with my website (physicsgrad.com) when I still had it up and running. Unfortunately I could never get enough people willing to contribute to actually make it useful in any sense. It seems like too few people are interested in contributing and those that are are basically only interested enough to add their information to the PhysicsGRE.com profiles or to TheGradCafe.com. I wish you good luck but be prepared for likely disappointment.

djh101

Post by djh101 » Thu Dec 18, 2014 2:34 am

Thank you. This isn't my first website, so I'm certainly familiar with said disappointment. Still, the profile thread on this site is testament to data collection actually working once in a while, so we'll see what happens. At the very least there should be a good set of statistically unreliable data after I'm through harvesting the profile threads on here. 8)

Catria

Post by Catria » Thu Jan 15, 2015 5:28 pm

What happened? This website seems to be closed...

djh101

Post by djh101 » Thu Jan 15, 2015 5:50 pm

Catria wrote:What happened? This website seems to be closed...
I decided to scrap the project. I still own the domain name and have all the files which I'd be happy to give to anyone that would be interested in managing it, but I have been working on another website for almost a year now and would prefer to focus on that site without tacking on another.