Nuclear? Is it possible?

Sats

Nuclear? Is it possible?

Post by Sats » Mon Dec 01, 2014 7:51 pm

Hey guys, I'm finalizing my list and I'd like some input based on my profile below. I really just need to know what seems unreasonable, and what seems in reach. I realize my profile isn't top notch, but any suggestions would really help!

Undergrad Institution: Top 40 US World News (2014) - Big State School
Major(s): Physics, Mathematics, French
Minor(s): N/A
GPA in Major: 3.3 Physics, 3.5 Math, 4.0 French
Overall GPA: 3.6
Length of Degree: 4 years
Position in Class: Slightly above average
Type of Student: Domestic white male

GRE Scores :
Q: 164 (89%)
V: 159 (81%)
W: 4.5 (80%)
P: 640 (38%)

Research Experience: Studied CLS limit setting for a semester, then moved on to FIR filtering programming for the current semester. No publications, but total research time is around a year.

Awards/Honors/Recognitions: Deans list in a few semesters.

Pertinent Activities or Jobs: Software Engineering Intern for a summer learning Javascript, Node.js, and general large networking problems. Not super relevant to physics, but it adds credibility to my programming skills.

Any Miscellaneous Accomplishments that Might Help: N/A

Special Bonus Points: 3 majors in 4 years.

Any Other Info That Shows Up On Your App and Might Matter: I've working fluency in french. Of my three letters, one comes from my experimental methods professor, whom I worked a lot with on an independent research topic, will be doing research with him the next semester. The other is from my Nuclear/Particle Physics course and the ~semester research, got along well with him. The last one comes from a french professor whom I've had for 3 courses, we get along very well. At least 2 of them will be very strong.

Also I have 2 anomalous C's, one in Proof Writing, and the other in Electromagnetism 2, the only sub-B grades I've gotten. I also have a W in independent research for this semester due to time constraints.

Applying to Where:
Will be considering PHD -> Nuclear Experiment in all areas

United States:

Michigan State
U Massachusetts Amherst
Notre Dame
Northeastern
U Connecticut
U Delaware
U William and Mary
George Washington U
Duke
Michigan State

Canada:
McGill
U British Columbia

Sats

Re: Nuclear? Is it possible?

Post by Sats » Tue Dec 16, 2014 8:16 pm

Anybody?

RonaldoMcDonaldo

Post by RonaldoMcDonaldo » Tue Dec 16, 2014 9:39 pm

It's possible.

Sats

Post by Sats » Wed Dec 17, 2014 3:54 pm

(Diggin' the Char cat)

Are there any schools that are out of reach? I was thinking I'd upscale my list a little bit, and take a shot at Northwestern for HEPEX (well, medium energy/heavy ion) or Brown/Purdue. Should I stick to my guns or are things like that within reach?

RonaldoMcDonaldo

Post by RonaldoMcDonaldo » Thu Dec 18, 2014 2:27 am

Sats wrote:(Diggin' the Char cat)

Are there any schools that are out of reach? I was thinking I'd upscale my list a little bit, and take a shot at Northwestern for HEPEX (well, medium energy/heavy ion) or Brown/Purdue. Should I stick to my guns or are things like that within reach?
I'm the wrong guy to ask about Nuclear physics. Just thought I'd give you a little bump to see if other people can help.