Modifying list post-PGRE scores

uhurulol

Modifying list post-PGRE scores

Post by uhurulol » Mon Nov 24, 2014 4:21 pm

Hi everyone. So I've been posting a lot, apologies for that. My PGRE score just came through, and it's just abysmal. Truly abysmal. It's not representative of me as a physicist in any way... I don't even know how I did so poorly, but I'm not letting it get to my head. My objective in this thread is to cross off schools on my list that are likely to throw out apps with terrible PGRE scores. I already have way too many schools on my list, so this seems to be the easiest way to scrub some off.

--- Profile ---

Undergrad Institution: State University, not well known for physics, but the department is growing substantially right now
Major(s): Physics
Minor(s):
GPA in Major: 3.18 Physics
Overall GPA: 3.17
Length of Degree: 4 years
Position in Class: Unsure
Type of Student: Domestic white male

GRE Scores :
Q: 155 (60%)
V: 155 (67%)
W: 3.5 (38%)
P: 500 (9%) :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops:

Research Experience: Nearly two years of NSF funded Optical Interferometry research -- cutting edge astronomical instrumentation research that many astronomers across the states have expressed serious interest in. On top of that, one and a half semesters of research on Milky Way satellites with a well-known researcher from Yale (for my capstone research).

Awards/Honors/Recognitions: None really

Pertinent Activities or Jobs: 30+ hour work week outside of full time school schedule, if that's of any interest.

Any Miscellaneous Accomplishments that Might Help: Presentation on my research to the Physics Club

Special Bonus Points: Worked for the Physics Department doing menial tasks like fixing broken equipment. Represented the Physics department at a few different events, such as the Majors Expo and the Club Fair.

Any Other Info That Shows Up On Your App and Might Matter: A few extracurricular achievements, mostly music related. Nothing particularly pertinent to my education.

------------------------------------

So, as you can see, my app isn't the strongest, but it's also not terrible. My grades are mediocre and my GRE scores are pretty bleh, but my research experience is pretty strong. I'd like to look at this list below and see which schools I should just let go due to my cruddy GRE scores. KEEP IN MIND THIS IS ALL FOR ASTRONOMY/ASTROPHYSICS, I'm not applying to any schools for anything other than Astro.

Thanks again for all your help!

Reach:
University of Hawaii
Colorado, Boulder
University of Michigan
University of Arizona
University of Washington
UCLA
University of Maryland
U Texas, Austin

Optimistic:
Boston University
New Mexico State
Georgia State
U Delaware
Clemson
U Virginia
Ohio State
U Florida
SUNY SB
UPITT

uhurulol

Re: Modifying list post-PGRE scores

Post by uhurulol » Mon Nov 24, 2014 4:23 pm

Also, if you think of any schools that have Astro Ph.D. programs and have low PGRE/GRE requirements (or none at all) please let me know!

shep23

Post by shep23 » Mon Nov 24, 2014 5:18 pm

I just want to point out Ohio St is top 12 in the world according to this recent ranking http://www.usnews.com/education/best-gl ... nce?page=2 (and many others) so you might want to bump that up to a reach school.

shep23

Post by shep23 » Mon Nov 24, 2014 5:26 pm

You might have a chance this year, and I can't definitely say you won't get in anywhere. But with a 3.17 GPA, ~60% for general GRE scores, and 9% for physics GRE I would take a year off and use the time to prepare to take the tests again as well as get more research. You're applying to get a doctorate in astrophysics, and 40% of grad school candidates -- many of whom are not going into a quantitative field -- received better math scores than you. If either your GPA or your PGRE was higher you'd be okay, but with both so low you have nothing that shows that you actually know physics. I'm sure you do, and I'm sure the 30 hour work weeks are the reason for the lower GPA, but grad schools don't have much to go off of with your numbers.

That's just my opinion. If you are to apply, emphasizing the research, having great letters, and explaining the GPA/PGRE scores somehow would give you a chance. I'd be happy to see you prove me wrong in an admissions results thread, but maybe this will help you save money. Good luck!