Does anyone know: are there any master physics that is free

Robbie

Does anyone know: are there any master physics that is free

Post by Robbie » Thu Nov 20, 2014 12:32 am

I'm international. Are there any master program in physics that is free in the united states and provides financial support???

Catria

Re: Does anyone know: are there any master physics that is free

Post by Catria » Thu Nov 20, 2014 10:10 am

Any reason why you want a masters rather than a PhD, or at least first? Is it because of jobs at home that require both a masters and a PhD (e.g. tenure-track faculty positions in some countries) to obtain?

Most US PhD programs that award "en-route" masters do so conditionally to the passage of quals.

gendf

Post by gendf » Thu Nov 20, 2014 1:25 pm

If US university is not strong requirement, then you can consider Canada. Most their universities provide sufficient financial support during MS.

Catria

Post by Catria » Thu Nov 20, 2014 2:29 pm

gendf wrote:If US university is not strong requirement, then you can consider Canada. Most their universities provide sufficient financial support during MS.
However, it is harder for Canadian universities to fund internationals because they will have to compensate for extra tuition.

TakeruK

Post by TakeruK » Thu Nov 20, 2014 2:55 pm

It's true that Canadian universities will have to pay more for international students because the tuition is higher. But I still think it's easier for an international student to get funded in Canada than in the US because the difference in tuition is smaller! For example, it's approximately an extra $6000 at my MSc school for an international student, but in many US schools, the difference is about $10,000-$20,000.

In addition, many Canadian schools have extra sources of funding for international students. At my old MSc department, there were about 80 grad students and the University provides the department with supplemental funding for 9 international students. The professors themselves also agreed to each chip in a little bit of money from their grants to fund an extra pool for the department to recruit additional international students. This allows the fraction of international grad students to end up being a little bit higher than the ~10% observed at many US public institutions.

Therefore, I'd argue it's still more difficult for an international student than a Canadian student to get into a Canadian grad school. But, when comparing one-to-one with Canadian schools and a large US public state school, I think an international student might have a better chance in Canada. There is a caveat though, that there are many more schools in the US!

Robbie

Post by Robbie » Fri Nov 21, 2014 10:55 am

Catria wrote:Any reason why you want a masters rather than a PhD, or at least first? Is it because of jobs at home that require both a masters and a PhD (e.g. tenure-track faculty positions in some countries) to obtain?

Most US PhD programs that award "en-route" masters do so conditionally to the passage of quals.
Sorry, I don't understand your last sentence. I'm applying for PhD actually. Wanna consider some masters if it is FREE. Then jump to apply PhD. Is this idea practical?

Robbie

Post by Robbie » Fri Nov 21, 2014 10:59 am

gendf wrote:If US university is not strong requirement, then you can consider Canada. Most their universities provide sufficient financial support during MS.
I would say that I'm not suitable for the cold climate in high latitude like Canada... :D

Robbie

Post by Robbie » Fri Nov 21, 2014 11:02 am

TakeruK wrote:It's true that Canadian universities will have to pay more for international students because the tuition is higher. But I still think it's easier for an international student to get funded in Canada than in the US because the difference in tuition is smaller! For example, it's approximately an extra $6000 at my MSc school for an international student, but in many US schools, the difference is about $10,000-$20,000.

In addition, many Canadian schools have extra sources of funding for international students. At my old MSc department, there were about 80 grad students and the University provides the department with supplemental funding for 9 international students. The professors themselves also agreed to each chip in a little bit of money from their grants to fund an extra pool for the department to recruit additional international students. This allows the fraction of international grad students to end up being a little bit higher than the ~10% observed at many US public institutions.

Therefore, I'd argue it's still more difficult for an international student than a Canadian student to get into a Canadian grad school. But, when comparing one-to-one with Canadian schools and a large US public state school, I think an international student might have a better chance in Canada. There is a caveat though, that there are many more schools in the US!
am not suitable for coldness in Canada.

Catria

Post by Catria » Fri Nov 21, 2014 11:56 am

Robbie wrote:
I would say that I'm not suitable for the cold climate in high latitude like Canada... :D
Then you may not be comfortable at schools like Minnesota-Twin Cities, Cornell or Case Western either...

PathIntegrals92

Post by PathIntegrals92 » Fri Nov 21, 2014 12:13 pm

Or pretty much anywhere in the Northeast and Midwest USA

You know, you can always just layer up. This might open up your options more for USA and Canada.

TakeruK

Post by TakeruK » Fri Nov 21, 2014 12:16 pm

I'm also not suitable for coldness in some parts of Canada even though I was born in some of the cold parts! I grew up on the west coast where the average daily mean temperature is about 10 degrees C (around 5 in the winter and around 15-20 in the summer). That might still be cold depending on what you're used to but it's definitely not below freezing / covered in snow!

Robbie

Post by Robbie » Fri Nov 21, 2014 12:18 pm

PathIntegrals92 wrote:Or pretty much anywhere in the Northeast and Midwest USA

You know, you can always just layer up. This might open up your options more for USA and Canada.
Yeah, personal preference. non-negotiable.

Robbie

Post by Robbie » Fri Nov 21, 2014 12:21 pm

TakeruK wrote:I'm also not suitable for coldness in some parts of Canada even though I was born in some of the cold parts! I grew up on the west coast where the average daily mean temperature is about 10 degrees C (around 5 in the winter and around 15-20 in the summer). That might still be cold depending on what you're used to but it's definitely not below freezing / covered in snow!
You mean San Fran.? or even north?

Robbie

Post by Robbie » Fri Nov 21, 2014 12:21 pm

Catria wrote:
Robbie wrote:
Then you may not be comfortable at schools like Minnesota-Twin Cities, Cornell or Case Western either...
Definitely, I don't even consider those.

PathIntegrals92

Post by PathIntegrals92 » Fri Nov 21, 2014 12:28 pm

For U.S you are better off applying to PhD programs. Terminal master programs are usually unfunded. Unless if you can win a fellowship or something from your country that will support you...

Maybe look at University of Hawaii =)

Robbie

Post by Robbie » Fri Nov 21, 2014 12:40 pm

PathIntegrals92 wrote:For U.S you are better off applying to PhD programs. Terminal master programs are usually unfunded. Unless if you can win a fellowship or something from your country that will support you...

Maybe look at University of Hawaii =)
Thanks. You mean hawaii at manoa has tuition waive & financial support?( many U.s' website is not very clear for me, like this one.)

By the way, do you know what is the purpose of ONLY(if this happens) obtaining a master in physics. Being a teacher in secondary school?? Or..?

PathIntegrals92

Post by PathIntegrals92 » Fri Nov 21, 2014 12:47 pm

Robbie wrote:Thanks. You mean hawaii at manoa has tuition waive & financial support?( many U.s' website is not very clear for me, like this one.)

By the way, do you know what is the purpose of ONLY(if this happens) obtaining a master in physics. Being a teacher in secondary school?? Or..?
Sorry I suggested that school for PhD since you said in an above post that you are applying to PhD programs too.

You have to demonstrate a need for a fee waive to receive one, i think.

Maybe for industry opportunities ( not research oriented)? I don't know why, but if I were to apply to master in physics programs it would be because I want to make my app stronger (more courses, research, raise pgre). However, my advisors told me that it was unnecessary...

TakeruK

Post by TakeruK » Fri Nov 21, 2014 1:10 pm

Robbie wrote:
TakeruK wrote:I'm also not suitable for coldness in some parts of Canada even though I was born in some of the cold parts! I grew up on the west coast where the average daily mean temperature is about 10 degrees C (around 5 in the winter and around 15-20 in the summer). That might still be cold depending on what you're used to but it's definitely not below freezing / covered in snow!
You mean San Fran.? or even north?
San Francisco is in the United States. I was talking about Vancouver, British Columbia (49 degrees N latitude). Don't let the number scare you, it's not only about how far north you are, but also the surrounding geography. Vancouver has a very temperate (but rainy) climate, with little variation from season to season (as you can see from the numbers above). Culturally, it is a lot like San Francisco and when I visited San Fran, it was a lot like home in terms of weather too. But if you want a better match, Seattle, WA and Vancouver are basically the same city.

Robbie

Post by Robbie » Fri Nov 21, 2014 11:01 pm

PathIntegrals92 wrote:
Robbie wrote:Thanks. You mean hawaii at manoa has tuition waive & financial support?( many U.s' website is not very clear for me, like this one.)

Sorry I suggested that school for PhD since you said in an above post that you are applying to PhD programs too.

You have to demonstrate a need for a fee waive to receive one, i think.

Maybe for industry opportunities ( not research oriented)? I don't know why, but if I were to apply to master in physics programs it would be because I want to make my app stronger (more courses, research, raise pgre). However, my advisors told me that it was unnecessary...
Agree. Hopeless for a master in physics.