north carolina state raleigh vs chapel hill

instrument.santosh

north carolina state raleigh vs chapel hill

Post by instrument.santosh » Mon Nov 17, 2014 6:06 am

Okay i guess i am a bit confused now ! my research interest is in cosmology and theoretical astro (wouldn't mind exp too). I am an international student and was planning to apply to NC state as a safety. now I am not sure as to which is better in astro - chapel hill one or the raleigh one. can any domestic student please help me regarding these questions ?

1) which is better in cosmology/astro among those two (judging by the website i would say chapel hill ? )
2) which is well reputed/recognized ? ( i know this is by no means a criteria to select a school asking just for info!)
2)which has good intake ratio ? ( as i am an international) (or) which is more safe to apply ?
3) which has better living conditions (like better campus and stuff )

facing hard time not to personally go there and see how the campus is *the disadvantage of being international applicant* !

Thanks a bunch !

Catria

Re: north carolina state raleigh vs chapel hill

Post by Catria » Mon Nov 17, 2014 4:09 pm

Are you sure Case Western isn't an option? Or WUSTL?

Plus, did you take the PGRE in September or October?

If anyone needs to see the credentials first, then go here: http://www.physicsgre.com/viewtopic.php ... 161#p47161

instrument.santosh

Post by instrument.santosh » Tue Nov 18, 2014 3:30 am

yup i did take my PGRE, october one and am waiting for the results which is due on 25th Nov !
am kinda expecting anywhere between 800 - 900 range

Case western yes, i am of course applying. i am need of 2nd safety (just in case ! )

and WUSTL, i always thought it would be in moderate to ambitious range ? is it like a safety ?

bfollinprm

Post by bfollinprm » Tue Nov 18, 2014 12:07 pm

WUSTL is probably not a safety. Case might not be either anymore--if this forum is anything to go by there's a crap ton of people applying this year (I feel partially responsible for this, so sorry).

As to which is better of the NC schools (I assume you mean NC state vs. UNC), that will probably be a personal decision. Neither is the clear better choice. Globally (over all fields) UNC probably has a bigger name.