Schools, schmools

wompwomp

Schools, schmools

Post by wompwomp » Sat Nov 15, 2014 8:25 pm

I have a couple of days to come up with a preliminary list of schools to apply to, but I'm really struggling here. I am applying to some physics, some applied math, and some computational science programs. This eclectic mix means that I don't actually know how selective the programs are - they are probably all ridiculously difficult to get into. I am failing at identifying any matches or safeties.

Undergrad Institution: Ranked LAC
Degrees: Physics ( No minor, but plenty of match classes)
GPA in Major: 3.55
Overall GPA: 3.65 ( 3.7+ in Math)
Length of Degree: 4 yrs
Type of Student: International

GRE Scores :
Q: 166
V: 169
W: 4.5
P: 890

Research Experience:
- 2 years (after college) in a computational biology lab - Second author in one paper, third author in another. Working on a paper as a first author, and on another as a second author. I don't know if I'll be done with these by the time I apply.
- Honors thesis in experimental AMO. Eventually lead to a widely read paper ( I was third author).
- Year long astrophysics research project.

Other background:
Having worked in a computational biology lab for a bit now, I am a bit bored of molecular dynamics work. I want to be doing more math/physics, and also want to get into computational method development. Also still interested in computational work in condensed matter. That is basically the reason I'm looking at such an eclectic mix of schools.

List of schools so far:

- Stanford: Computational Science and Engineering
- Columbia: Applied Physics
- UIUC: Computational Science and Engineering
- UT Austin: Computational Engineering and Sciences
- Georgia Tech: Computational science and engineering
- UCSD: Physics (CMT)
- Yale: Physics (CMT)
- Cornell: Physics (CMT)
- Brown: Applied math

Also considering UPenn, Penn State, University of Washington, University of Maryland, etc.

Very top heavy, no?

I'm looking to apply to 10-15 schools. Thoughts? Suggestions?

Catria

Re: Schools, schmools

Post by Catria » Sat Nov 15, 2014 10:27 pm

Rutgers, Minnesota?