Help in Selecting schools for my profile

Explorer33

Help in Selecting schools for my profile

Post by Explorer33 » Wed Nov 12, 2014 6:17 am

Hi...it's this time of the year where applications start. I could do with some help in applying for a Ph.D. As a strategy I have decided to apply to 20 Schools. Now before you say anything I will tell you that money is not so much of a problem. Besides Ph.D programs are funded a lot , so really spending on the application is ok.

Details:
------------------

Background: B.E |Electronics and Communications Engineer with lots of Physics related subjects| 4 Year programs

University: Prestigious one from Bangalore, India

GPA: I have 64 %( First Class) and I am not sure how it translates into GPA. I am guessing it is equal to a 3.5/4

GRE( Old Format):1390/1600

[ Quant:770/800 and Verbal:620/800 and Analytical 4.0/6.0 ]

TOEFL:100/120

Physics GRE:Scores report Pending

Research Experience: None

Job Experience: Embedded Engineer so exposure to a lot of technologies and software but not Physics, atleast not directly.

-----------------------------

I love Physics and I enjoy solving problems. I think this is important because I am going into this field purely out of love and enthusiasm

Bonus Skills: Certified Writer with a very active blog with a few Physics articles. Can do both Creative and Technical Writing which I think is a plus for thesis.

Ardent Reader.

Other useful information: Well rounded :State level Badminton player | Quiz | Debate | Computer Gaming competitions winner

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I am trying to write a good SOP and get decent LOR's.

Now for the main question, where should I apply?

The following is a list I have confirmed. Let me know what you think of my chances and add if you can to make it a list of 20.

1. Carnegie Mellon University
2. Upenn
3. Univ of Texas | Austin
4. Pennstate Univ
5. UCLA
6. Ohio State Univ

So yeah 14 more to go :mrgreen:

admissionprof

Re: Help in Selecting schools for my profile

Post by admissionprof » Wed Nov 12, 2014 7:08 am

How can anyone make suggestions based on this information? No indications as to whether you ever took quantum or electrodynamics (at the level of Griffiths), classical, stat mech. No subject GRE. If you did take those courses and are 90% in the subject GRE, then you should aim higher than your list, If you didn't and are 30% in the subject GRE, your list is a reach. TOEFL is fine, but badminton, writing, ardent reading are irrelevant.

Explorer33

Re: Help in Selecting schools for my profile

Post by Explorer33 » Wed Nov 12, 2014 10:20 am

admissionprof wrote:How can anyone make suggestions based on this information? No indications as to whether you ever took quantum or electrodynamics (at the level of Griffiths), classical, stat mech. No subject GRE. If you did take those courses and are 90% in the subject GRE, then you should aim higher than your list, If you didn't and are 30% in the subject GRE, your list is a reach. TOEFL is fine, but badminton, writing, ardent reading are irrelevant.
Thanks for the reply.

GRE Subject Test Results are awaited and it's hard for me to gauge how much I will get. I had very little time to prepare... I am thinking around 50th Percentile or a score of 650...ish. Of course I could get much higher but I honestly dont know...it was all too fast in the exam.

As far as courses go I do have an Electronics background and plenty of Physics in School and College so the subjects taken include: Electromagnetism, Classical , Thermodynamics and Statistical, Atomic Physics etc. Most of these are from school though.

In Engineering I had Field Theory, Waves, Electronics, Electromagnetism, Antennaes and a subject called Engineering Physics which had bits of everything ( Solid State Physics etc).

In the sense I have had a feel for most of the subjects except Quantum and Relativity...and these are the ones I had to learn fresh.