Computational Fluid Mechanics in Physics Graduate School

• This has become our largest and most active forum because the physics GRE is just one aspect of getting accepted into a graduate physics program.
  • There are applications, personal statements, letters of recommendation, visiting schools, anxiety of waiting for acceptances, deciding between schools, finding out where others are going, etc.

gsbphy

Computational Fluid Mechanics in Physics Graduate School

Post by gsbphy » Fri Oct 31, 2014 7:16 pm

If I want to do CFD in grad school, what fields should I be looking at? I like GR.

bfollinprm

Re: Computational Fluid Mechanics in Physics Graduate School

Post by bfollinprm » Sat Nov 01, 2014 1:19 pm

Fluid dynamics, obviously. Cosmology/gravity, in simulating black-hole, neutron star mergers, etc. Biophysics. I'm sure there are more.

gsbphy

Post by gsbphy » Sat Nov 01, 2014 10:46 pm

bfollinprm wrote:Fluid dynamics, obviously. Cosmology/gravity, in simulating black-hole, neutron star mergers, etc. Biophysics. I'm sure there are more.
bfollinprm! I've seen your posts a lot here lately - do you mind looking at the school list I've come up with so far?

(all for computational astrophysics + person i'd like to work most with)

Princeton (Pretorius)
Caltech (Ott)
Cornell (Teukolsky)
UIUC (Shapiro)
UCSC (Ramirez-Ruiz)

Do you have other schools to suggest? I'm afraid my list is a bit top-heavy!

bfollinprm

Post by bfollinprm » Sun Nov 02, 2014 11:24 am

Maryland and Michigan are other good options. I'm sorry I can't be super helpful here; I don't pay as much attention as I should to where all the good simulations are coming from (it does seem, however, that many of them are coming from Germany and Japan, so if either of those countries sound appealing, you might look into that).

gsbphy

Post by gsbphy » Sun Nov 02, 2014 4:18 pm

bfollinprm wrote:Maryland and Michigan are other good options. I'm sorry I can't be super helpful here; I don't pay as much attention as I should to where all the good simulations are coming from (it does seem, however, that many of them are coming from Germany and Japan, so if either of those countries sound appealing, you might look into that).
Thanks! I'll be sure to look into those schools as well.

Arbitrary

Post by Arbitrary » Tue Nov 04, 2014 10:30 am

It appears to me that many times Fluid Dynamics hide within the realms of condensed matter, and particularly soft matter physics. You might want to look into the soft matter group at UChicago (Zhang, Irvine both do types of CFDs).

In addition, other good places to find CFD are geophysics (meteorology), non-linear phenomena (turbulence, econo-physics).
Hope this helps :)