seeking an integrated PhD in theoretical physics.

Himanshu_Shukla

seeking an integrated PhD in theoretical physics.

Post by Himanshu_Shukla » Sat Jul 19, 2014 11:38 am

Hello!
I am a bachelor of Technology (B.Tech), from National Institute of Technology, Karnataka India ( a college of national repute).
Branch: Mining Engineering
Cumulative GPA:7.52/10
Physics courses completed: Mathematical Physics, General Theory of Relativity, Advanced Quantum Mechanics + the freshman physics.

During my engineering days I developed a great interest for Physics which turned into a passion. I have also been reading a lot on the subject matter and have kept myself abreast of the development in this field. I am keenly interested in theoretical and mathematical physics especially cosmology; wish to study it further and I seek a career in it. I will be writing GRE in coming October to open up my way for higher education overseas. Can you please suggest me as to which institutes do offer Integrated or direct Phd? and what PGRE score should I have to get into a decent school?

I don't have any research experience as such. Since my field is theoretical I just studied the subjects and used to have discussions with the physics faculty. I am sure to get good recommendations. Can I get a fellowship if I score good in General and Physics GRE?

midwestphysics

Re: seeking an integrated PhD in theoretical physics.

Post by midwestphysics » Sun Jul 20, 2014 2:30 am

Chances: Slim, but that's the case for everyone. Especially with your degree.

PGRE and GRE score needed: Perfect, and that's a minimum requirement that will do nothing but ensure your app is not thrown out at go, and only concerning gre scores it might be thrown out for a lot of other reasons.

Career: Good luck :lol: I mean that, everyone in that area, all 12 that are employed and 100's unemployed are constantly concerned about that issue.

Fellowship: Nope, and prepare to TA your entire time even when doing research because your adviser will be super poor.

Honestly you'd be hard pressed to pick a more competitive area with the worst prospects of ever finding a job in the field. I love that stuff too and it's super interesting but take it up as a hobby. I'd bet if you crunched the numbers a person has a better chance of winning a major jackpot in the lottery or becoming a celebrity than making it in that field. In fact I know for sure the lottery one is true, and let's be honest if we've learned anything over the past decade we're all one "internet tape" away from fame lol.

Himanshu_Shukla

Post by Himanshu_Shukla » Wed Jul 23, 2014 2:46 pm

ok! that's discouraging! Well! I have also read a great deal of stuff about particle physics, string theory, Quantum Gravity and they interest me too. Can I apply for a masters program anywhere you can suggest with of course a good PGRE score and expect to get a scholarship? maybe then I will have a better chance to get a decent school for PhD! :?:

Please for Stewie's sake suggest me something :!:

PathIntegrals92

Post by PathIntegrals92 » Fri Nov 21, 2014 12:24 pm

Himanshu_Shukla wrote:ok! that's discouraging! Well! I have also read a great deal of stuff about particle physics, string theory, Quantum Gravity and they interest me too. Can I apply for a masters program anywhere you can suggest with of course a good PGRE score and expect to get a scholarship? maybe then I will have a better chance to get a decent school for PhD! :?:

Please for Stewie's sake suggest me something :!:
Just ran across your thread, but it seems like you didn't get the answer you are looking for. First, midwestphysics is right! Second, since your bachelor degree is not in physics, it is going to very tough. RA and other fellowships for theorists, especially HEP-TH, are very very tough to get.

It's more common in the U.S for students to go directly from BS/BA -->PhD for physics, and terminal master's programs are usually unfunded.

If you look through other threads, you'll see that in Canada master students are funded. Maybe look at schools there. You might want to check other countries too.

Also do you have research experience? That would be important too...