Books

• If you want to know something about the GRE subject test in physics then chances are you will find it in here.
  • If something about the physics GRE it isn't already discussed in here then please put it in here.

nafiz

Books

Post by nafiz » Mon Apr 07, 2014 1:26 pm

I will start a course in Quantum Mechanics in my university. It's my first course in QM.
Can anyone please recommend some good books of QM? I am confused where to start from?

janghun

Re: Books

Post by janghun » Mon Apr 07, 2014 2:27 pm

Hi. Nafiz.
I recommend you Quantum Mechanics a Modern introduction, Ashok Das at first.
This textbook really includes many good things, especially physical insights on QM & comprehensible explanations about math.
Of course, I studied the book. it is so powerful to get comprehensive and critical knowledges of Quantum Mechanics.
Last edited by janghun on Tue Feb 14, 2017 12:23 am, edited 1 time in total.

nafiz

Post by nafiz » Mon Apr 07, 2014 2:51 pm

Thanks Hun for your suggestion...
What about Griffith's "Introduction to QM"
I heard it is a good book....

janghun

Post by janghun » Mon Apr 07, 2014 3:24 pm

Nafiz.

That is also good.
it is one of the traditional textbooks at the introduction level.

Dwy

Post by Dwy » Tue Apr 08, 2014 12:59 am

I personally wouldn't recommend Griffiths book as an intro, however I have no alternative. I'm saying that because when I jumped from Griffiths to Sakurai's "Modern Quantum Mechanics" I noticed how far behind I was. I feel like Griffiths is a little too soft on notation and rigorousness.

Still... If you want to study by his book I would suggest you do every single exercise. Otherwise you'll miss a lot of important stuff.

TakeruK

Post by TakeruK » Tue Apr 08, 2014 2:19 am

Dwy wrote:I personally wouldn't recommend Griffiths book as an intro, however I have no alternative. I'm saying that because when I jumped from Griffiths to Sakurai's "Modern Quantum Mechanics" I noticed how far behind I was. I feel like Griffiths is a little too soft on notation and rigorousness.

Still... If you want to study by his book I would suggest you do every single exercise. Otherwise you'll miss a lot of important stuff.
I agree that Griffiths is not a great book to study QM if you want to learn enough QM to get you prepared e.g. graduate level QM (or even advanced undergrad QM). However, for the OP, for their very first course in QM, I think Griffiths is a great introduction. Sure, it's not super rigorous, but I think Griffiths stresses conceptual understanding over mathematical rigor, and I think this is a better approach for someone's very first course in QM. Also in my opinion, as someone who is not interested in learning all the rigor of QM, I am happy with my surface level conceptual-based QM from Griffiths (all of my undergrad QM courses were taught out of Griffiths--my senior advanced QM was the perturbation theory chapters at the end of Griffiths).

nafiz

Post by nafiz » Tue Apr 08, 2014 1:08 pm

thanks everyone for your suggestions....