easy astronomy programs

• If you want to know something about the GRE subject test in physics then chances are you will find it in here.
  • If something about the physics GRE it isn't already discussed in here then please put it in here.

delsub

easy astronomy programs

Post by delsub » Wed Oct 30, 2013 11:37 pm

Does anyone know any easy to get admitted into type astronomy PhD programs, that may be willing to take students in January?

Please let me know, if you are aware of any. I HAVE to get at least one offer in January

delsub

Re: easy astronomy programs

Post by delsub » Fri Nov 01, 2013 12:19 pm

help please help !!!!\

SOS call !!!!

I just defended my masters thesis successfully - now if only i would get one January offer !!!

TakeruK

Post by TakeruK » Fri Nov 01, 2013 1:38 pm

What do you mean by "easy to get into" astronomy programs? While it's true that some schools are more selective than others, you will still need to be a good fit to be accepted into any program. So, it will be worth your time to do you research and find out where would be good fits for you. A lot of programs might not advertise that they accept January-entry so I think it's better to first find the programs that fit you and then contact them and ask about January admittance. You'll have to move fast, since January is less than 2 months away! If you find good-fit programs but they won't accept January entry, then keep their names around and apply for Fall 2014 (which have deadlines coming up in a month or so!)

Also, why do you HAVE to get a January offer? In many astronomy programs, there is a sequence of courses that begins in the Fall so starting in January can be pretty difficult. But sometimes people just have to start in January! I don't want to assume anything here, but sometimes the reason might be immigration related (disregard the rest if it's not). If it is immigration reasons (i.e. F-1 status running out now that you've finished your Masters), can you apply for OPT status and work on a project until next Fall? Maybe as a part time research assistant at your current school? I think you might be able to qualify for OPT status even if you are not being paid (i.e. volunteering). Not having a stipend might be difficult though! Also, I don't know if you need to apply for OPT status before you finish your Masters, but I think you have something like 30 days to start your OPT work after your degree?

delsub

Post by delsub » Fri Nov 01, 2013 5:19 pm

One I m already an MS - I do not need to take too many courses - maybe 2 - to commence a PhD.

Two I need to get into college in Jan - since I am finishing my MS this December.

As a foreign student I always have to be enrolled somewhere.

3 Though late, colleges/Physics PhD programs ranked below 130 will still take students in January.

So if you knwo of any then please let me know

TakeruK

Post by TakeruK » Fri Nov 01, 2013 5:29 pm

My experience with US PhD programs is that they will generally not let you count too many MS courses towards your PhD. You will still have to do the majority of them. I also had an MSc coming into a US PhD program. One program would waive 3 out of 15 required courses if you entered with a Masters (from the US or internationally).

Also, you don't always have to be enrolled to remain in the US. Like I was saying you could get onto OPT status. http://www.uscis.gov/archive/archive-ne ... d-students

You can be authorised to remain your MS F-1 status for up to 12 months post-graduation if you meet these requirements. Talk to your school's international office to get more information. I am also a foreign student and I have found my international program office to be extremely helpful for confusing stuff like this.

I'm saying this not to discourage you from entering a January-start program, but to give you an alternate path of action to consider in case your January-start plan does not work out. However, a PhD is a long program. Maybe it's better to get into a fall-start program that fits you well instead of rushing to get into just any January-start program.

delsub

Post by delsub » Sun Nov 03, 2013 8:54 pm

my MS is from a college in Texas

delsub

Post by delsub » Fri Feb 14, 2014 2:43 am

does someone know of any universities where the deadline for Fall 2014 Physics PhD is not yet past?

Daquarius

Post by Daquarius » Fri Feb 14, 2014 8:55 am

delsub

Post by delsub » Mon Feb 17, 2014 11:19 pm

thanks a ton

delsub

Post by delsub » Wed Mar 05, 2014 1:43 am

got into CUNY --------------------YAY