Timing of Decision Information

• If you want to know something about the GRE subject test in physics then chances are you will find it in here.
  • If something about the physics GRE it isn't already discussed in here then please put it in here.

mjgm

Timing of Decision Information

Post by mjgm » Wed Feb 05, 2014 10:42 am

The grad school admission result season's here and it can be nerve wracking. :? Each time the inbox gets a mail it seems like this may be it - the make or break deal for a grad school. And yeah, PhysicsGRE.com and thegradcafe.com are SO addictive in such times.

So the question's simple: is there any time during the day when information about admission results are communicated? Or is it any time during the day?

catharsis

Re: Timing of Decision Information

Post by catharsis » Wed Feb 05, 2014 10:54 am

mjgm wrote:The grad school admission result season's here and it can be nerve wracking. :? Each time the inbox gets a mail it seems like this may be it - the make or break deal for a grad school. And yeah, PhysicsGRE.com and thegradcafe.com are SO addictive in such times.

So the question's simple: is there any time during the day when information about admission results are communicated? Or is it any time during the day?
Agreed, agreed and agreed. It might have just been coincidence, but all four of my acceptances have arrived after 5pm; and two of them after 7:30pm on a Friday night! I get more nervous now closer to evening time. However, yesterday Stanford Applied Physics sent out acceptances and rejections in the early afternoon, around 2pm. So I'm not sure my evening trend will hold for too long.

mjgm

Post by mjgm » Wed Feb 05, 2014 10:56 am

catharsis wrote:
mjgm wrote:The grad school admission result season's here and it can be nerve wracking. :? Each time the inbox gets a mail it seems like this may be it - the make or break deal for a grad school. And yeah, PhysicsGRE.com and thegradcafe.com are SO addictive in such times.

Agreed, agreed and agreed. It might have just been coincidence, but all four of my acceptances have arrived after 5pm; and two of them after 7:30pm on a Friday night! I get more nervous now closer to evening time. However, yesterday Stanford Applied Physics sent out acceptances and rejections in the early afternoon, around 2pm. So I'm not sure my evening trend will hold for too long.

Do you stay in the United States? I live in Asia. So evening there is probably in the morning half here. :D

catharsis

Post by catharsis » Wed Feb 05, 2014 12:21 pm

mjgm wrote:
catharsis wrote:

Do you stay in the United States? I live in Asia. So evening there is probably in the morning half here. :D
Ahh yes sorry, that's close-minded of me! EST, NY :)

mjgm

Post by mjgm » Wed Feb 05, 2014 12:23 pm

Agreed, agreed and agreed. It might have just been coincidence, but all four of my acceptances have arrived after 5pm; and two of them after 7:30pm on a Friday night! I get more nervous now closer to evening time. However, yesterday Stanford Applied Physics sent out acceptances and rejections in the early afternoon, around 2pm. So I'm not sure my evening trend will hold for too long.[/quote]

Do you stay in the United States? I live in Asia. So evening there is probably in the morning half here. :D[/quote]

Ahh yes sorry, that's close-minded of me! EST, NY :)[/quote]

Yeah. Thanks for the information. :)

Anyone else who wants to share?

TakeruK

Post by TakeruK » Wed Feb 05, 2014 12:25 pm

Usually the first information you get is from a professor in your department, sometimes someone that you mentioned in your SOP. So, a phone call or email will happen whenever they have some free time. If you live far away, a phone call is less likely since they are not going to call if it's 2am your time! But whether it comes in the morning or afternoon probably depends the most on whether the prof likes to do his/her admin work in the morning or afternoon.

mjgm

Post by mjgm » Wed Feb 05, 2014 1:36 pm

TakeruK wrote:Usually the first information you get is from a professor in your department, sometimes someone that you mentioned in your SOP. So, a phone call or email will happen whenever they have some free time. If you live far away, a phone call is less likely since they are not going to call if it's 2am your time! But whether it comes in the morning or afternoon probably depends the most on whether the prof likes to do his/her admin work in the morning or afternoon.
Ok

mjgm

Post by mjgm » Wed Feb 05, 2014 1:38 pm

mjgm wrote:
TakeruK wrote:Usually the first information you get is from a professor in your department, sometimes someone that you mentioned in your SOP. So, a phone call or email will happen whenever they have some free time. If you live far away, a phone call is less likely since they are not going to call if it's 2am your time! But whether it comes in the morning or afternoon probably depends the most on whether the prof likes to do his/her admin work in the morning or afternoon.
Do you always get such a mail from the prof since I guess in quite a few cases you just get the admit or rejection, without any interaction, purely based on credentials.

catharsis

Post by catharsis » Wed Feb 05, 2014 2:52 pm

mjgm wrote:
mjgm wrote:
Do you always get such a mail from the prof since I guess in quite a few cases you just get the admit or rejection, without any interaction, purely based on credentials.
The faculty who have contacted me so far have only done so once I had received word of my official acceptances

mjgm

Post by mjgm » Wed Feb 05, 2014 2:53 pm

Do you always get such a mail from the prof since I guess in quite a few cases you just get the admit or rejection, without any interaction, purely based on credentials.[/quote]

The faculty who have contacted me so far have only done so once I had received word of my official acceptances[/quote]

Oh Ok. Fine.

TakeruK

Post by TakeruK » Wed Feb 05, 2014 9:17 pm

mjgm wrote:
It seems like other people have had different experiences, but for me, all of my acceptances came like this:

0. Phone call from a prof [most cases, but not always]
1. Email from either a prof in the department, or the prof in charge of grad students/head of admissions committee. This email will say something like "congratulations, we have selected you for admission and have forwarded your application to the graduate school for final approval". This usually just a formality. The email might also mention a visit and some information about the program. It's usually a start of a conversation where you can ask any questions you might have etc. They might also be able to give you some details like funding etc.
2. Email from the Graduate School with the official offer letter stating the funding info, deadline to respond etc. This might come with more information about the school in general (brochures etc.)
3. Physical copy of #2 arrives in the mail a short while later.