any good news yet?

• This has become our largest and most active forum because the physics GRE is just one aspect of getting accepted into a graduate physics program.
  • There are applications, personal statements, letters of recommendation, visiting schools, anxiety of waiting for acceptances, deciding between schools, finding out where others are going, etc.

photomagnetic

any good news yet?

Post by photomagnetic » Sat Jan 11, 2014 4:25 pm

I've been hearing that some of my pals got some offers already.
harvard/kansas/yale/iowa

any news about you?
Last edited by photomagnetic on Thu Jan 23, 2014 11:05 am, edited 1 time in total.

kev12592

Re: any good news yet?

Post by kev12592 » Sat Jan 11, 2014 7:19 pm

http://www.thegradcafe.com/survey/index.php?q=physics

This website is a great reference if you don't know about it yet. It looks like Kansas State has started giving acceptances.

kathiravangg

Post by kathiravangg » Thu Jan 16, 2014 7:44 am

Got an admit from the University of Kansas via email on 01/15, 18200$ TA ! :D

photomagnetic

Post by photomagnetic » Thu Jan 16, 2014 8:09 am

congratz!!

Arbitrary

Post by Arbitrary » Fri Jan 17, 2014 5:16 am

16/1 - Accepted to U. Chicago !
That was much faster than anticipated.
No financial offer for now, however.

AEP

Post by AEP » Fri Jan 17, 2014 6:10 am

Same here, UChicago 31K+4K fellowship

jeffreyweee

Post by jeffreyweee » Fri Jan 17, 2014 5:24 pm

Got an interview for Michigan Biophysics today!!!

Dwy

Post by Dwy » Fri Jan 17, 2014 6:36 pm

Who else has heard from U of Mich? From thegradcafe the ones who got early acceptance had 950, 980 and 980 pgre scores. Pretty scary.

photomagnetic

Post by photomagnetic » Fri Jan 17, 2014 7:00 pm

Dwy wrote:Who else has heard from U of Mich? From thegradcafe the ones who got early acceptance had 950, 980 and 980 pgre scores. Pretty scary.
tell me about it.
seen those.

Dwy

Post by Dwy » Fri Jan 17, 2014 7:16 pm

photomagnetic wrote:
Dwy wrote:Who else has heard from U of Mich? From thegradcafe the ones who got early acceptance had 950, 980 and 980 pgre scores. Pretty scary.
tell me about it.
seen those.
I need to stop refreshing that page and go back to work.

photomagnetic

Post by photomagnetic » Fri Jan 17, 2014 7:31 pm

Dwy wrote:
photomagnetic wrote:
tell me about it.
seen those.
I need to stop refreshing that page and go back to work.
haha same here

r4ve

Post by r4ve » Sat Jan 18, 2014 12:21 am

and now it seems like stony brook is giving out admissions.. again with very high pgre scores. scary indeed

photomagnetic

Post by photomagnetic » Sat Jan 18, 2014 2:56 pm

gz for the acceptances guys.

but the fckin pgre score are wayyyy too high :l
uni of washington- 990 for a domestic.
correct me if i am wrong but what the heck??

r4ve

Post by r4ve » Sat Jan 18, 2014 3:07 pm

well im guessing these are literally the first round of admissions.. so its natural that their scores are basically perfect? the cream of the crop of the applicant pool.

jeffreyweee

Post by jeffreyweee » Sat Jan 18, 2014 6:16 pm

I wouldn't freak out until it's mid-march and you don't have an acceptance. Also, head over to grad cafe and type your programs in and look at last years results. You'll see the waves of applicants, etc. and it will calm you down.

Dwy

Post by Dwy » Sat Jan 18, 2014 6:56 pm

jeffreyweee wrote:I wouldn't freak out until it's mid-march and you don't have an acceptance. Also, head over to grad cafe and type your programs in and look at last years results. You'll see the waves of applicants, etc. and it will calm you down.
Consider yourself hugged

kev12592

Post by kev12592 » Sun Jan 19, 2014 3:51 am

photomagnetic wrote:gz for the acceptances guys.

but the fckin pgre score are wayyyy too high :l
uni of washington- 990 for a domestic.
correct me if i am wrong but what the heck??
2 domestics now for Washington with 990 pgre. 2 more more domestics with 920+ pgre. Sigh, it is my top choice, and hopefully they are just getting these automatic acceptances over with early…

Good for them though, I'd be bragging everywhere too if I got acceptances this early.

photomagnetic

Post by photomagnetic » Sun Jan 19, 2014 3:53 am

Dwy wrote:
jeffreyweee wrote:I wouldn't freak out until it's mid-march and you don't have an acceptance. Also, head over to grad cafe and type your programs in and look at last years results. You'll see the waves of applicants, etc. and it will calm you down.
Consider yourself hugged
even i felt the love

Galois2199

Post by Galois2199 » Wed Jan 22, 2014 2:55 am

Will almost all schools email you if you're either accepted or rejected, or must we continually check the status off our application on the schools site?

kev12592

Post by kev12592 » Wed Jan 22, 2014 11:28 am

They'll e-mail you. Some might still send acceptances by mail however.

TakeruK

Post by TakeruK » Wed Jan 22, 2014 12:26 pm

Many of my schools actually called me first, then emailed me with a PDF of the official acceptance letter, then they mailed a hard copy of the same PDF.

photomagnetic

Post by photomagnetic » Wed Jan 22, 2014 2:02 pm

first rejection
uminnesota, twin cities- astrophysics via e-mail.
well meh
i guess ppl from minnesota arent as kind as they say =(
Last edited by photomagnetic on Wed Jan 22, 2014 2:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Monkerest

Post by Monkerest » Wed Jan 22, 2014 2:09 pm

photomagnetic wrote:first rejection
uminnesota, twin cities- astrophysics via mail.
well meh
You mean via e-mail right? I don't know why I care. Sorry to hear it, dude, and best of luck to you!

photomagnetic

Post by photomagnetic » Wed Jan 22, 2014 2:33 pm

Monkerest wrote:
photomagnetic wrote:first rejection
uminnesota, twin cities- astrophysics via mail.
well meh
You mean via e-mail right? I don't know why I care. Sorry to hear it, dude, and best of luck to you!
hah yea e-mail. sorry for the confusion.
and thanks!

tsymmetry

Post by tsymmetry » Wed Jan 22, 2014 9:31 pm

UChicago by phone for CMT! The professor who called was one who I talked about most in my statement so I assume they are probably doing admissions by group. I was told that I should be getting an email sometime soon with full information.

skpgre

Post by skpgre » Wed Jan 22, 2014 10:36 pm

tsymmetry wrote:UChicago by phone for CMT! The professor who called was one who I talked about most in my statement so I assume they are probably doing admissions by group. I was told that I should be getting an email sometime soon with full information.
Woah! Congratulations! I am slightly more hopeful about my own chances now - which also means I am that much more nervous.

Arbitrary

Post by Arbitrary » Thu Jan 23, 2014 2:07 am

Congratulations tsymmetry :)
Perhaps we would attend the same group next year...

Scooter

Post by Scooter » Thu Jan 23, 2014 5:46 pm

Just got an acceptance from Rochester.

Dwy

Post by Dwy » Thu Jan 23, 2014 6:28 pm

Rejection from Princeton's Astrophysical Sciences =/.

AEP

Post by AEP » Thu Jan 23, 2014 8:18 pm

Dwy wrote:Rejection from Princeton's Astrophysical Sciences =/.
Your GPA=3.89, PGRE=880?

Dwy

Post by Dwy » Thu Jan 23, 2014 8:22 pm

AEP wrote:
Your GPA=3.89, PGRE=880?
MSc GPA 4.0, PGRE 880 and one publication as 1st author in the field of interest.

Edit: Why?

AEP

Post by AEP » Thu Jan 23, 2014 8:36 pm

Dwy wrote:
AEP wrote:
Your GPA=3.89, PGRE=880?
MSc GPA 4.0, PGRE 880 and one publication as 1st author in the field of interest.

Edit: Why?
I saw it on the grad cafe and thought it was you

Dwy

Post by Dwy » Thu Jan 23, 2014 8:42 pm

Oh ok :) . I actually just put my result there.

AEP

Post by AEP » Thu Jan 23, 2014 8:45 pm

Dwy wrote:Oh ok :) . I actually just put my result there.
Good luck on your applications to other schools.

Dwy

Post by Dwy » Thu Jan 23, 2014 8:47 pm

AEP wrote:
Dwy wrote:Oh ok :) . I actually just put my result there.
Good luck on your applications to other schools.
Thank you. Nine more to go. Good luck to you too.

kathiravangg

Post by kathiravangg » Sat Jan 25, 2014 4:49 am

Colorado State fort Collins has started giving admits .. source thegradcafe post ...

jeffreyweee

Post by jeffreyweee » Mon Jan 27, 2014 7:30 pm

Irvine Physics acceptance with Regents' Fellowship!

tsymmetry

Post by tsymmetry » Wed Jan 29, 2014 9:16 am

It's very interesting as it seems many departments have started accepting people a lot earlier this year. Before I would have thought it was unlikely that I would be admitted to both Michigan and Chicago before the end of January. It's a good thing thought since hearing good new has helped relieve a lot of the stress my friends and I were experiencing and has made us feel more confident. Biophysics especially seems to be admitting people very early. My friend has already gotten into Harvard and Yale.

nik

Post by nik » Wed Jan 29, 2014 12:51 pm

Hi guys,

Congratulations to those who already got accepted. I have applied to some of the schools that already published results (UChicago, UT-Autin, Upenn, Rochester) but I didn't get any reply yet. I guess my applications were too late - most of them marginally before the deadline and some were complete (with score, LOR) after the deadline.

May I ask those who already got accepted to post and/or update your profile in this thread: http://www.physicsgre.com/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=5203

This will help us to see the type of profile that are accepted before others. thank you.

turbina

Post by turbina » Wed Jan 29, 2014 5:58 pm

Accepted to the University of New Mexico via email! It's the first one and I'm so glad it came this early, so I can stop worrying about not getting in anywhere...

Congratulations to all of those already accepted and best of luck to everyone!

catharsis

Post by catharsis » Thu Jan 30, 2014 2:20 pm

I got Upenn, Hopkins, and Maryland (College Park) acceptances three business days in a row -- with a PGRE of 690. I had a health excuse but did not directly state its correlation to my score in my application. There's hope, guys! Not everyone needs a 990 (which was a big surprise to me at first).

10 more to hear from... Good luck all!

XC423

Post by XC423 » Thu Jan 30, 2014 2:23 pm

nik wrote:Congratulations to those who already got accepted. I have applied to some of the schools that already published results (UChicago, UT-Autin, Upenn, Rochester) but I didn't get any reply yet. I guess my applications were too late - most of them marginally before the deadline and some were complete (with score, LOR) after the deadline.
I think that the lateness of your applications may be the main reason why you haven't heard yet. I think that the admissions process for most of the schools is 'rolling' in the sense that they review and make decisions on applications in the order in which they were completed.

If it makes you feel any better, I haven't heard back from Penn yet, and its one of my top choices. And if you ask people to post their results on the 2014 applicants page, I think you should too :p

nik

Post by nik » Thu Jan 30, 2014 5:44 pm

XC423 wrote: I think that the lateness of your applications may be the main reason why you haven't heard yet. I think that the admissions process for most of the schools is 'rolling' in the sense that they review and make decisions on applications in the order in which they were completed.

If it makes you feel any better, I haven't heard back from Penn yet, and its one of my top choices. And if you ask people to post their results on the 2014 applicants page, I think you should too :p
Hey XC,

Thanks for your reply. I have a serious risk of being left-out (application discarded) by admission committee.

The reason I didn't post my profile is because it's pretty much fucked up. An engineering BSc then Engineering MS (jointly in 2 institution) then again BS in Physics... I attended 4 institutions and have some irrelevant unfruitful research experience with no publications... I actually don't know how to write it nicely there.

I think the universities are probably accepting only the very-high-profilers and and rejecting only very-low-profilers. The mid-range-profiles will be put in competitions which will take time. I was asking others to post their profile to see if I am right or wrong. More precisely, I was interested only about their PGRE score. I guess people who are already accepted has a very high PGRE (920+) and those who got rejected probably has low PGRE.

By the way my PGRE is 860 - something I consider in the middle and not quite fit for Chicago, Penn or Austin.

tsymmetry

Post by tsymmetry » Thu Jan 30, 2014 5:56 pm

I think the date you hear back depends more on your intended subfield than when you submitted the application. I submitted one or two days before the deadline for my December 15-17 schools and was still admitted to Chicago and Michigan a week ago. I hear they usually will give your application to a professor you express interest in working with and that they may provide feedback to the committee, so I guess if someone takes longer to respond to the committee it may delay your response. It may also delay your response if they are still thinking about whether they should admit you. The people who are rejected the earliest are the ones who wouldn't make the cut regardless according to one of my professors.

XC423

Post by XC423 » Thu Jan 30, 2014 6:01 pm

nik wrote:
The reason I didn't post my profile is because it's pretty much fucked up. An engineering BSc then Engineering MS (jointly in 2 institution) then again BS in Physics... I attended 4 institutions and have some irrelevant unfruitful research experience with no publications... I actually don't know how to write it nicely there.

I think the universities are probably accepting only the very-high-profilers and and rejecting only very-low-profilers. The mid-range-profiles will be put in competitions which will take time. I was asking others to post their profile to see if I am right or wrong. More precisely, I was interested only about their PGRE score. I guess people who are already accepted has a very high PGRE (920+) and those who got rejected probably has low PGRE.

By the way my PGRE is 860 - something I consider in the middle and not quite fit for Chicago, Penn or Austin.
I suspect that you are correct about the 'high profile' and 'low profile' applicants. But I think that tsymmetry makes a good point too. I have done research that made me very attractive to UW and SUNY Stony Brook. I think you have a very competitive score though that should give you a very good shot at UPenn. The UPenn website says that the average PGRE for the matriculants in 2012 was 781.

And I don't think that you should feel like you screwed up. I have met plenty of people in my current school who have decided to switch directions and have gone back to get another bachelors degree. I also screwed up my applications last year and was rejected from all the PhD programs to which I applied. I hope it goes better for you this year than it did for me last year!

catharsis

Post by catharsis » Fri Jan 31, 2014 9:47 am

nik wrote:
XC423 wrote: I think that the lateness of your applications may be the main reason why you haven't heard yet. I think that the admissions process for most of the schools is 'rolling' in the sense that they review and make decisions on applications in the order in which they were completed.

Hey XC,

Thanks for your reply. I have a serious risk of being left-out (application discarded) by admission committee.

Again, there are PGREs much lower than that getting into good places and PGREs higher being rejected already. It's the whole person! Good luck.

nik

Post by nik » Fri Jan 31, 2014 10:25 am

catharsis wrote: Again, there are PGREs much lower than that getting into good places and PGREs higher being rejected already. It's the whole person! Good luck.
Yeh, I saw some 920+ rejected (don't remember where) and some 690 accepted in Cornell.

My SOP is not strong... and I should have hurried :|

XC423

Post by XC423 » Fri Jan 31, 2014 10:46 am

Prepare yourselves, a wave of decisions is coming!

I must have received about 90% of my application decisions of Fridays, haha
Last edited by XC423 on Fri Jan 31, 2014 12:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ol

Post by ol » Fri Jan 31, 2014 11:27 am

Has anyone heard anything from Caltech's applied physics program? Someone on gradcafe posted an interview for materials science which is in the same department, but I think they do admissions separately. Thanks.

Also, congrats to people who've already been admitted places. And for the people who've already received rejections - it's the school's loss. Not yours. Don't sweat it.

catharsis

Post by catharsis » Fri Jan 31, 2014 12:13 pm

nik wrote:
catharsis wrote: Again, there are PGREs much lower than that getting into good places and PGREs higher being rejected already. It's the whole person! Good luck.
Yeh, I saw some 920+ rejected (don't remember where) and some 690 accepted in Cornell.

My SOP is not strong... and I should have hurried :|

I feel like everyone has a weak spot or two in their application; from the committee's POV, when they see so many of these, I think it's pretty easy for them to read between the lines and get a general idea of how you'll do as a graduate student. I guess really at this point, it's all been set, so try to just be proud of how far you've come and keep those fingers crossed. I hope you get in somewhere wonderful! :)