Honors/Awards on Grad School Apps

• This has become our largest and most active forum because the physics GRE is just one aspect of getting accepted into a graduate physics program.
  • There are applications, personal statements, letters of recommendation, visiting schools, anxiety of waiting for acceptances, deciding between schools, finding out where others are going, etc.

cylon_destroyer

Honors/Awards on Grad School Apps

Post by cylon_destroyer » Fri Dec 20, 2013 8:38 pm

Hey guys,
Random question... but all graduate school applications have sections for 'honors/awards' or something of that sort. Is it really that common for people to be able to fill this section out? I've pretty much left it blank on every app so far.

TakeruK

Re: Honors/Awards on Grad School Apps

Post by TakeruK » Sat Dec 21, 2013 7:30 pm

I think it would be a nice boost to your application if you had awards that were competitive or significant in some way. Depending on your undergrad, there may or may not be lots of smaller awards you might be awarded but I don't think it would really matter if you had an award like "top student in Introductory E&M" for example, but I would probably put it on anyways! Basically, I would say that you should not stress out or feel bad that you don't have much to say here! Applications are judged as a whole.

bfollinprm

Post by bfollinprm » Mon Dec 23, 2013 1:38 am

I think most people just have generic GPA based awards in this section, but some will have more weighty awards. Definitely don't stress since the presence of these things won't generally make much of a difference, but if there's something relatively dumb you got (SPS honor society member, Dean's list for a semester, etc) I'd add it to keep it from being blank.

photomagnetic

Post by photomagnetic » Mon Dec 23, 2013 12:02 pm

how about getting a fellowship from a national science organization?
that *** is good right?

TakeruK

Post by TakeruK » Mon Dec 23, 2013 1:25 pm

Definitely national level awards are good. I think it's straightforward that the larger the scope of the award, the better it is. I think a good dividing line is whether or not you have to compete with people outside of your own school (e.g. a provincial or state wide fellowship) or if you are competing within your school but you are the top student, e.g. "top BS graduate at University X". I think awards like this are "worth" the most and that most applicants won't have something like it, so that would be a definite advantage.

In general, I would say if you are not sure about adding an award, just add it if your list is empty--the worst that could happen is that they ignore it. But don't go crazy and have a dozen meaningless awards--if you have a lot then I'd list the top 4-6 awards unless they are all very prestigious!

photomagnetic

Post by photomagnetic » Mon Dec 23, 2013 1:46 pm

cheers Takeruk.
I was awarded with 2 fellowships.
one for my MSc thesis from my uni. I am the top guy in my class. In fact I am the only guy who has a 4.00 gpa since 2005.
the other fellowship is from a research, national science org.

I guess that would be enough for an acceptance. I freakishly hope!

TakeruK

Post by TakeruK » Mon Dec 23, 2013 3:12 pm

Congrats! Those things are good to include and it will probably help :)

photomagnetic

Post by photomagnetic » Tue Dec 24, 2013 6:45 pm

=) it's really nice to hear that kind of comments.
in these days i bet lots of people are in chaos as well.
i am having nightmares time to time =)