CV

• This has become our largest and most active forum because the physics GRE is just one aspect of getting accepted into a graduate physics program.
  • There are applications, personal statements, letters of recommendation, visiting schools, anxiety of waiting for acceptances, deciding between schools, finding out where others are going, etc.

VT

CV

Post by VT » Sat Nov 24, 2007 4:08 pm

GUYS,
just kick me and plz give me the damn website where I can see HOW TO WRITE MY FREAKIN CV! I am having a really hard time! YES, I'm not a professional person!
i googled it, foogled it and I went to my career center, NOT SATISFIED with those shitty advices! You people must have great idea to write a good CV
I have several awards from my shitty school which I found to be ranked somewhere like 70, I guess in US News! I still think this school is Nowhere school! ( I am not saying this coz I am an international or so). I hate liberal arts, coz I got a C+ in my history class in freshman year. F*** history! :x
But any ways, the whole point is I would really appreciate it if you guys could forward me any website that provides best resources for getting started with our CV( if u guys already know it)
Thanks.

vicente

Post by vicente » Sat Nov 24, 2007 6:32 pm

I found a link:
http://career.studentaffairs.duke.edu/g ... ly/cv.html

But I wanted to add to your question: I currently have an up-to-date resume. Is it that important to have a CV as well? Because since I don't really have any publications to explain at this point in my career I think my CV would look exactly like my resume except with complete sentences describing my research/work experience instead of bullet points.

VT

Post by VT » Sat Nov 24, 2007 6:39 pm

Don worry, CV is not imp, soemwhere it is REQUIRED, I am applying to few shitty places and there they ask CV! Top schools do not ask for CV, they need hardcore GRE which I screwed it up!

vicente

Post by vicente » Sat Nov 24, 2007 7:56 pm

I think it's the other way around.

UT Austin asks for a CV and they are a top 15.

schmit.paul

Post by schmit.paul » Sun Nov 25, 2007 3:54 am

every one of your professors likely has a link to their CV on their personal homepage. a CV is not like a personal statement, it is a recounting of sterile, factual data, and so there are no outstanding "techniques" to write a CV that will blow away an admissions committee that doesn't require already having a PRL and a cover story in Nature (joking). Look at the format for a few of your professors' CVs (and understand they've had many more years than you to add items to it), and type away.

quizivex

Post by quizivex » Sun Nov 25, 2007 3:54 pm

yeah that's a good idea, lots of professors have them posted. that's what I did to model mine.

i'm trying to fit mine on one page, so i left out my address to save two lines... i think that's ok since the address is elsewhere on the app... but i hope this breach of formality doesn't tank my whole app ;-)

geomar

Post by geomar » Mon Nov 26, 2007 12:58 am

While I am sure all your friends with resumes have been told that having a resume longer than 1 page is preposterous, I wouldn't be too worried about a longer CV. I would say a 2 page CV is fine. Possibly more if for some reason have a lot of publications/awards.

quizivex

Post by quizivex » Mon Nov 26, 2007 6:17 am

I agree there's nothing wrong with a 2 or more page CV... but everything I have to say fits cleanly on one page if I omit the address, and I'd prefer to have a clean single page CV than add a 2nd page with 3 lines on it haha.

twistor

Post by twistor » Mon Nov 26, 2007 12:37 pm

I don't see how they can require it to be one page. Mine takes two pages to include all my research, papers, talks, education, etc. and I couldn't shorten it without omitting important parts. I just used M$'s resume template, and my advisor told me it was fine. Content is more important than format.

tnoviell

Post by tnoviell » Mon Nov 26, 2007 3:29 pm

A resume should be about 1 page, a CV can be many more pages. There are clear distinctions between the two, depending on your profession.

quizivex

Post by quizivex » Tue Nov 27, 2007 4:10 am

@twistor

It's not required to be just one page. If you have that many talks, publications etc... that you need more room, then great.

The reason I was trying to make it one page was not to adhere to some official rule but just to make it easier to deal with. Unfortunately, I don't have many awards or publications to mention, so one page is enough. At my school, there are no merit awards, just need-based and minority scholarships.

VT

Post by VT » Tue Nov 27, 2007 12:07 pm

Can we substitute a resume with a CV? I have my CV ready now. I don wanna waste my time with shitty Resume again! Will this matter!
My CV is concise(1 page) and dense( awards, pub,indep work, directed work, summer project, one line for each)

My resume will look the same( 1 page) only format will be different.
I noticed that there is fundamental difference between CV and resume( not just the length).
CV- You have dates on one side and a brief explanation on the other side
Resume- totally different.

twistor

Post by twistor » Tue Nov 27, 2007 2:11 pm

I always thought "resume" and "CV" were synonyms.

vicente

Post by vicente » Tue Nov 27, 2007 2:59 pm

http://www.searchmastersinternational.c ... me_cv.html

http://www.cvcl.co.uk/resume-writing.htm

In the U.S. (and by extension Canada), employers usually ask for resumes, whereas in Europe, they ask for CVs.
Last edited by vicente on Tue Nov 27, 2007 6:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

VT

Post by VT » Tue Nov 27, 2007 5:05 pm

Vicente, thanks for your info. That really helps.
But do any of you guys know what the std font size is for CV? Is it 11 or 12!

"Times new Roman" : this is the std font, right?