Didn't do well on the PGRE... wait to apply?

DanTheClimbingMan

Didn't do well on the PGRE... wait to apply?

Post by DanTheClimbingMan » Mon Nov 18, 2013 11:02 am

Hello everyone,

I just got the scores back from the October PGRE, and I really messed up. I have a decent portfolio and I was hoping to apply to some top ten schools, but when I got my PGRE scores back, I had scored 700 on the dot. It's mostly my fault--I bit off way more than I can chew this semester and it ended up screwing me over where it most counted.

I'm trying to figure out what to do. What I REALLY want to do is retake the PGRE in April and apply after that, but I don't know if I would then have to wait a full year or not before applying. Do schools have off-semester applications, or will I be waiting for applications next December?

Should I apply now anyways, or should I not waste my time? Will waiting hurt me? I have a decent engineering/science full time job that I can accept for now and work at for a while.

Thanks for the input.... :(

TomServo

Re: Didn't do well on the PGRE... wait to apply?

Post by TomServo » Mon Nov 18, 2013 6:56 pm

DanTheClimbingMan wrote:Hello everyone,

I just got the scores back from the October PGRE, and I really messed up. I have a decent portfolio and I was hoping to apply to some top ten schools, but when I got my PGRE scores back, I had scored 700 on the dot. It's mostly my fault--I bit off way more than I can chew this semester and it ended up screwing me over where it most counted.

I'm trying to figure out what to do. What I REALLY want to do is retake the PGRE in April and apply after that, but I don't know if I would then have to wait a full year or not before applying. Do schools have off-semester applications, or will I be waiting for applications next December?

Should I apply now anyways, or should I not waste my time? Will waiting hurt me? I have a decent engineering/science full time job that I can accept for now and work at for a while.

Thanks for the input.... :(

I'm in a super-similar situation, except instead of aiming for top ten schools I was aiming for theory. Got a 700. Could have done far better with more than a few days study time, took on too much, health probs, etc.

Usually Spring applicants don't get funded. Funding is allocated in Jan/Feb for all the Fall apps.

Look at it this way: getting into the right program for you matters more than school prestige. And you'd be waiting a whole other year. A year not taking grad classes or getting any closer to grad school, just to improve one thing. LORs and SOPs and research experience matter more than PGRE.