Bad GPA in a Different Dep. Good M.Sc. GPA

Pilaki

Bad GPA in a Different Dep. Good M.Sc. GPA

Post by Pilaki » Sun Oct 20, 2013 1:03 pm

Hello everyone.
I was looking through the forums, I got depressed actually as I went through the forum. People saying their GPA's are bad even though 3.5+. I am an international student, I got my bachalor's degree from Industrial engineering with 2.65/4.00. I really did not want to go to that department so with lack of motivation and etc caused this. Later I got accepted to the M.Sc. in Physics and I have graduated with a 4.00/4.00. (probably the only one in M.Sc. program)

I really wonder what are my chances to get accepted in a U.S. university. I took GRE exam yesterday so I dunno about it but I don't have high expectations. Any advise would be much appreciated. I am not aiming for top 20. The universities I am thinking ranging from ranks 20-90.

amirpouyan

Re: Bad GPA in a Different Dep. Good M.Sc. GPA

Post by amirpouyan » Mon Nov 18, 2013 1:07 am

Pilaki wrote:Hello everyone.
I was looking through the forums, I got depressed actually as I went through the forum. People saying their GPA's are bad even though 3.5+. I am an international student, I got my bachalor's degree from Industrial engineering with 2.65/4.00. I really did not want to go to that department so with lack of motivation and etc caused this. Later I got accepted to the M.Sc. in Physics and I have graduated with a 4.00/4.00. (probably the only one in M.Sc. program)

I really wonder what are my chances to get accepted in a U.S. university. I took GRE exam yesterday so I dunno about it but I don't have high expectations. Any advise would be much appreciated. I am not aiming for top 20. The universities I am thinking ranging from ranks 20-90.
i am also international and i know many of friends who got into good programs(like austin, st louise ...) with the situation similar to you, but they had high PGRE or if not , they had publication at least,

photomagnetic

Re: Bad GPA in a Different Dep. Good M.Sc. GPA

Post by photomagnetic » Wed Dec 04, 2013 5:48 pm

exactly my situtation
undergrad 2.75
msc 4.00

but i got a 890 in october exam
and i have 2 papers, 2 proceedings/posters
i believe everything will be bettr than expected.