funding a suitable grad school

• If you want to know something about the GRE subject test in physics then chances are you will find it in here.
  • If something about the physics GRE it isn't already discussed in here then please put it in here.

mrfotih

funding a suitable grad school

Post by mrfotih » Sun Aug 11, 2013 10:52 pm

I have found a school which has at least 15 professors working on a field, which i am interested in. I was very happy to find such a huge program of my filed of interest, but almost all the professors are in their sixties or seventies, except one or two in fifties.
Do you think it is better to chose a school with younger professors? Is in't risky to work with an old professor?

ElenaPh

Re: funding a suitable grad school

Post by ElenaPh » Mon Aug 12, 2013 6:57 am

mrfotih wrote:I have found a school which has at least 15 professors working on a field, which i am interested in. I was very happy to find such a huge program of my filed of interest, but almost all the professors are in their sixties or seventies, except one or two in fifties.
Do you think it is better to chose a school with younger professors? Is in't risky to work with an old professor?

It depends on how many years you plan to work with a professor :D

deekin

Post by deekin » Mon Aug 12, 2013 11:21 am

I doubt all 15 of them will drop dead once you become a student. Apply and see what happens!

ElenaPh

Post by ElenaPh » Mon Aug 12, 2013 11:32 am

deekin wrote:I doubt all 15 of them will drop dead once you become a student. Apply and see what happens!

haha....good one :D

mrfotih

Post by mrfotih » Mon Aug 12, 2013 12:33 pm

Except dropping dead :mrgreen: , senior professors usually established themselves already, and also they may not be very active researchers. Most of them may not interact with their students directly, which is not very desirable!

bfollinprm

Post by bfollinprm » Mon Aug 12, 2013 3:44 pm

It's pretty easy to check to see if a professor is (still) doing interesting active research. If the answer is yes, who cares how old he/she is?