UCI or Georgia Tech

samshaq19912009

UCI or Georgia Tech

Post by samshaq19912009 » Fri Mar 15, 2013 4:44 am

Hello everyone. really need your advice please.
I have got physics PhD offers from both universities and I do not know which one to choose. UCI(UC Irvine) has great location and you know, California has many chances for high-technology jobs. Georgia Tech is really famous for its school of engineering but I do not know what about physics PhD from Gatech? It is said that PhD in Gatech can get a master degree from CS or EE. But would that be useful? Since I only have to take 3 3-credit courses to get a master degree.
So really looking forward to your advice!!!!! Thanks a lot!!!!

bfollinprm

Re: UCI or Georgia Tech

Post by bfollinprm » Fri Mar 15, 2013 9:11 pm

samshaq19912009 wrote:Hello everyone. really need your advice please.
It is said that PhD in Gatech can get a master degree from CS or EE. But would that be useful?
no, that would not be useful. or rather, if it is, then getting the PhD is not useful. It may be useful to include such courses in your course list depending on your research and after-phd plans, but you can do that at either school.

You applied to GA Tech and you "do not know [anything] about physics PhD['s]" from there? Really? Not sure what you want us to do for you here; you need to do the legwork yourself and see if the opportunities that excite you at Tech outweigh those at Irvine, or vice-versa.

Also, not sure there are any more high-tech jobs in south-west LA than there are in Atlanta. There might be more in Atlanta. Why the density of tech jobs matters while you're pursuing the PhD is something I'm not too clear on, either. In most cases, your advisor will not take kindly to you leaving for summers or semesters to go do internships.

EDIT: I've made a decision for you. It's GA Tech

samshaq19912009

Re: UCI or Georgia Tech

Post by samshaq19912009 » Mon Mar 18, 2013 11:09 pm

Thanks so much for your reply.
Actually I have looked through the page of Gatech Physics and perhaps professors there are not as interesting as those in UCI.
I have made my mind to go to UCI for the locations. Thanks any way.
bfollinprm wrote:
samshaq19912009 wrote:Hello everyone. really need your advice please.
It is said that PhD in Gatech can get a master degree from CS or EE. But would that be useful?
no, that would not be useful. or rather, if it is, then getting the PhD is not useful. It may be useful to include such courses in your course list depending on your research and after-phd plans, but you can do that at either school.

You applied to GA Tech and you "do not know [anything] about physics PhD['s]" from there? Really? Not sure what you want us to do for you here; you need to do the legwork yourself and see if the opportunities that excite you at Tech outweigh those at Irvine, or vice-versa.

Also, not sure there are any more high-tech jobs in south-west LA than there are in Atlanta. There might be more in Atlanta. Why the density of tech jobs matters while you're pursuing the PhD is something I'm not too clear on, either. In most cases, your advisor will not take kindly to you leaving for summers or semesters to go do internships.

EDIT: I've made a decision for you. It's GA Tech