NoGodTryScience

Post by NoGodTryScience » Mon Mar 18, 2013 6:54 pm

Last edited by NoGodTryScience on Wed Jul 22, 2015 4:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

kangaroo

Re: Late withdrawing and graduate school

Post by kangaroo » Mon Mar 18, 2013 7:08 pm

Yes, withdraw NOW. One withdraw won't do anything bad for you, only a long history of withdrawals would make people sit up and notice.

Skullgrid

Post by Skullgrid » Mon Mar 18, 2013 7:37 pm

I agree with kangaroo. One withdrawal won't be the end of the world. On the other hand, QM is a very important part of the undergrad curriculum (yes, even for, if not especially for, someone going on in astronomy); you might want to consider discussing it briefly in your SOP when the time comes. I don't think it will be a big deal, especially if you have good research (if you haven't started thinking about that, now is the time).

microacg

Post by microacg » Mon Mar 18, 2013 7:40 pm

I would think you would be better off not mentioning it, but being prepared in case someone asks about it. If you withdrew from quantum sophomore year and then got an A junior year, and there is not a pattern of this, the only thing you have to gain from addressing it is pointing out how you might sleep through your phd classes.

Skullgrid

Post by Skullgrid » Mon Mar 18, 2013 8:35 pm

microacg wrote:I would think you would be better off not mentioning it, but being prepared in case someone asks about it. If you withdrew from quantum sophomore year and then got an A junior year, and there is not a pattern of this, the only thing you have to gain from addressing it is pointing out how you might sleep through your phd classes.
I guess I was assuming that this was the only undergrad QM class. If there is another more advanced class, then there shouldn't be a problem (just make sure you ace it).