Harvard applied physics vs. MIT physics

cguyjh

Harvard applied physics vs. MIT physics

Post by cguyjh » Wed Feb 20, 2013 11:00 am

Hi all~
I am an international student and have been admitted to both Harvard (applied physics) and MIT (physics).

Could you please give me any comments regarding these grad schools?
Specifically, I am thinking of conducting doctoral research in the field of condensed matter or AMO experiment.

In your personal opinion, which school is better choice, particularly for above research fields?
Actually, my undergrad major was not physics, but mechanical engineering, so it is really tough to determine only by my own knowledge.

Thank you!

blighter

Re: Harvard applied physics vs. MIT physics

Post by blighter » Wed Feb 20, 2013 11:21 am

Holy hell! I would be interested in knowing how you got into Harvard and MIT being from a non-physics background and an international student at that.

About you question, both are equally good schools. Both are in Cambridge, so no differences there either. Your choice would depend on your research interests. Look up the faculty profiles for that.

cguyjh

Post by cguyjh » Wed Feb 20, 2013 12:31 pm

blighter wrote:Holy hell! I would be interested in knowing how you got into Harvard and MIT being from a non-physics background and an international student at that.

About you question, both are equally good schools. Both are in Cambridge, so no differences there either. Your choice would depend on your research interests. Look up the faculty profiles for that.
Thank you for your advice.
I also think I am lucky to have this great opportunity.
Anyway, for your interest, the following is brief description about my academic record.

- GPA: 3.92/4.0 (BS), 3.96/4.0 (MS), summa cum laude in Mech. Eng.
- GRE general: 580/800/3.5, subject(physics): 990, 95%
- Three publications: Nature photonics (2011, lead co-author), New Journal of Physics (2012, lead author), Annalen der Physik (2013, lead co-author)
- Collaborating projects with MPQ (Max-Planck-Institute of Quantum Optics)
- External fellowship (annual $50k for 5 academic years)

blighter

Post by blighter » Wed Feb 20, 2013 12:57 pm

Awesome! Congratulations. Anyway you can't go wrong when choosing between Harvard and MIT.

I'd read somewhere about someone (I don't really recall who. Someone famous.) who had done his undergrad in Harvard and then moved to MIT for his PhD and he was of the opinion that MIT was better. It'd be great if someone reading this knows who I'm talking about. :)

lordbadri

Post by lordbadri » Thu Feb 21, 2013 4:03 pm

cguyjh wrote:Hi all~
I am an international student and have been admitted to both Harvard (applied physics) and MIT (physics).

Could you please give me any comments regarding these grad schools?
Specifically, I am thinking of conducting doctoral research in the field of condensed matter or AMO experiment.

In your personal opinion, which school is better choice, particularly for above research fields?
Actually, my undergrad major was not physics, but mechanical engineering, so it is really tough to determine only by my own knowledge.

Thank you!
Please Post your profile!

Really interested to know. :shock:

tansu.daylan

Post by tansu.daylan » Wed Mar 27, 2013 12:07 pm

Nowadays I am similarly strained by this tough decision between Harvard and MIT physics departments. It appears that both departments are very strong. I believe the same is true for the applied physics at Harvard, especially in the field of photonics. Most of the people I have talked to simply said "It's a 'never go wrong' choice".

Yet it is still true that the decision will depend on the specific field of research one might want to pursue. Personally I am very much intrigued by problems in astro-particle physics. The bad news is that both departments are also very strong in this field. Therefore I currently feel like a superposition of eigenstates yet to collapse randomly. I am looking forward to attend both Open Houses and would recommend you also do so if you can. I have been told that it helps a lot in choosing the school suitable for your interests.

blighter

Post by blighter » Wed Mar 27, 2013 12:34 pm

I really feel sorry for you, man. Really do.

babitza

Post by babitza » Wed Mar 27, 2013 12:40 pm

Congrats on your acceptances! They are very impressive.
First of all, I don't go to either of these schools so feel free to throw out my advice (this is not first-hand info). However, from talking to friends who have gone, I tend to get the impression that these schools have two very different general atmospheres/cultures associated with them. Due to my relative ignorance, I don't want to bias you one way or the other by saying one or the other is "better" - but given that they both have great research in your field, this is probably something you will want to pay close attention to while visiting. It will most likely greatly influence your level of happiness while in grad school...