2013 Acceptances

• This has become our largest and most active forum because the physics GRE is just one aspect of getting accepted into a graduate physics program.
  • There are applications, personal statements, letters of recommendation, visiting schools, anxiety of waiting for acceptances, deciding between schools, finding out where others are going, etc.

Robespierre

2013 Acceptances

Post by Robespierre » Mon Jan 21, 2013 7:33 pm

I'll start with the fact that Michigan has sent out its early offers.

(I'll post my profile at some point.)

I've applied for theoretical cosmology, with emphasis on inflation and dark energy (Katherine Freese), but I doubt this had anything to do with it.
Last edited by Robespierre on Mon Jan 21, 2013 8:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

photonic

Re: 2013 Acceptances

Post by photonic » Mon Jan 21, 2013 7:55 pm

According to gradcafe UWashington, UMinnesota, and UIUC have all been sending out some earlier acceptances. Someone actually just posted one from UPenn, and they say on their site that they'll be sending out acceptances starting in late January.

I have way too much time on my hand and I see the UPenn acceptance was to guy and there was a UW acceptance for quantumfan.
Congrats!

Also for those that applied to Cambridge, I think they have a rolling deadline/acceptance thing so I wouldn't worry if you haven't heard back from them. You get accepted before you find about scholarships so the waiting doesn't end there :(

Tom Joad

Post by Tom Joad » Mon Jan 21, 2013 9:40 pm

Word on the street is that Arizona State sent out some acceptances also.

Robespierre

Post by Robespierre » Mon Jan 21, 2013 9:50 pm

By the way, MIT says "Admissions decisions will be posted by approximately the beginning of March, and you may log into your online account at that point to find your decision. In most cases, the results will be posted rather than mailed." However, last year it seems like people were notified by e-mail around mid-February. Did MIT say the same thing on the webpage last year as well? Or did they change the notification system?

Also, it seems to be true that MIT admits students on a group-by-group basis (or at least on a division-by-division basis - but I guess that's true for most schools), at least to some extent: http://web.mit.edu/physics/current/grad ... l#division.

Minovsky

Post by Minovsky » Mon Jan 21, 2013 11:57 pm

Robespierre wrote:Also, it seems to be true that MIT admits students on a group-by-group basis (or at least on a division-by-division basis - but I guess that's true for most schools), at least to some extent: http://web.mit.edu/physics/current/grad ... l#division.
I don't think this is true for most schools. Most schools that I looked at don't make you choose a specialty until your 2nd year or so. MIT is different because (ironically) they're a very segregated department (at least in terms of admin stuff). It is my understanding that at MIT, you're funded by a particular division e.g. the Experimental HEP division. If you want to change to e.g. theoretical condensed matter, it has to be arranged for the CM-Th division to start funding you and the HEP-Ex division to stop funding you. At most schools you're accepted to the department, at MIT I think you're accepted into a particular research division. From the FAQ, it looks like most incoming students start on an RA, rather than a TA.

Robespierre

Post by Robespierre » Tue Jan 22, 2013 12:08 am

In that sense, yes, MIT seems to be special even if it's only on a divions-by-division basis. What I meant was that most schools still probably admit students based on the availability of spots in each field. They're probably more lenient once you're accepted than MIT, though, and as you point out the fact that MIT makes you do research right away is another thing pointing in this direction (that MIT's admission is much more field-specific). I guess the good thing is that if you're accepted, you are pretty much guaranteed to work with the research group of your interest.

goingnuclear

Post by goingnuclear » Thu Jan 24, 2013 1:41 pm

Just received an offer from UC Irvine. :)

relativeflux

Post by relativeflux » Thu Jan 24, 2013 7:41 pm

Just got an acceptance to U Minnesota astrophysics.

Meteorshower

Post by Meteorshower » Thu Jan 24, 2013 9:56 pm

Just got accepted from University of Wisconsin Madison. I am absolutely over the moon and too tired to understand any of the financial detail stuff :D

nerdpunk

Post by nerdpunk » Thu Jan 24, 2013 10:07 pm

Last edited by nerdpunk on Mon Apr 08, 2013 4:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Tom Joad

Post by Tom Joad » Fri Jan 25, 2013 10:18 pm

To all those who have already received acceptances, congratulations!

Also, I have a question for those who have applied to Caltech. Do some of you still have "No current status. Please check back late" for your GRE scores on your application status pages? I've heard stories about ETS slipping up before, but I'm hoping they just haven't updated it yet.
Last edited by Tom Joad on Sat Feb 09, 2013 2:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Cosmojo

Post by Cosmojo » Fri Jan 25, 2013 10:29 pm

I got my first acceptance this week too! How is everyone's stipend looking? My official offer is still forthcoming, they just said I for sure have a spot!

hansolo

Post by hansolo » Sat Jan 26, 2013 12:30 am

Tom Joad wrote:To all those who have already received acceptances, congratulations!

Also, I have a question for those how have applied to Caltech. Do some of you still have "No current status. Please check back late" for your GRE scores on your application status pages? I've heard stories about ETS slipping up before, but I'm hoping they just haven't updated it yet.

My status says the scores were received on 1/9/13. However, I sent them in my "first four" score reports that are free with the tests, back in September and October. How did ETS slip up before?

Tom Joad

Post by Tom Joad » Sat Jan 26, 2013 10:22 am

hansolo wrote:
Tom Joad wrote:To all those who have already received acceptances, congratulations!

Also, I have a question for those how have applied to Caltech. Do some of you still have "No current status. Please check back late" for your GRE scores on your application status pages? I've heard stories about ETS slipping up before, but I'm hoping they just haven't updated it yet.

My status says the scores were received on 1/9/13. However, I sent them in my "first four" score reports that are free with the tests, back in September and October. How did ETS slip up before?
Thanks, I sent them in late November, so hopefully they are just slow in updating. They do have my self-reported scores so hopefully it won't be a big issue.

I've seen posts by people who say that they sent the score reports but the schools never received them due to an error on ETS' part.

photonic

Post by photonic » Sat Jan 26, 2013 1:41 pm

hansolo wrote:
Tom Joad wrote:

Thanks, I sent them in late November, so hopefully they are just slow in updating. They do have my self-reported scores so hopefully it won't be a big issue.

I've seen posts by people who say that they sent the score reports but the schools never received them due to an error on ETS' part.
I would email the graduate school itself if they still say your scores haven't been received. For one school I applied to they said online the scores hadn't been received, I emailed them, and apparently I forgot to fill in a form thats used to automatically match the scores to the applicant, so it could be technical issues on their part.

P-representation

Post by P-representation » Sat Jan 26, 2013 6:52 pm

I had similar problems with Rochester for my toefl scores. Turned out to be a problem with ETS itself.

Tom Joad

Post by Tom Joad » Mon Jan 28, 2013 9:58 am

Thanks, guys. I emailed them, so we'll see what they say.

goingnuclear

Post by goingnuclear » Mon Jan 28, 2013 4:54 pm

Unofficial acceptance from UCSD via e-mail. For exp. plasma.

wololo

Post by wololo » Tue Jan 29, 2013 3:49 pm

photonic wrote:
hansolo wrote:
Tom Joad wrote:

I would email the graduate school itself if they still say your scores haven't been received. For one school I applied to they said online the scores hadn't been received, I emailed them, and apparently I forgot to fill in a form thats used to automatically match the scores to the applicant, so it could be technical issues on their part.
I have the same situation with Columbia, my GRE and TOEFL scores are not received. I emailed the department but no reply yet. Anyone in a similar situation?

dau

Post by dau » Tue Jan 29, 2013 4:06 pm

wololo wrote: I have the same situation with Columbia, my GRE and TOEFL scores are not received. I emailed the department but no reply yet. Anyone in a similar situation?
I have exactly the same situation with Columbia, but I haven't written to them yet because they say it can take one month from the deadline (January 3) to update their records.

kboone

Post by kboone » Tue Jan 29, 2013 4:12 pm

UCSB just sent out their first round of acceptances by email.
Last edited by kboone on Wed Feb 06, 2013 4:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

esopterodactyl

Post by esopterodactyl » Tue Jan 29, 2013 4:36 pm

dau wrote:
wololo wrote: I have the same situation with Columbia, my GRE and TOEFL scores are not received. I emailed the department but no reply yet. Anyone in a similar situation?
I have exactly the same situation with Columbia, but I haven't written to them yet because they say it can take one month from the deadline (January 3) to update their records.
Same here. I also remember the website saying they would email us if any of the required documents were missing after the start of Feb.

physics_girl

Post by physics_girl » Tue Jan 29, 2013 8:26 pm

Michigan State sent out at least one offer today.

Skullgrid

Post by Skullgrid » Fri Feb 01, 2013 12:06 pm

CalTech Astronomy has started sending out acceptances.

goingnuclear

Post by goingnuclear » Fri Feb 01, 2013 12:28 pm

Purdue is sending out acceptances. Plasma phys

Tom Joad

Post by Tom Joad » Fri Feb 01, 2013 5:42 pm

Cornell with fellowship!!! I just happened to randomly check my admission status and saw a decision letter...they haven't even sent out an email yet.

DiracMan

Post by DiracMan » Fri Feb 01, 2013 7:17 pm

Tom Joad wrote:Cornell with fellowship!!! I just happened to randomly check my admission status and saw a decision letter...they haven't even sent out an email yet.
Where on the status page does it say you were accepted? I don't see anything on mine, which probably just means they have not posted my admission status yet. But still.

Tom Joad

Post by Tom Joad » Fri Feb 01, 2013 7:24 pm

DiracMan wrote:
Tom Joad wrote:Cornell with fellowship!!! I just happened to randomly check my admission status and saw a decision letter...they haven't even sent out an email yet.
Where on the status page does it say you were accepted? I don't see anything on mine, which probably just means they have not posted my admission status yet. But still.
It's right above the big label "Online Letters of Recommendation." There's a new button that says "View Your Decision Letter" and another that says "Complete Your Decision Form."

Skullgrid

Post by Skullgrid » Fri Feb 01, 2013 8:25 pm

Thanks for the heads up! I found mine as well :D

DiracMan

Post by DiracMan » Fri Feb 01, 2013 8:38 pm

Are you guys regular physics or applied?

Skullgrid

Post by Skullgrid » Fri Feb 01, 2013 8:40 pm

DiracMan wrote:Are you guys regular physics or applied?
Regular.

Tom Joad

Post by Tom Joad » Fri Feb 01, 2013 11:33 pm

Skullgrid wrote:
Thanks for the heads up! I found mine as well :D
Nice! Isn't it weird that we haven't gotten emails yet?

StewieVader

Post by StewieVader » Sat Feb 02, 2013 12:32 am

Couldn't find anything on my page so far. Dunno what to think :?

quantum_fan

Post by quantum_fan » Sat Feb 02, 2013 1:10 am

StewieVader wrote:Couldn't find anything on my page so far. Dunno what to think :?
Same here. Probably means no decision yet.

StewieVader

Post by StewieVader » Sat Feb 02, 2013 1:28 am

Going by last year's gradcafe results, most acceptances should be out within the first week of Feb. After that, there was a huge string of rejections :shock:

Tom Joad

Post by Tom Joad » Sat Feb 02, 2013 10:34 am

Yeah, there are still plenty of acceptances to go around, also judging by the dates in the 2012 profile thread and the 2012 acceptances thread. This first wave was just for those who got the fellowship, I think.

qubits

Post by qubits » Sat Feb 02, 2013 10:50 am

Tom Joad wrote:Thanks, guys. I emailed them, so we'll see what they say.
Hey Tom, had the same issue myself with Caltech. Did you hear from them yet? I sent two emails but still no reply. and no change in the "Track Status" page either with the subject GRE.

Tom Joad

Post by Tom Joad » Sat Feb 02, 2013 11:02 am

qubits wrote:
Hey Tom, had the same issue myself with Caltech. Did you hear from them yet? I sent two emails but still no reply. and no change in the "Track Status" page either with the subject GRE.

Nope, no reply. I'm guessing there just behind. Hopefully it won't be a big deal even if they don't have our official scores since we already self-reported them.

qubits

Post by qubits » Sat Feb 02, 2013 1:50 pm

Tom Joad wrote:
qubits wrote:

Nope, no reply. I'm guessing there just behind. Hopefully it won't be a big deal even if they don't have our official scores since we already self-reported them.

Well bad luck for me there. :? Because I submitted the application before I got the results (was worried I might miss the deadline waiting for the results to come out of the November test). Well anyway, hope for the best.

Skullgrid

Post by Skullgrid » Mon Feb 04, 2013 4:36 pm

Princeton Astrophysics has started sending out emails.

Skullgrid

Post by Skullgrid » Tue Feb 05, 2013 12:58 am

UC San Diego Physics has started sending out emails.

Lavabug

Post by Lavabug » Tue Feb 05, 2013 11:00 am

There are claims of admission/waitlists for OSU Astronomy and Physics on gradcafe. However I just emailed both and they said they're still reviewing apps, and the Physics dept. aims to respond by Feb. 15th.

I am waitlisted at Minnesota astrophysics, much to my surprise (and excitement), as I had given up hope this year. If someone isn't going please let them know sooner than later.

AprilMay4

Post by AprilMay4 » Tue Feb 05, 2013 12:39 pm

Ohio State has sent out acceptances to their Physics department. I was notified a week ago, but I am sure they are still processing applications because I haven't heard of very many people who have heard back from them yet.

Tom Joad

Post by Tom Joad » Tue Feb 05, 2013 6:16 pm

Berkeley just sent out some acceptances by email, but no funding information yet. Decisions, decisions...

By the way, in case anyone is in need of a good "acceptance dance" song, might I suggest: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PPHC0zFjE24

PS: Don't judge me. :)

Meteorshower

Post by Meteorshower » Tue Feb 05, 2013 6:43 pm

Not gonna lie, super jealous of all your offers Tom :p

Congratulations though obviously :)

AprilMay4

Post by AprilMay4 » Tue Feb 05, 2013 11:33 pm

Tom Joad wrote:
By the way, in case anyone is in need of a good "acceptance dance" song, might I suggest: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PPHC0zFjE24

This actually fits how my mood is now that I've gotten my Berkeley acceptance. Totally not judging.

kangaroo

Post by kangaroo » Tue Feb 05, 2013 11:38 pm

MIT applicants keep your eyes open...Thursday is the day

DiracMan

Post by DiracMan » Tue Feb 05, 2013 11:50 pm

kangaroo wrote:MIT applicants keep your eyes open...Thursday is the day
Why? Their website says early March. Past gradcafe results suggest mid-to-late February. What is on Thursday?

kboone

Post by kboone » Tue Feb 05, 2013 11:58 pm

UPenn has started sending out email acceptances.

photonic

Post by photonic » Wed Feb 06, 2013 12:45 am

DiracMan wrote:
Why? Their website says early March. Past gradcafe results suggest mid-to-late February. What is on Thursday?
I also gotta know, how do you know its going to be Thursday?
kboone wrote:UPenn has started sending out email acceptances.
Official acceptances or unofficial ones from the physics department? I know my application is still listed as incomplete because they haven't updated by subject GRE scores (although the general ones are up), so I hope this doesn't slow down when I hear back.

Also for those who applied to Columbia, don't worry if you're GRE scores are still listed as not being received. Apparently they still have to run the computer program that matches up your scores to your application.