Asking help for a better choice

Sina

Asking help for a better choice

Post by Sina » Sun Jan 13, 2013 8:11 am

For months ago I learn here as a great place. We talked in a post about my low score on PGRE which is 620. I decide to postpone my application for next year( actually studying for TOEFL and GRE for 1 year is boring). I can work for some months to make money(for registration) and at the same time I can study.
My Scores, GPA 2.5 ,,, PGRE 620 ,,, GRE Voc 141 ,,, GRE AW 2.5 ,,, GRE Quant 153.
I predict my TOEFL be something between 80 - 90. And I'm also adding that I'm senior of physics and I live in Iran.
OK I think I make a brief details about my scores. I want to apply to U.S. for MS or PhD. I know my scores aren't great. Since I plan to retake the PGRE in next year and I'm hopeful to get higher than 850. I'm asking you about GRE general. Do u think it's OK to report this score or you have some other advice ? I declare, my plans are around average universities not very top universities. Please have this on mind the expense of exam is a bit hard for me to pay. And I would be glad to see your advice totally about my situation ?

bfollinprm

Re: Asking help for a better choice

Post by bfollinprm » Sun Jan 13, 2013 12:57 pm

I wouldn't bother retaking the general GRE, though if possible, take some English classes. Your TOEFL score will become more important further down the rankings, I think. I don't know how easy taking English classes is in Iran, however.

Sina

Post by Sina » Sun Jan 13, 2013 1:39 pm

bfollinprm wrote:I wouldn't bother retaking the general GRE, though if possible, take some English classes. You're TOEFL score will become more important further down the rankings, I think. I don't know how easy taking English classes is in Iran, however.
If the minimum TOEFL required was 80 in IBT, scoring higher than 80 makes the acceptance possibility more ?

blighter

Post by blighter » Sun Jan 13, 2013 2:17 pm

80 is the bare minimum. They typically would like the applicants to score >100 in order to qualify for teaching appointments. Although the General GRE isn't as important as the physics one, I would recommend you to retake that as well. I know it costs a lot. But since you are taking a year off, you don't want to risk not getting admitted anywhere because of your low GRE. Good luck.

bfollinprm

Post by bfollinprm » Mon Jan 14, 2013 12:51 am

Sina wrote:
bfollinprm wrote:I wouldn't bother retaking the general GRE, though if possible, take some English classes. You're TOEFL score will become more important further down the rankings, I think. I don't know how easy taking English classes is in Iran, however.
If the minimum TOEFL required was 80 in IBT, scoring higher than 80 makes the acceptance possibility more ?
Yes. I think your general GRE is fine, don't stress about it. My guess is most of the points you lost (even on the quant section) came from meanings lost in (mental) translation; if you want to retake it go for it, but I wouldn't waste time studying much.